What would you change on the FZ6?

Whitey Dodge

Reaction score
sport-touring.org
noted. though i feel those who designed such a device, and those of us who use it properly would disagree. my thumb doesnt reach up to the high beam rocker switch without adjusting my grip or as safely as it would if it were a flash switch. the technique is two or three bursts of high beam, not just an on-off of the high (two or three times)

+1 I have this on my Ducati and it is very convenient.

Stuff the FZ1 engine in the FZ6 frame, add adjustable suspension, and call it a day. I like the FZ1, but It holds less gas than the FZ6.

Last edited:

Fixzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I thought maybe there was something wrong with my trans or gears, but I guess the clunk is what it does. Often I have aproblem with it getting stuck in second and won't go into first or neutral.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought maybe there was something wrong with my trans or gears, but I guess the clunk is what it does. Often I have aproblem with it getting stuck in second and won't go into first or neutral.

I put some really decent Valtermoto Rearsets on my FZ6...gear box went smooth instantly...it seems that the rather agricultural rubber mounted OEM footrests, and gear shift lever are not very precise in the gear selection area.

Once i put the solid mounted, very precisely machined...read deft movement, Valtermoto rearsets, not only give me better, grip at the pegs, as well as more feedback in Sport mode, also go a long way to tightening up the gearshift on an FZ6..

:thumbup:

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the trouble downshifting too! What I found is you just gotta downshift earlier (at a higher rolling speed) so the trans is turning... I hit 1st around 10-11, and it's gravy. That being said, DUAL HEADLIGHTS THAT ARE DUAL!!! I've ridden my '08 for 4 hours straight on the interstate and didn't find the seat too bad. Rearset METAL footpegs, wider friction zone on the clutch, factory f/e so we don't gotta remove that big hunka plastic, shiney metal exhaust without plastic shroud, a little higher compression, and GET RID OF THE CAT CONV!!!!

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
i wish mine had a couple things and in no particular importance:

1. wings that protrude from under the engine so i can fly away
2. button that releases an oil slick for those friendly cops
3. ejection seat with parachute for smooth landing
4. automatic machine guns mounted behind headlights
5. hovercraft tires for those joyrides across the ocean to see my forum friends in europe :)

these are only a few of my many mods/ideas that i for see in the near future for my fz6 :thumbup:

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
yea,

for my preference i like it 2 have full fairing stock, gear indicator, reverse fork for front and make it adjustable too, steering damnper

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
1- dual headlights for high AND low beam
2- a better sound, something like the Leo's. NO buzziness
3- more under seat storage, but keep the under seat exhaust
4- a split seat
5- a gear indicator
6- a speedometer that actually is correct

That's all I can think of for now. And BTW, I have no problem with stalling.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
1. Dual headlights ..... how did they miss that?????
2. Frame sliders ..... essential (!?)
3. Storage in fairing, although used it for bits of wiring, PLENTY space
4. Change lcd colours
5. Heated grips / handlebar protectors
6. Better bearings on steering head / steering damper
7. Voltmeter
8. Powerpoint, but adding that as aftermarket

Also have NO problem stalling, idle set to 900-1000 ... only when i pull off too gentle, and it's my own silly fault.

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my list:
accessory plug
truthfull statement of actual usable fuel capacity
ambient temperature measurement (why do I care about the air intake temp??)
computer that calcualates average speed, mpg and miles left on tank

a big +1 on these

brian-oki

Reaction score
Visit site
Use 2 fingers on the clutch only, I do and have no problems. Plus I listen to music with headphones, So I cant hear the engine. But never have any trouble taking off, unless I'm on a hill, I still dont like hills AT ALL.:rockon:

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not talking about the things we can change, like tires, exhausts, etc; what design changes would you make? I like my FZ-6, but if/when I become Supreme Ruler of the World I will mandate:

1. Change the backlighting of the LCD panel. I don't care for the orange. An interesting side note is that the US military had experimented with red gauges for night aircraft flying, as it reduces night vision the least. What they found, however, is that red light wavelength is also the least easiest to see in the first place, so pilots were cranking the intensity all the way up, completely negating any advantage. The Air Force, and most auto manufacturers who had followed them, eventually changed to other color schemes. GM has yet to wake up...

2. I'd replace the front brake fluid reservoir with a design similar to the rear reservoir. The front, square, black tank has a nice little round window to check brake fluid level, but if the tank is completely full or a third-or-less empty, that little window doesn't show anything. The transluscent round rear brake tank leaves no doubt.

3. I'd change the edges of the front fairing. On the musician's websites that I'm a member on, we often make fun of \"pointy\" guitars favored by heavy metal/thrash type bands, guitars like the Gibson Flying V or anything made by Dean, etc. Well, to me, the front view of the FZ-6 looks like a pointy guitar, and I'd change it if I could...

4. I wish the clutch were a little less sensitive. After four months I still stall the engine out on takeoff a couple times a week, arrrgh! Yet I never stalled the Kawasaki I had for the full weekend of my MSF course once!

5. I wish saddlebags were easier to install. It can be done, and the under-seat mufflers really help, but those curvy pillion handles really make it a bit of a challenge.

6. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is a bit clunky; I can make perfect shifts between the rest of the gears, up and down. The fact that Neutral is between 1st & 2nd is the reason, and since this is my only bike I have no idea if all bikes are that way or not.

Really a nitpick list, actually. What would you change?

I so agree with #4. And - since my husband gives me a hard time about how I stall my bike from time to time - I had to read your post to him.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was fun that someone bumped this thread after I've owned fizzer for over a year and 12,500 miles now; I've changed my mind on a couple of things:
1. The sensitive clutch doesn't bother me anymore; in fact, now that I know how to rev up, put just a tiny bit of pressure on the shifter, then lightly flick the clutch bar and feel her snick into the next gear, I like the sensitivity!
2. I also don't notice the clunk between 1st and 2nd much anymore, and I appreciate that clunk when I'm downshifting from 2nd to 1st: I know by feel that I'm in first and don't have to keep my eye on the dash to see the green Neutral light flash as I pass it.
3. The pointy look has grown on me too.

Guess I'll keep her. Still wish I could change the orange dash backlighting, though. My new Toyota truck has orange/red gauges, too. :(

OKCFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
These are all good ideas, especially the ABS brakes (for US models) I'd also like linked brakes (front to rear) that could be switched off when its not helpful. A smoother shifting transmission in the lowest 2 gears (and gear position indicator) would be very nice. How about a Ohlins steering damper for the US for a 2007 or newer model or a GPR Stabilizer that would fit (and cost a lot less than the Ohlins). Threded holes in the swingarms for spool sliders would be nice and a lower fairing for the later models (just because I don't like riding while doing push-ups on my nuts doesn't mean that I dont like fully-faired bikes).

Slightly lower peg and seat height, heated grips, lower pitched (but not loud) mufflers with heat shields that look like . . . well . . . heat shields as opposed to plastic pipes). A kick starter for when I do something stupid like use the kill switch and neglect to remove my key would have come in handy last week. I know that the current trend is black but I'd prefer silver frame and engine like the older models and have the black as an oprtion. Finally, Id like to try out a fully adjustable suspension and a belt drive (like on a Buell), Oh and a Yellow paint job!

With all this, it sounds like I dont appreciate what I did get, like the underseat exhaust, the upper fairing, the generally upright standard riding position, the center stand, the engine power etc. Not true I love the bike and beleive that its an excellent value for the money.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What I would like to change about the FZ6 is:

All the people that complain its not an R6:spank:.
Tapper bearings in headstock as standard.

Nelly

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
SEAT SEAT SEAT, and the rear grab rails. I absolutely love the FZ1's rear and would love to just chop and paste it on to mine.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
adjustable front forks and a better rear shock.. hopefully we see that before they retire this model.. wouldnt mind growing old with that as a bike :)

Jedi

Pillion Boy no more!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to make a huge list, but then I realised all I'd be doing would be writing down the spec of the R6!

So I'll add my +1 to everyone who wants a comfier seat, and add that stock handguards and heated grips would make the bike pretty damn perfect to ride through a british winter, along with ABS, studded tyres, and dodgem-style bumpers all round.

Oh and some sort of magical car-driver-attention-attracting device so that the blind "children of unmarried parents" can actually see me.