Where can I display my TAX disc

andysadd

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my Fazer from Yamaha dealer just 3 weeks ago, The TAX disc holder is located under the seat, The dealer said as long as the Disc is on the bike it is legal and by keeping it under the seat it stop them getting swiped!

A policeman stopped me today(no i wasnt going to fast it was one of those roadside census things) and asked me where my disc was I was nice and polite as you should be showed him the disc under the seat and he informed me this was illegal and that i must have it clearly displayed.

He wanted to ticket me but luckily this copper was an ex serviceman and i managed to steer the conversation on to life in the army so he let me go.

where do you all display yours?

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my Fazer from Yamaha dealer just 3 weeks ago, The TAX disc holder is located under the seat, The dealer said as long as the Disc is on the bike it is legal and by keeping it under the seat it stop them getting swiped!

A policeman stopped me today(no i wasnt going to fast it was one of those roadside census things) and asked me where my disc was I was nice and polite as you should be showed him the disc under the seat and he informed me this was illegal and that i must have it clearly displayed.

He wanted to ticket me but luckily this copper was an ex serviceman and i managed to steer the conversation on to life in the army so he let me go.

where do you all display yours?

I dont, its in my wallet and wont be going on my bike anytime soon. 4 years on bikes now and i've never been asked to show licence or tax when pulled over.

but if i were to put it on the bike it would go on the reverse of the licence plate or on the fairing so that you can rotate it up inside the front fairing unit and rotate it down if asked.

Last edited:

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
From gov web site

"Display your tax disc
Display a tax disc on the passenger side (kerb side) of the vehicle’s windscreen. If there’s no windscreen or you have a motorcycle or sidecar, display the tax disc on the kerb side of the vehicle.
The tax disc can't be transferred between vehicles."

From today's Daily Express "Cars with no valid tax disc on display can be slapped with an automatic £80 penalty by police officers carrying out roadside patrols."

Get yourself a tax disc holder with cap head bolts all round it, I bolt mine to the chain guard fixing.

Sounds like place you got bike from was saving a quid on a cheap holder by telling porkies.

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
Get yourself a tax disc holder with cap head bolts all round it, I bolt mine to the chain guard fixing.

+ 1

simonwb-albums-simonwb-s-fazer-picture3290-fazer-heel-inserts-place.jpg

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the law is that it has to be on display. Mine's just by the rear pillion footrest.

3640940191_748bc1cfa2_o.jpg

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
forgive us on this side of the pond. but what is your "tax disc" is it like an inspection # or????

It is a tax for using the roads, paid either every 12months or 6months (12month works out cheaper).

It is supposed to pay for the wear on roads, and tells the authorities that on the day the tax disc issued that the vehicle had insurance, and MOT (MOT is a yearly safety check of the vehicle, starts when vehicle 3 years old).

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's mine just by the rear footpeg. It's a colour photocopy with the original in my wallet.

It's a joke really as the police can just press a few buttons and tell if you have tax or not. ANPR is even easier.

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine got stolen about 5 months ago, and I haven't gotten around to replacing it. I don't see why I should be put out of my way to replace it.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also have the Oxford holder with the 6 Allen screws, mine is attached to the front mudguard screw on the left fork leg.

I just renewed it and will also be installing the colour photocopy, laminated, with the original stuck to the fridge door with a magnet.

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
It is a tax for using the roads, paid either every 12months or 6months (12month works out cheaper).

It is supposed to pay for the wear on roads, and tells the authorities that on the day the tax disc issued that the vehicle had insurance, and MOT (MOT is a yearly safety check of the vehicle, starts when vehicle 3 years old).

That is just stupid. As if your fuel tax dollars are not enough.

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
That is just stupid. As if your fuel tax dollars are not enough.

Here in Britain its never enough.
In London we now have micro-cars driving around with cameras on the roof so if you stop your car or bike to buy a newspaper or something you get an instant fine!
Heres where my tax disc is kept (its so wet you cant read it anyway!).

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
What?!! Who runs these little bl**ders then? Local Authority or private contractor?

Local authorities (to raise revenue),youve got to see it to believe it .
I own a snack bar and these poor cabbies are nervous wrecks buying a cup of tea.
Of course the council want their rates,but they dont want to let anyone stop to buy anything in my shop,MADNESS!!

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Local authorities (to raise revenue),youve got to see it to believe it .
I own a snack bar and these poor cabbies are nervous wrecks buying a cup of tea.
Of course the council want their rates,but they dont want to let anyone stop to buy anything in my shop,MADNESS!!

You'll have to let me know what snack bar you've got in case I'm passing that way.

Twigs

Bad Girl
Reaction score
Visit site
My tax disc got nicked too, twice! I reported it and got a crime number, just to be on the safe side. Now I don't display it. I know it's frowned upon but my other half is a police officer and I know that if I was stopped, I'd be checked out by computer and I wouldn't be asked for my tax disc. After the faff it took to get 2 new discs, it's the chance I'm willing to take.

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Stuff them, Twigs, I don't see why I should have to pay to replace it when someone has stole it. I know it's only £7 but it's the principal. At the end of the day, ANPR tells the Constables whether it is insured or not so it's kind of obselete in my eyes.