What's with all the all-digital instruments?

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems like almost every manufacturer is moving over to strictly digital instruments. I'm wondering if it's because they're cheaper and easier to install than those with an analog tach? The digital tachs are difficult to read at a glance (especially in sunlight), and I find myself using them more frequently than I do on a car because they help me keep track of what gear I'm in.

It seems that the only way to keep an analog tach is to go with a supersport. Anyone else have a similar gripe? Do manufacturers think the public likes all digital readouts or are they just being cheap?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From the engineering side; a digital display isnt limited by the vehicle its used on. You swap the firmware and walla, it works on any engine "RPM" for example.

Having this wide range of applications could help reduce manufacturing costs.
But ya, to your point, its just not as appealing or functional in all applications.

Its one of the main reasons i held out for an S2!

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
So here's the FZ-07:
309-albums16-picture342.jpg

And the FZ-09:
TR1_2388.jpg

And the FJ-09:
121714-2015-Yamaha-FJ-09-Detail-47330.jpg

Looks like they're not trying to save much here. The FZ6 and FZ1 used very similar gauge clusters with analog tachs. Maybe they think they're exuding an ultra-modern flair? My parents' 1987 Ford Aerostar had a digital gauge too. I thought that was pretty sweet, but I was also 7 years old and it reminded me of Knight Rider.

Let me say I really like the readout for all the other information, just not the RPM!

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Frankly all digital and all analogue suck. Tach with a sweep hand and dial, speedo digital for me. I went up one on my CS sprocket and now my speedo is 100% correct, MPH at least. I have a radar detector wired to my helmet and I go everywhere at least 5 over the speed limit. I know exactly how fast I'm going with just a glance and my analogue tach is readable too, and old fashion cool. BMW's analogue speedo is so crowded, along with other bikes, it's just a guess. An other plus for our bikes!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm happy with either analogue or digital, the gear indicator is also a great addition which reduces the importance of the tach. I also prefer listening to the engine to change gear rather than looking at the tach.

Nelly

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
Have to say I prefer analogue as you can get a rough idea from a glance. The revs is not so bad (S1), you get used to it in a "bit low, bit high" kind of way, but digital speed readout is hopeless, you have to actually read it every time, rather than a quick glance to confirm where the needle is.

I'm guessing the reason for a digital speedo is that analogue odometers are no longer legal in most places. If you are having to take a digital reading anyway then it is doubling up to run an actual speedo cable to an actual speedo, so you are now adding a mechanical device to translate an electrical pulse back to a physical movement - unnecessary cost, unnecessary chance of it going wrong, so they'll try to avoid it. Screens are cheap as chips, and solid state electronics are incredibly durable, mechanical devices much less so.

Last edited:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Most speedometers in cars these days are not mechanical anymore anyway, even though they are analog. They work with a stepper motor based off the speed the ECU says the bike is moving just like an analog tach.

There are costs associated with a lot of things, but this seems like a terrible place to cut corners. The FJ09 is over $10k, yet they still think people prefer a digital readout for the tach? I feel like there's a little more soul in the bike when it comes to the use of analog instruments.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No matter how you slice it, once the embedded chips and software are designed, its now a cookie cutter to port them to another vehicle and with different limits (RPM, SPEED, Temperature, etc.). The esthetics of the layout are simply cosmetic to the details imprinted in the LCD pane making it model specific.

Its still cheaper than driving a needle as even the systems power can run digital levels. Its a fad and feedback may roll it back but its gonna take time I'd guess.

Soon enough they'll come with user settings to change the background color like the modern cage does. Anyone Notice Indy and Nascar gauge clusters? i.e. below temp the background may glow Yellow, when normal = green, and when too hot (over temp) the back ground Glows Bright red to grab drivers attention. Same with the other gauges.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Some of the more high end gauge clusters like the new R1 or Ducati 1199 Panigale have full color LCDs which could be customized in any number of ways (including a picture of an analog tach!) Colors for RPM, temperature, fuel, etc. can be useful as you mentioned. However, the LCDs on "regular" bikes are just fancier versions of my G-Shock wrist watch!

I wonder how much they save on every bike by not installing an analog tach. The entry level Ninja 300, R3, and CBR250R still have analog tachs!

Hopefully you're right that this is a fad that will pass.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
So here's the FZ-07:
309-albums16-picture342.jpg

And the FZ-09:
TR1_2388.jpg

And the FJ-09:
121714-2015-Yamaha-FJ-09-Detail-47330.jpg

Looks like they're not trying to save much here. The FZ6 and FZ1 used very similar gauge clusters with analog tachs. Maybe they think they're exuding an ultra-modern flair? My parents' 1987 Ford Aerostar had a digital gauge too. I thought that was pretty sweet, but I was also 7 years old and it reminded me of Knight Rider.

Let me say I really like the readout for all the other information, just not the RPM!

That's the only complaint on my fz09 is the small digital tach. It's dumb.you have them mislabled. The fz09 has the tach up top. I do slightly prefer the 07 setup though.

I wasn't calling you dumb. Stupid phone.

Last edited: