Which is the best Sport - Touring Tyre right now?

Which Tyre is the best Sports/Touring Tyre for an FZ6?

• Pirelli Angel ST

Votes: 34 10.4%
  • Pirelli Diaclo Rosso

Votes: 8 2.5%
  • Michelin Pilot Road 2CT

Votes: 106 32.5%
  • Bridgestone BT-023

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • Bridgestone BT-016

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • Bridgestone BT-021

Votes: 21 6.4%
  • Conti Road Attack 2

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Avon Storm 2 Ultra

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Metzeler Roadtec Interact Z8

Votes: 9 2.8%
  • Metzeler Roadtec Z6

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Dunlop Sportsmax Roadsmart

Votes: 34 10.4%
  • Shinko Raven

Votes: 6 1.8%
  • Michelin Pilot road 3

Votes: 45 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
just made the call and ordered new Z8's
next week RUBBBBEEERRR:thumbup:

my stockers, Dunlop Sportsmax are dated 3109 and I have about 11000 ks on them
I have noticed a bit of a slide developing in the past couple of months, I rigorously check tyre pressures so new it wasn't a saggy side wall.
But last night my son came home with a new Pirelli Sport Demon rear tyre and I looked how deep the tread was and how mine are about 1 mm from the indicators.
So with Humpy's and Kazza's recomendation (and Rick from Adelaide doing his research too), then a pretty damn good write up in Australian Road Rider where they were loaded onto an FZ8, I have bitten the bullet and next week, Metzlers here I come

looking forward to the change:D

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Adrian, but it was all Humpy and Kazza - had they not been recommended so highly, I wouldn't have looked into them.

The wet weather performance test really just confirmed it for me.

As soon as I get my tax cheque in, I'll get the Z8s fitted. (already lined up a shop to supply and fit in Adel.)

Reading some of the reviews about improved turn-in due to the ply direction etc, it'll be interesting to get your opinions.

Cheers,
Rick

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
forgive me if repost

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG4VkYGBOv8"]Sports touring tyres wet weather test - YouTube[/ame]

Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hadn't seen that test Norbert, but it's just ANOTHER review/test confirming the Z8 as the cream of the current crop.

Sure, you may not want to be corner carving in the wet, but it just goes to illustrate the extra grip available, should things go pear-shaped.

Any and all available grip overhead vs traction inhibiters (rain etc) is more than welcome.

AND, I've never heard of a Z8 delaminating, like the PR3 apparently can.

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I have literally done 15 kms on the new Z8's, nowhere near enough to give a review but....

the bike feels more together, like the front end and rear are really connected.
even tho they are still waxy they move over tram lines (in the dry) like there is no change in the road surface at all and I went over on the shallowest of angle to give it a try. The old Dunlop Road smarts would be wiggly.
straight line braking feels a bit quicker but I dint really lock it up, its hard to when you don't have the adrenilin kicking in

The other thing I had done at the same time was a set of right angled valves, in black, that look really slick.

So I am going away this w/end (by cage) and will commute next week,get theat pesky wax off and really try the tyres out on the following w/end(fingers crossed)
What do peeps reccomend for the wax, I've heard sandpaper, detergent, even metho(getting out in the twisties has to be the most fun I guess), but anything that will prepare the tyres before I take it for a spirited run is what I'm looking for
anyway thanks for reading

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the mould release agent (waxy finish), just go to Two-Wheel Tyres in Yamanto, and Alex will scrub them for you...

Actually, it's no longer in Yamanto, and it's no longer run by Alex - so, you're sh!t out of luck!

LOL!

Seriously, the best way it just to ride. Don't attack on wet roads, and you'll be ok.

There is a little bit of give, but just take it incrementally and you'll be fine.

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its just bucketed like you wouldnt beleive here in Melbourne.So its gonna be a careful ride in any case.
Yeah I'll be taking it slow for at least a week

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the Z8s for about a month and so far it's all good. The weather in the UK has been pretty much non stop rain but no scary moments to report as yet.

fmf

Reaction score
Visit site
Not even on your list but I just mounted some conti motions, shipped to my door for $170, that I like better than the BT-023's that I had mounted.

So far I think they do almost everything better than the 023's, but I haven't taken them quite into triple digits yet.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
The Conti's are the bargain tire I keep considering. But when it came time to do tires again I went with PR'2. Not worth saving $100 for a tire rated to last thousands of miles less. I took off my last set of PR2 at 13k miles with quite a bit of tread leftover. I could seriously have pushed them toward 16k miles no kidding

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So it's now about 2 weeks and the z8s are waaaay good
Excellent over tram lines, tar snakes, white paint and last Thursday after the radio show I came home through the heaviest rain on the freeway these tires are like sh1t sticking to a blanket I still haven't gone hard on twistiesbut the feel so far is awesome !
I'm loving' 'em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I was planning on trying something differnt other then shinko's on my next set but nails have been kicking my arse, and i have ended up putting fronts and rears on at differnt times so i stayed with the shinkos. I probably shouldnt even say this cause im gonna jynk it but provided i get no more nails the tires that are on my bike now should wear out at about the same time, front has about 3-4k more than my rear, so when and if they do i think im gonna have a go at the Z8's. they are the only tire that i have herd nothing but good things about, even though i truly am in love with the shinko and what they can do for the price all this talk about the Z8's has got me wanting to try a set!