What would you change on the FZ6?

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:Im With Stupid:i also agree about doing something about the abbrupt shifting from 1st to 2nd, and off the line stalling. It is very embarrasing. My spelling is something 2 b sad about too.

R

Raid The Revenge

My only biggest complaint on the '06 speedometer is the refresh rate. It requires too much time to display the current speed. You could fix this problem by getting a helmet HUD...

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
For me and my riding style I would definitely change the following:

1) The clutch (could use more friction zone).
2) A gear indicator (should be easy enough with our digital gauges).

Balberts

FZ6-Toga
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmm.. Yeah, A gear indicator, a "you're about to crash" indicator, and the ability of time travel (at 88 mph, of course)!!

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
i want a cup holder... seriously. for commuting so i don't have to hold my coffee and work the throttle with my ring and pinky finger. good thing my commute is only 5 minutes lol.

but i wish they went a route similar to the sv650 and sv650s

fz6n - euro-style naked, with black rear sets, banana tail with optional split seat tail

fz6s (not s2) - full faired style, clip-ons, adjustable black rearsets, split seat tail

for both, it would've been nice to have 2 cans stock instead of the muffler. also the cans should be spread out like on the R1, so we could have a little more "trunk space", full adjustable front AND rear suspension.

Last edited:

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
I am glad to see others also have 'staling at start' issue. I would definitely like a little wider friction zone. Sometimes I try to get throttle reved up to avoid stalls but it is hard to synchronize -- i end up revving the engine before the clutch engages. Doesnt hurt but does not sound very good especially when you are at a traffic light!!
So my votes are:
1. A little wider friction zone setting and a smoother clutch
2. Definitely the headlights - Both Lo and Both Hi settings. It looks and sounds silly when people point it out and you have to say 'that's the design'!!
3. A little more spece for under seat storage. It is really minimal and does not really hold anything of any size, except for a few rags, ties and registration etc.
Cosmetically it looks great, is comfortable and runs great. I just started riding so dont have any compiants about power, torque etc. It is fast enough on the highway and I try not to race with the speeding cars!

R

Raid The Revenge

Hmmmm.. Yeah, A gear indicator, a "you're about to crash" indicator, and the ability of time travel (at 88 mph, of course)!!

Twin lasers, with four Options, Missile and Forcefield!

Speed is fine.

B

Bo67

My list which is basically the same as others have said:

1. Not a self cancelling turn-signal but maybe an audible alert after 20 seconds. My '85 GS1150E had self cancelling signals and they bugged the hell out of me. I had to to try and time my turns within the 20 seconds and what not. Tough to explain the variances but overall, very annoying and I wound up cancelling them manuslly most of the time.

2. An ambient air temp gauge- I can't change the Intake Air Temp so who cares? just tell me what it is outside. When the bike is cold the gauge is accurate but this summer it was 105 degrees here and the IAT temp was showing 112-116 degrees.

3. Wider mirrors would be nice.

4. A longer, more streamlined front fairing- The bike looks great in profile and 3/4 front view but from the front it looks a little goofy. My kids say it looks like a Power Rangers cycle.

5. Rear turn signals- I ride with saddle bags most of the time which fills in the void there but when the bags are off the signals look plain goofy (and cheap). Maybe a bullet fairing on each would help them look more transitioning, right now the'yr just sticking out there.

6. A top gear indicator. A simple LED would do. I've owned lots of bikes with overdrive transmissions and they all had a final gear indicator light. As I've said in other posts I sometimes look for 7th gear, an indicator light would be nice.

Just my thoughts. Overall a very nice bike. Well mannered, quick and comfortable enough for me.

smitty856

Reaction score
Visit site
how r u guys stalling these bikes?? maybe its your oil. but mine pulls out very smooth. and shifts nicely..although i have an 07. but rode my friends 05 b4 i bought mine and had no complaints then

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how r u guys stalling these bikes?? maybe its your oil. but mine pulls out very smooth. and shifts nicely..although i have an 07. but rode my friends 05 b4 i bought mine and had no complaints then

I also have a 07 but I find that when you let the clutch out it has to be with just the right amount of revs at the right moment and then letting the clutch out gently. I noticed the same problem on the new Fazer I test rode. I hired an older fazer about 4 years ago and didn't have this problem at all ???
I have riden several different bikes and never had this problem.
It can sometimes be a hinderence when you have to get away quickly.

Having said this I still find the FZ6 a great bike, it's just one of the things I would change if I could.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I am glad to see others also have 'staling at start' issue. I would definitely like a little wider friction zone. Sometimes I try to get throttle reved up to avoid stalls but it is hard to synchronize -- i end up revving the engine before the clutch engages. Doesnt hurt but does not sound very good especially when you are at a traffic light!!
So my votes are:
1. A little wider friction zone setting and a smoother clutch
2. Definitely the headlights - Both Lo and Both Hi settings. It looks and sounds silly when people point it out and you have to say 'that's the design'!!
3. A little more spece for under seat storage. It is really minimal and does not really hold anything of any size, except for a few rags, ties and registration etc.
Cosmetically it looks great, is comfortable and runs great. I just started riding so dont have any compiants about power, torque etc. It is fast enough on the highway and I try not to race with the speeding cars!

I'm also very glad to hear other ppl have had stalling problems as well. I was beginning to doubt my riding skills.

I would like:
1. Wider friction zone on the clutch.
2. Gear indicator - I found this very helpful on some of the other bikes I test rode.
3. Powder coated rearsets
4. External temp - as some others have mentioned, I don't care about the intake air temp.

Surely someone makes an after market dash that has some of this stuff???

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 Wish List

1. Compass on the display
2. Metal tie-down hoops to hook bungies on without scratching paint
3. Storage in the faring
4. A place to mount a garage door remote
5. Gear indicator
6. HID Xenon lights dual-low and dual-high

christod1

Just a member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1) Xenon lights
2) Ohlins front folk
3) Gear indicator
4) Better exhaust(2 Bros would be great)
5) Seemless shifting
6) Heated grips
7) Standard abs
8) More storage space

I'd love all these but the bike would probaly cost twice the price

:rockon:

H

HavBlue

Relative to my 2004:

I would increase the angle of attack on the right and left gill ramps to increase frontal down force.

I would change the rear turn signals to red and make them operate as clearance brake lamps.

I would make the pillion pegs removable.

I would make the back light color for the gauge package
changeable.

I would move the battery to an under seat location.

I would put a drain in the radiator.

I would use a slipper clutch.

I would bubble the windshield.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
What I would change.

1. Alter the fairing scoops so that they function as ram air scoops. (There's probably not room for this.

2. A more powerful charging system would be great. I'd like at least 460 watts.

3. The seat. Oh man, it hurts so much. In fact, move this to #1 on the list.

4. Larger capacity battery (where would you put it though?)

5. Tapered roller bearings in the steering head.

6. Aluminum lower tripleclamp. Mine's already got rust on it!

7. Gear indicator and compass on the digital dash.

8. A prop to hold the gas tank in the raised position like the SV-650 has. (Maybe I should make one!)

A few comments on other people's comments:

To those who have asked that the airbox temperature instead display ambient air temp, I think you've missed the point a bit. The airbox temperature is just a neat thing that somebody added to the bike. The bike has to have a temperature sensor in the airbox for the fuel injection system. Given that, it was easy enough to have the computer output the info to the dash. If you want to see ambient temperature on the bike, that would take another temperature sensor and more money spent on the bike which translates to higher cost.

I like the stock exhaust, a lot. And the cheap plastic cover that nobody seems to like weighs and costs less than an aluminum cover. Plus the aluminum cover will transmit heat a lot faster. Your passenger might object.

The fairing's pointy bits do look odd, but they do a great job of protecting your hands from wind.

Fred