Which is the best Sport - Touring Tyre right now?

Which Tyre is the best Sports/Touring Tyre for an FZ6?

• Pirelli Angel ST

Votes: 34 10.4%
  • Pirelli Diaclo Rosso

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • Michelin Pilot Road 2CT

Votes: 106 32.5%
  • Bridgestone BT-023

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • Bridgestone BT-016

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • Bridgestone BT-021

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • Conti Road Attack 2

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Avon Storm 2 Ultra

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z8

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • Metzeler Roadtec Z6

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Dunlop Sportsmax Roadsmart

Votes: 34 10.4%
  • Shinko Raven

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Michelin Pilot road 3

Votes: 45 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I want more sporty, wonder when the Z8's will come out. Maybe look overseas I guess ! (Bu of course cannot find them anywhere)

Hey Humps the new Z8 and the M5 tread patterns look very similar to me .... Wonder what the difference between them are.

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Humps the new Z8 and the M5 tread patterns look very similar to me .... Wonder what the difference between them are.

I was wondering if they are the same tyre just with a rename , I reckon you should send a pm to Azz he is running M5's so he'll tell you all about it :thumbup: I know that they are more sport than touring though :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Soooo , have you bought a pair of Metzeler's yet ??? I need the spotters fee for my new bar ends :D

No-one has em in stock in SA, not even the Z6's! Gonna wait to the Z8 arrives in Oz, then get a set of them!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you want me to go see my local dealer in the morning & see if they'll ship a set to you ?? because no stock in Adelaide is redonkulous :D

Is not redonkulous...is the norm for Adelaide buddy...only the best selling tyres are sometimes available off the shelf...normally narrow focus sports tyres, which they sell truckloads off...cause they last about 5 minutes!

See what sorta price cyou can find Humpy...that would be cool...$20 a wheel to get themfitted here in Adelaide...if i take the wheels into the shop, and not the whole bike!

:thumbup:

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Wonder how it compares to WA. I reckon the M5's would be the way to go for me if the Z8's are not out.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers Humpy. I look forward to finding out how badly we get screwed in SA....

:(

Wonder how it compares to WA. I reckon the M5's would be the way to go for me if the Z8's are not out.

I reckon SA & WA would be similar in that both Perth and Adelaide, not being the biggest places in terms of population, that both Cities suffer from a lack of price competitiveness....

:(

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if it's the best sport-touring tire, but I'm quite impressed with my current set of Battlax BT-021's.

I have roughly 2,500 miles on the set and don't see any appreciable wear.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using the BT0016 for touring but I'm going through them quickly. I'd like to lower my cost by using a tire that lasts longer but I don't want to give up any grip or profile.

Yeah yeah, you can scrape pegs on any tire I'm sure...but you're not going to tell me that a touring tire has as much ultimate grip as a sport tire....right?

Every now and then I call on my tires to give me great performance (think: changing line mid-corner when leaned over, loaded up, and hauling to avoid a large rock in the lane all while on less than perfect pavement....or having to initiate an emergency braking manuver when already leaned over etc.). I like to have as much as possible in reserve....and I think riding with camping gear strapped on puts more strain on the tires.

Anyway, these are my thoughts. They are bascially unfounded. My thought process centers around which tire offers the maximum performance that I may need. I am open to being educated and changing my mind...but until then I'm goiing to keep shelling out the cash....

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using the BT0016 for touring but I'm going through them quickly. I'd like to lower my cost by using a tire that lasts longer but I don't want to give up any grip or profile.

Yeah yeah, you can scrape pegs on any tire I'm sure...but you're not going to tell me that a touring tire has as much ultimate grip as a sport tire....right?

Every now and then I call on my tires to give me great performance (think: changing line mid-corner when leaned over, loaded up, and hauling to avoid a large rock in the lane all while on less than perfect pavement....or having to initiate an emergency braking manuver when already leaned over etc.). I like to have as much as possible in reserve....and I think riding with camping gear strapped on puts more strain on the tires.

Anyway, these are my thoughts. They are bascially unfounded. My thought process centers around which tire offers the maximum performance that I may need. I am open to being educated and changing my mind...but until then I'm goiing to keep shelling out the cash....

Your thinking is pretty much the same as mine....i am using a set of Dunlop Qualifier RR's as a touring tyre now, which are lasting a lot longer than i thought they would...but i do tend to ride the touring bike a lot more conservatively than the "sports riding" bike in the shed...

My main interest is in the Z8 from Metzeler, because they are meant to be very sticky on the sides, and nice and firm in the centre, and are definitely very much on the sport side of sort touring, in terms of outright grip (consideration number 1 for me!), but then are supposed to act like a touring tyre, in terms of mileage...

The best tyre i have previously found, that gives these qualities best, is the Michelin Pilot Road 2 CT's....you can have as much peg scraping fun as you like on them on an FZ6...and they will last 10000km's, whilst retaining their profile, grip, and overall shape, the whole time....

:thumbup: