went for a free harley test ride today.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
well, a week or so ago i got something in the mail advertising a free ipod with a free test ride of a harley. today we had good enough weather for me to take advantage of that.

i was really looking forward to riding a v-rod but i was a little worried about the forward controls. i looked at it and thought - "i can do that". the guy brought it out and left me with the bike. i got on and i couldn't reach. i could reach, but not well enough to take it out on the road. so i had to drive it around to the back and give it back.

so what did i pick? i went with the nightster. i've never ridden a non-faired bike and the nightster was the only one they had - besides the v-rod. plus i figure many beginners lean toward the sportster and i might be able to help them out a bit by taking a ride and being able to give them first hand experience later.

let me tell you - it's no fz6. it was nice to finally sit on a bike that i could flatfoot. it's amazing how that brings such a comfort level to stops. before i just start rambling i'll start making a list.

not so good...
- the seat - did they store a friggin' brick under that cover? it cupped the hiney quite nicely, but it was so stinkin' hard.

- shocks - i hit the first bump and thought i was going to need back surgery. i don't know how they had them set, but there was no give (by no i mean no... not just a little exaggeration... no give). i've never ridden a hard tail... but i think i came as close as i'll ever come today.

- the shakes - when i came to my first stop i thought that the clutch wasn't going in all the way because it was shaking like it was about to stall. i then realized that's just the way it is. i can't imagine riding one of these before they rubber mounted the engines.

- the shakes/vibrations - overall, it wasn't a very smooth ride. it had it's moments, but it was a pretty vibrating ride. some of this got better as i learned the bike a little more. such as, between 45 & 50 in 3rd gear was very smooth. the foot pegs still vibrated a decent amount but it was a pretty nice ride. and 4th gear about 60 (give or take 5mph) was the same. i had to be going pretty fast for 5 gear to be anything other than a shaker.
i think if i had it for longer (went for about 1.5 - 2 hours - back roads and interstate) i would get more used to it and probably get it pretty smooth (as smooth as a sportster could be).

- lack of a tach - both of my bikes have had tachs on them. it was a little difficult to get used to a new bike with no tach.

- engine heat - it wasn't even a warm day today... but after about an hour of riding i had to be very carful where i put my right leg. a few times it hit the head and/or the air cleaner and i could tell that the engine was quite warm.

the goods...
- solid as a rock - although this fits the seat i'm mainly talking about the fit and finish of the bike. it was almost a dichotomy between the shakiness and how well everything was put together. even down to the clutch and brake levers... they just felt really well made. better made and more solid than what i have on my fz6.

- the tranny - it shifted really well. my fz6 can be a little "clunky" shifting between gears. this was so smooth. i wish my fz6 tranny had this feeling to it.

- torque - wow. it was so easy to get off the line and up to speed. i can see the appeal. really made me wonder how fun the larger harley's must be. there was one time on one of the back roads that i goosed the throttle and i felt like i was about to come off the bike.

- seating position - for me this was a great seating position. i was comfortable (except for my rear) from the time i sat down until the time i got off. very natural feeling. more natural than the fz6.

- fun on the back roads - even with the bads, it was really fun on the back roads. i don't know how to explain it other than an experience... but the "cruising experience" on that was something i've yet to have on any other bike. maybe it had to do with the fact that it was the first bike i've ever ridden with no fairing. i don't know how to fully describe it.

- turn signals - i had heard that harley's had the signals on the two sides and i was wondering how hard that would be to get used to. it felt very natural. i would say more natural in that one test ride than three years of riding with "standard" turn signal setups.

- weight - i have heard that sportsters were top heavy. to be honest, this bike felt very well balanced and light. it didn't feel top heavy at all.

i'm sure there are more likes and dislikes but that's what i got off the top of my head. the jury is still out on how i feel about it. at first i really wondered how harley would even put such a bike on the market. so many people start off on the sportster. if that would have been my first bike i would not look to upgrade to a larger harley. but as i road it i thought - "i could have one of these". i wouldn't want it for my main bike but it could be a fun around town bike. i'd need a new seat and to do something about those shocks... but overall it wasn't too bad by the time i got used to it and what gear i needed to be in for the mph.

anyway, i'm glad i road it. i'd like to ride a larger harley now for comparisons sake. i won't write harley's off... but i have no desire to give up my fz6 after that test ride.

still mad i couldn't ride the v-rod. make one with some dang mid controls for the shorter fellas out there.

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
so did you get the Ipod :thumbup: I wouldn't mind having a nightster I have a few friends that own them.

Last edited:

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Nightsters are pretty cool bikes. I was looking into trading my Sabre for one a while back, but decided against it. As for a vrod with mid controls they do make them, or at least they used to. The street rod: ;)

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
must not have sold well because they don't make them anymore. both good and bad on the street rod... it has a larger tank. but because the tank is under the seat it has a higher seat. it's about 30-31 inches. but if they would have had one, i would have dealt with it. i've had to on the two bikes i've owned.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice writeup! I've never ridden an HD, but I'd like to some time. I could see myself on one. I do recall some reviews stating that bad rear suspension is just the nature of cruisers - the seat is too low to have enough room for a shock to do much good.

Interesting that you say the seating position is more comfortable than FZ6. Being a "standard," that the FZ6 is supposed to have the most "natural" riding position. Obviously that is up to the individual, though.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The engine is built/designed by Porsche.

No. Porsche was the lead consultant for the development of the then new motor. The piston, cylinder and head arrangement is based on a 2000 vintage Carrera. The motor and the bike is built in Kansas City.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Buy a metric cruiser... get the same riding experience... spend the money you saved from not getting the harley experience and buy a second bike.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Having rode many different HD motorcycles, you observations are pretty much exactly like mine. The lower end HD bikes (883 sportster) are neat, but are very under powered for the price, I think they have under 50hp. The 1200 models are better, but still are not powerful enough for faster paced riding. The 1200(~60hp) I rode was great up to about 70 MPH, then it felt out of it's element. Erik Buell does a much better job of getting power out of the old Evolution motors. A Buell XB9(92hp) will spank a 1200 Sportster.

The Wide Glide I rode had a much better engine (96 cu in Twin Cam) and the excellent six speed "cruise drive" tranny. The only thing I did not like was the brakes. Very high effort and a very wooden feel.

The Street Glide was my "favorite". Good wind protection, better suspension, excellent seat and perfectly at home on the Interstate. This is a bike you chase sunsets with, preferably somewhere out West. I was shocked to hear the dealer tell me it was listed at $18K though. I thought it would be around $15k, and for that price, I would seriously consider it.

The V-rod. What can I say? I loved the motor, and pretty much hated everything else. The seating position felt like some form of torture. I was very sore after only 15 miles. The suspension felt 10 years behind my 20 year old UJB, the brakes were powerful but had no feed back, the steering was very distant and vague. I knew the road was there, but it felt like it was being filtered through a vat of rubber cement. I wish they would put the V-rod motor in the Sportster chassis and add some Buell brakes. Then you would have a somewhat sporting bike.

Which leads me to Buell. Having test rode a XB12XT, I though it was perfect. Plenty of power, excellent suspension, great seating position (seat was some what hard) and amazing brakes. With luggage included in the $13k price, it is a steal in the sport touring segment.

skyjake

Reaction score
Visit site
Great write up on the HD's. I too have never ridden one. The only thing close is riding/owning a Honda VTX 1300C, my 2nd bike. IMO, the only thing similiar thing between a cruiser and a fazer is they both have 2 wheels. They are totally 2 different machines.

I agree with a former post on this thread, buy a metric bike if your in the market for a cruiser. I think you get a whole lot of more bike for the money and I think will last much longer than a HD and have a lower operating cost.

Pryor

Reaction score
Visit site
Great write up on the HD's. I too have never ridden one. The only thing close is riding/owning a Honda VTX 1300C, my 2nd bike. IMO, the only thing similiar thing between a cruiser and a fazer is they both have 2 wheels. They are totally 2 different machines.

I agree with a former post on this thread, buy a metric bike if your in the market for a cruiser. I think you get a whole lot of more bike for the money and I think will last much longer than a HD and have a lower operating cost.

My last bike was an 02 Warrior. Amazing bike and handled like a it lost 200 lbs.
Major problem for me was with my gear on, I turned into a parachute. I got the only available fairing and it didn't help much.
If you like the riding style go for it.
I prefer being part of the bike, not feeling like I'm being driven.
The costs were much lower than any of my friends maintenance bills.
Scott

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the same postcard in the mail from my local Harley shop regarding the free IPOD. I'd want to try the Vrod too, maybe I'll give it a go this weekend. I do like the matte black finish and orange trim of the Nightster. Very cool.