Which is the best Sport - Touring Tyre right now?

Which Tyre is the best Sports/Touring Tyre for an FZ6?

• Pirelli Angel ST

Votes: 34 10.4%
  • Pirelli Diaclo Rosso

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • Michelin Pilot Road 2CT

Votes: 106 32.5%
  • Bridgestone BT-023

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • Bridgestone BT-016

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • Bridgestone BT-021

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • Conti Road Attack 2

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Avon Storm 2 Ultra

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z8

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • Metzeler Roadtec Z6

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Dunlop Sportsmax Roadsmart

Votes: 34 10.4%
  • Shinko Raven

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Michelin Pilot road 3

Votes: 45 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to start a pole on what tire brands are best mixed together on a bike in which I mixed 2 different brands of oil and cut my air box cover in half. See how that thread goes :D

You forgot to mention drilling holes in your exhaust! That should be in there as well....maybe even the homemade "ram air" mod....that should get people talking!

:D:D:D

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
You forgot to mention drilling holes in your exhaust! That should be in there as well....maybe even the homemade "ram air" mod....that should get people talking!

:D:D:D

I reckon you could add something about windscreens as well ;P ;P ;P haha

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
Pilot 2 CTs.

Why...cause a couple of half drunk loons told me to during a bbq at a motorbike workshop whilst watching the motogp!

I didnt argue with them. Neither should you......hey you were one of them :BLAA:

As recommended they keep their shape and are good the the wet. They also have about the same mileage as the stock concrete ones.

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
I attribute tire choices to more of a popularity contest similar to voting for high school class president. About any of the candidates can can do what is required of them, some a little better than others, but mostly, you are going to vote for whoever your friends are voting for.

that works sometimes....but when i was voted unanimously by my peers for sport house captain it was for three different reasons.

1. my mate loves to make me do stuff i hate... therefore nominated me
2. the other guy was a moron.
3. no one else was nominated.

Bacon

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ6 came fitted with Bridgestone BT020's. The front has lasted apx 9000 miles and the rear lasted for apx 6000 miles. The 020 was replaced with an 021 which has barely scraped 3000 miles.

I've actually complained to Bridgestone about it who in turn have asked me what pressure I am using. Having stated that I use 36psi and they have come back telling me that it should be 42psi. The Yamaha manual states both pressures but as I rag the nuts off of mine :thumbup: I go with the fast riding figure of 36psi.

I'm awaiting their reply but I wont be going with Bridgestone again.

piggyback1974

Reaction score
Visit site
ive put a number of miles on my pirelli angel ST's.. I absolutly love them.. great road feeling when im slabbing it on the highway.. great grip in the twisties.. i dont ride much in the rain, but they seem to work good.. i tend to slow WAAAYYYY down in wet weather, but the tires worked for me...

i had just changed to pirelli angel st tires. I was intrigued. It really hold the lines very well during cornering. I had tried braking sudden in a wet condition.the tires planted firmly on ground to a stop.:rockon: i did heard good things about PR2. but i wish to try something else. the water grooves looks quite deep which means the mileage might be longer before you need change tires.

Last edited:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How do the pilot road 2 tires compare to the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT ? I am running the stock dunlop sportmax d252 tires and they just feel squirmy in the curves. I have no "chicken strip" <--(hate that term) on the left side and about 1/8" on the right side but these tires just suck in my opinion. I would love a little more treadwear and I am tempted to go with the pilot road 2 but would it be a big upgrade in grip compared to the d252 tire or would you feel i would be better off going with the 2ct? i live in the mountains so i can not drive anywere without hiting curves :) so they make up 98% of my riding.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How do the pilot road 2 tires compare to the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT ? I am running the stock dunlop sportmax d252 tires and they just feel squirmy in the curves. I have no "chicken strip" <--(hate that term) on the left side and about 1/8" on the right side but these tires just suck in my opinion. I would love a little more treadwear and I am tempted to go with the pilot road 2 but would it be a big upgrade in grip compared to the d252 tire or would you feel i would be better off going with the 2ct? i live in the mountains so i can not drive anywere without hiting curves :) so they make up 98% of my riding.

There is only the Pilot Road (single compound), and the Pilot Road 2CT, which is the next generation 2 compound tyre...the sides of the road 2ct, are as soft as the middle of a Pilot Power 2ct, the much grippier track day orientated Michelin, which has now been superseded by the Pilot Pure....not quite as grippy as the Power 2CT, and the Pilot one....Michelin's new track day weapon!

Weird thing is, Michelin is still making the Power 2CT, alongside the Power One, and Pilot pure...

But a good indication of how good the Road 2CT's are, is that Michelin has left them alone...

Get the Road 2CT's...unless you are doing pure sports riding all the time...i dont reckon you need anything better! The Road 2CT's are lots of things in one tyre, much like the FZ6 is to bikes!

:thumbup:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is only the Pilot Road (single compound), and the Pilot Road 2CT, which is the next generation 2 compound tyre...the sides of the road 2ct, are as soft as the middle of a Pilot Power 2ct, the much grippier track day orientated Michelin, which has now been superseded by the Pilot Pure....not quite as grippy as the Power 2CT, and the Pilot one....Michelin's new track day weapon!

Weird thing is, Michelin is still making the Power 2CT, alongside the Power One, and Pilot pure...

But a good indication of how good the Road 2CT's are, is that Michelin has left them alone...

Get the Road 2CT's...unless you are doing pure sports riding all the time...i dont reckon you need anything better! The Road 2CT's are lots of things in one tyre, much like the FZ6 is to bikes!

:thumbup:

does the 2ct do okay when it is cooler out? thanks for the info that really helps.

These were the 2 tires I was talking about, the pilot road 2:

Michelin Motorcycle Tires

and the pilot power 2ct:

Michelin Motorcycle Tires

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was up in the Pacific NW during my 4600 mile road trip, the entire area were all out of the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's, my prefered choice as this is what I have had as my last two sets.

EVERYONE (shops) were pushing for me to get the Pilot Road II's. But I wanted more or maximum grip for the corners, so I settled for the Pures. Apparently, they cover 14% vs 11% of the surface compared to the traditional 2CT's.

Handled great on the wet highways of Montana around the mountains at 80mph. Plenty of grip going around the dry twisties down in Southern California. I have 4500 miles on these tires in just three weeks.

Paid: $105.77 Front
$135.96 Rear

Plus tax & labor for removal and install.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got BT020's on mine and they are great for a sport/touring tire. Smooth, grippy, good wet grip, durable, nice tread pattern. Better than the BT016 IMO. Then again, I have nothing else to compare too...

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well i've been riding on the Metzeler Z6 Interact's for several months now and after clocking 10000+ K's on the rear & nearly 5000 on the front today is the 1st time ive had to put air in them :eek: only down 1psi on the front & down 3psi on the rear but im a fussy bugger :D... That to me speaks truckloads about the build quality of these tyres , I have never had a tyre hold pressures so well :thumbup: And performance is A+ to match , Im sold on Metzeler tyres for life :rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well i've been riding on the Metzeler Z6 Interact's for several months now and after clocking 10000+ K's on the rear & nearly 5000 on the front today is the 1st time ive had to put air in them :eek: only down 1psi on the front & down 3psi on the rear but im a fussy bugger :D... That to me speaks truckloads about the build quality of these tyres , I have never had a tyre hold pressures so well :thumbup: And performance is A+ to match , Im sold on Metzeler tyres for life :rockon:

Sold on Metzelers for life!...big call Humpy! :D