All the right MODS.....but, is it > FZ1??

lexyallen2

BeachBum
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
I really enjoy my FZ6. Here's what I've done:

Racetech fork springs (1kg)
Power Commander 3 with custom map
Air box modification (completely removed nozzle, and as much extra plastic as possible)
Two Bros. Exhaust
Fender eliminator, and I kept the license plate light on (just a little
engineering incorporated)
Integrated Tail light blinkers
License plate blinkers
License plate helmet locks
Bar end mirrors (amazing views from behind-you can see it all) with block
off plates
Stebel Air Horn
Handle Bar risers
Bottle holder on handle bar
Removed FZ6 stickers and painted plastic under seat flat black

I have turned this bike into the ultimate cruiser/sport machine. I can haul ass or cruise. It sounds insane with the airbox mod and two bros....real throaty.

I've considered the headlight mod, but, I do too much commuting to go totally naked. I've also considered gearing down for more torque, but, I can hardly keep the front wheel down as it is when I gun it.

I use to ride a Yamaha Warrior (1700cc), and I was concerned this 600 would be too small.... NOT EVEN. This bike is way fast enough for me.

An Fz1 owner and I had a conversation, and he said he likes his bike because of the extra speed and better suspension. His wife owns an unmodified Fz6, so he is able to compare the two in detail. He said he can get to 80mph in first gear. Well, I can get to 64 mph in first, and I don't like going much faster than 100mph. I do like getting to 100 as fast as possible, and as I'm set up now, its fast enough. Plus, I'm 240lbs, and it still moves me quickly. However, when my wife hops on the back, I can feel the engine working much harder (not that she's a lardass, she's only 114lbs), and it does loose some acceleration, but, its still quick enough. Plus, she hates speeding and abrupt moves, so, we just cruise when we're together.

I guess the reason for the long post is that my conversation with the Fz1 guy had me second guessing my choice.... but, overall, I'm still thinking the Fz6 is more for me. One main reason is my wife doesn't ride her own bike, and she's frequently on the back of mine. The FZ6 is hands down more comfortable for the passenger....But, if I were single??? Would I have chosen the FZ1? Its $2300 more, 50 more horses, better suspension, and the bragging rights of having a liter bike.....Although I don't speed over 100mph, I think it would've been nice to have that extra quickness....even though I can't imagine accelerating more quickly than I do now....I guess I'll just have to find and FZ1 and ride it for myself...but, for now, I'm totally happy with my bike. It performs way beyond my expectations and needs. Overall: its a great bargain, fun to modify, comfortable for passengers, super quick, and actually fits larger guys well. I'll keep this bike for a while. But, honestly, if I were single and had the money, I would've gone with an FZ1. Just like my V8 4wheel drive GMC Truck- more than I need, but it comes in handy every once in a while.

So, what do you all think? (I know there have been other posts about this debate..... but, here's another:) :Flash:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice looking bike, You don't ride like that do you?

Anyway, very impressive list of mods. glad you showed us!

lexyallen2

BeachBum
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
I very rarely ride with my slaps on!! Those were just for the picture at the house:D.

I agree with Biker Bill about being a better biker to get the full utility out of a better bike; however, jacking the throttle back for quicker acceleration is something I've pretty much gotten good at, and that is one of the main reasons I'd want a bigger engine....more torque and faster acceleration... but, as far as really getting the most out of a liter bike, like on a track or something... I'm miles away! I'm thinking about taking one of those advanced rider courses or something and one day actually trailering my bike to the track.... we'll see.

But, over all, I'm a safe rider, especially in traffic, and usually I don't try any fast moves unless there's no one else in site (especially cops). One of my favorite things is just to gun it at highway on-ramps when no cars are in site.... I love that acceleration.... it reminds me of surfing double overhead freight trains when I lived in Samoa.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I very rarely ride with my slaps on!! Those were just for the picture at the house:D.

I agree with Biker Bill about being a better biker to get the full utility out of a better bike; however, jacking the throttle back for quicker acceleration is something I've pretty much gotten good at, and that is one of the main reasons I'd want a bigger engine....more torque and faster acceleration... but, as far as really getting the most out of a liter bike, like on a track or something... I'm miles away! I'm thinking about taking one of those advanced rider courses or something and one day actually trailering my bike to the track.... we'll see.

But, over all, I'm a safe rider, especially in traffic, and usually I don't try any fast moves unless there's no one else in site (especially cops). One of my favorite things is just to gun it at highway on-ramps when no cars are in site.... I love that acceleration.... it reminds me of surfing double overhead freight trains when I lived in Samoa.

If all you want is a bt more accelleration and more torque, then just change out the sprockets, it will make a huge difference...

lexyallen2

BeachBum
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
But if I change out the sprockets and gun it, won't that make it harder to keep the front wheel down?? It already feels light and has a tendency to lift up every time I full throttle it.....

My old bike never had that problem... ofcourse it was much heavier..... I can't stand my front wheel coming up when I'm accelerating that quickly....freaks me out.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But if I change out the sprockets and gun it, won't that make it harder to keep the front wheel down?? It already feels light and has a tendency to lift up every time I full throttle it.....

My old bike never had that problem... of course it was much heavier..... I can't stand my front wheel coming up when I'm accelerating that quickly....freaks me out.

sounds like what you have is an opportunity to learn some more throttle control. If the front wheel is already coming up, that means that you are telling the bike to accelerate too fast, what you need is to find the point that is just before the wheel lifts up and practice launching at that point because that is the fastest that you can accelerate without lifting the front. if you are looking for more roll on accelleration (acceleration while already moving) then you can do the sprockets.

A liter bike will only make it easier for you to lift the front as well as it is more the weight placement of the bike rather than the power of the engine.

If you want to lose some cornering ability as well then you could get an extended swingarm.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You might call your insurance agent and ask how much more $$$ it would be to insure the FZ-1.
;)

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
my bro has a fz1, it has a full yoshi exhaust on it. It is much heavier and the front wheel can lift up on you when you are doing 80+ easy. The fz6 to me is a more all around bike than the fz6 due to the lightness mainly.

mfox23

Reaction score
Visit site
wow. i didn't know florida didn't require insurance like that.

yeah i definitely agree, i'm content with my 07 fz6 and my 67 camaro :)

:thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow. i didn't know florida didn't require insurance like that.

yeah i definitely agree, i'm content with my 07 fz6 and my 67 camaro :)

:thumbup:

I tell you what.... I will trade you my FZ for your 67 Camaro... NH has the same type of insurance law except that NH doesn't require a helmet at all, just some sort of eye protection.