Where do you keep the FZ during the winter?

Where do you keep the FZ during the winter?

• Inside the house

Votes: 27 3.8%
  • Heated garage/workshop

Votes: 120 17.0%
  • Unheated garage/shed

Votes: 301 42.6%
  • Outside under cover

Votes: 55 7.8%
  • Keep? I ride All year round!

Votes: 203 28.8%

• Total voters

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
I never thought I'd see so many people I don't like (or should I say HATE) in the same thread.

Damn you Californians, Floridans, Texans and Australians!! :spank:

As for the OP: I'm going to leave the bike at my local bike shop for $70/month. They keep the battery alive and winterize the bike, keeping it in a dry but not heated (I think) area.

lmn

Reaction score
Visit site
Please include Brazilians, I´ll be riding to the beaches, ertc.

I sure don´t miss Buffalo, NY (lived from 2002 to 2006 there).

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I never thought I'd see so many people I don't like (or should I say HATE) in the same thread.

Damn you Californians, Floridans, Texans and Australians!! :spank:

As for the OP: I'm going to leave the bike at my local bike shop for $70/month. They keep the battery alive and winterize the bike, keeping it in a dry but not heated (I think) area.

GULP, $70 a month for motorcycle storage? OMG! Does that come with benefits or something? For that price, you could move out to CA and start all over.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine lives in unheated garage all year. I do try to ride all year though. Cold's OK, but I don't go out in snow.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
So, does a car port count as outdoors uncovered?
DSCN1193.jpg

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
GULP, $70 a month for motorcycle storage? OMG! Does that come with benefits or something? For that price, you could move out to CA and start all over.

That's the cheapest I could find in my area :(

As for Cali: I did an internship (i.e. my senior project) at San Jose and lived in Mountain View for a couple of months last winter (from January to March).

BEST. MONTHS. EVER.

Too bad at this time even big companies like the one I worked for didn't have any starting positions for fresh-out-of-college-kids :( Only openings they had was for 8+ years of experience, Ph.D people ...

I'm gonna try get a job there next summer and if it doesn't work for a second time in a row I'm heading back to Europe (read somewhere warm in Europe).

Screw this waste-of-life-winter-crap ...

lmn: did you study at State University of NY?

My dad spent 3 weeks in Santos, Brazil on a work assignment. He's a huge soccer fan and he was thrilled to go visit the Pele museum there. He sent me a few pics and I've gotta say that I'm looking forward to the day I take off on a round the globe/South America trip on my bike :) Beautiful place indeed!

View attachment 22950

View attachment 22951

View attachment 22952

View attachment 22953

Sorry for the thread hi-jack people ... please proceed with the winter storing pics :) I've gotta say I'm quite impressed and jealous at the same time by all of you who have created some really nice bike sheds! Good stuff ... not as good as living somewhere warm but still decent :D

Last edited:

lmn

Reaction score
Visit site
lmn: did you study at State University of NY?

My dad spent 3 weeks in Santos, Brazil on a work assignment. He's a huge soccer fan and he was thrilled to go visit the Pele museum there. He sent me a few pics and I've gotta say that I'm looking forward to the day I take off on a round the globe/South America trip on my bike :) Beautiful place indeed!

OT: Yes, Ph.D. Geography. Actually I miss the cold sometimes, snow driving (can´t imagine on a bike though), frozen Niagara Falls, university atmosphere.

I´m less than 2 hours from Santos, I´ll ride there sometime.

There are many V-Stroms and BMW around here going to around South America, Argentina, Chile, Peru, and Bolivia mostly.

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
In the garage, doors closed, properly winterized. It's seen 3 winters with no problems. I do start ups once a month and get things to temp to get any condensation dried out and to keep the battery topped.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
that makes my heart ache

Doesn't exactly jazz me up, either, LOL.

That year (last winter) we ended up with over 2 feet of snow on that car port roof.... it very nearly colapsed due to the weight when it all started melting and snowed again. This year, I have a couple of stout posts that I will brace the roof with, if it gets dicey..... Don't want to stick them in now, as it makes the space harder to navigate.

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
Integrated garage. Not exactly heated but will stay above freezing all winter. However, I will keep riding until they start laying salt or cinders.

OhHellYeah

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in the city on a ground floor apartment with no garage. I can't stand the idea of leaving her out in the cold, or in a friend's underground parking where I won't be able to keep eye contact on a regular basis. My solution this year---as it has just snowed for the first time today---is right inside my front door.

what better sight when I get home from work! I wonder if my girlfriend would disagree? ;)

M

mnormand

If my wife would let me, I'd bring it indoors for sure, along with my strip built kayak, WR250R, and other toys.

Good thread here, lots of good realistic options.

macy

Reaction score
Visit site
As soon as the salt spreaders start, its off the road.
Stays in the garage/workshop well away from the "tin worms". Then about Easter it's YIPEEEEEEEEEEE Kill fly time again.

x47b3207

Dave.
Reaction score
Visit site
Cold is not a big issue for me, but the salt is. Today was somewhat of a sad day.:(

The salt trucks were actually out a couple of weeks ago here due to some icy roads, but the forecast looked too nice to put her away. I did have to wipe her down after every ride as it has not rained hard enough to get all the salt off the road.

Today was beautiful outside. However, the next 10 days look to be mostly in the 30's with rain and some flurries. So today, she got washed, waxed, prep'ed for winter, and moved into her corner by the charger (and covered).

• wash - 1 hr
  • last ride - 1 hr
  • cleanup & wax - 2 hrs
  • oil - $30
  • filter - $10
  • gasket - $0.88
  • gas - $9.50
  • knowing she is safe & comfy - priceless

My hat (or helmet) off to those north of the mason/dixon line who continue to ride through winter.