When do you switch gears

kayodethomas

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought an 05 fz6, and i was just wondering at what speed range do you normally change gears, for example.
1 to 2= 20-25 mph
2 to 3 =?
3 to 4 =?
4 to 5 =?
5 to 6 =?

You should be changing gears by the RPMs, not the speed. In general around town at low speeds you can shift at 5,000 rpms, on the highway you may want to increase that to 7-8,000 rpms.

It all depends on the situation:
1. If you are climbing a hill you may want to rev the engine higher before shifting
2. If you are merging into traffic on a freeway you may want to accelerate with the quickness to avoid being roadkill
3. If you are in a neighborhood with 25mph speed limits...you can put along at 4,000 rpms in each gear.

Not trying to be an arse...but when i feel like it :spank: Like previously said, it's all situational/preference... unless your on av track it really doesn't matter that much..just get out there and ride :thumbup:

You should be changing gears by the RPMs, not the speed. In general around town at low speeds you can shift at 5,000 rpms, on the highway you may want to increase that to 7-8,000 rpms.

It all depends on the situation:
1. If you are climbing a hill you may want to rev the engine higher before shifting
2. If you are merging into traffic on a freeway you may want to accelerate with the quickness to avoid being roadkill
3. If you are in a neighborhood with 25mph speed limits...you can put along at 4,000 rpms in each gear.

Well said! :thumbup:

Just remember when downshifting if you're unsure it's better to be in too high of a gear as opposed to too low of a gear.

Back