• Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Why You Should Use Amsoil Synthetic

This is the best answer ever.
Defy Inertia

I know that you may be considering the use of synthetic oil in your bikes. But you really should Very cautious of synthetic oil! It can do terrible things both to you, and to your bike. Synthetic oil will not only leak out of your engine faster than you can put it in, but it will also cause your oil filter to clog and implode, dumping debris and dirt into your lubrication system. It also will make every part of your bike permanently slippery because of its linear molecular chain dispersion action.

Then it will leak onto your kickstand causing it to retract automatically and without warning, dropping your bike flat on the rocky ground! But that's not all . . . . Synthetic oil will round off your gears and spin your bearings. Synthetic oil will also splatter onto your seat causing your girlfriend to fall off in the apex of a turn and then she will never ride with, or sleep with, you again. Synthetic oil coats your oil sight window with a whitish pro-emulsification additive that is both non-removable and highly corrosive. Synthetic oil will completely leak out onto the ground overnight, force your favorite dog to drink it at gunpoint, and he will then die a slow horrible writhing death.

Synthetic oil will wear out your tires and make your battery leak. It will give you the desperate need to urinate after you put your full leathers on and then jam all your zippers shut. Synthetic oil will contaminate your gasoline causing your bike to stall on railroad tracks and accelerate uncontrollably near police cars. Synthetic oil will make it rain during rallies and on every weekend. It will causing your cam drive to jump teeth and break your valves to bits. Synthetic oil chemically weakens desmodromic valves and causes the clearances to change every sixteen miles. Then it melts the black soles of your riding boots night before you walk across your new carpeting.

While riding past groups of attractive women it will cause both of your handlebar grips to slip off at the same time so you smash your windscreen with the bridge of your nose. It also causes your swingarm to crack, your studs to break, and your rotors to warp. Synthetic oil then voids your warranty by changing your odometer reading to 55,555 overnight. It also dries out your wet clutch and wets your dryclutch. It makes your clutch cable or slave cylinder seal fail in the heaviest traffic on the hottest day of the year while putting an angry wasp in your helmet for good measure.

Synthetic oil hides your 13mm socket and puts superglue on your earplugs. Synthetic oil will scratch your face shield and make your gloves shrink two sizes the night before track day. Synthetic oil will then steal your neutral and sell it for $1.25.

So let's be careful out there

Re: Why You Should Use Amsoil Synthetic

well not a lot you can say about that..im not sure where the truth ends and the embelishment begins. I for one have been cheered up no end by reading that :D

Re: What Is The Best Oil

I always go with the yamaha synthetic that my buddy discounts me on.

I guess I feel that it can't hurt to change it now (right?), so I've more or less decided to do so, using Rotella 15W-40 non-synthetic for this change. The question of the day is, should I also change the filter, or is it OK to leave the original one on until the 600 mile change?

The BEST way to break-in a new motorcycle is to run it ALL over the RPM range for the first 25 miles, then change the oil and filter with only 25 miles on the bike...just vary the speed and don't hold it constant. This fly's against traditional advice when pistons had to seat in the engine when manufacturing was not as highly refined as today.

Read this excellent resource from moto-man.

The Short Answer: Run it Hard!

----

On the Street:

Warm the engine up completely:

Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph. The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. You don't have to go over 65 mph / 104 kph to properly load the rings. Also, make sure that you're not being followed by another bike or car when you decelerate, most drivers won't expect that you'll suddenly slow down, and we don't want anyone to get hit from behind !!

The biggest problem with breaking your engine in on the street (besides police) is if you ride the bike on the freeway (too little throttle = not enough pressure on the rings) or if you get stuck in slow city traffic. For the first 200 miles or so, get out into the country where you can vary the speed more and run it through the gears !

Be Safe On The Street !
Watch your speed ! When you're not used to the handling of a new vehicle, you should accelerate only on the straightaways, then slow down extra early for the turns. Remember that both hard acceleration and hard engine braking (deceleration) are equally important during the break in process.

Last edited:

Mine has Repsol semi 10w40 in it now since it was all i could find at the time when i did the oil change in the fall. However, I found a steady supply of mobil-1 full synthetic 10w40, so thats what its getting in the spring.

changing oil.

How easy is it to change the oil. Before you answer this you must bear (bare??) in mind that I really haven't got a clue about engines etc and am actually quite nervous about doing it, but feel that I should learn it to do it at my leisure in the future. Also what oil should I use? I live in the UK, so please don't recommend oils that are in Walmart etc.

Cheers

Re: changing oil.

Use a 10w30 or 10w40 oil. You can go synthetic if you want, but not necessary. It all depends on what you WANT. click "search" and type in "oil" and you'll fine hundreds of posts about oil.

Changing the oil doesn't take longer than 30 minutes (unless you add beer between steps). Then it takes 1 hour of fun. Download the service manual and you'll see it. FYI look up the aluminum foil trick to keep oil off your headers. Good luck! You can do it!

So do I only need the oil to do it or do I need a special tool, new filter (if so, do I have to get it from a Yamaha dealer) etc.

Cheers

You'll want a filter wrench from an auto parts store, but make sure it's small enough to fit on the moto filter (not car filter size). You change the filter every OTHER time afccording to the manual. unless you switch to synthetic...then change the filter.

If you want, get an aftermarket filter with a bolt on the top (like K&N) because then you don't have to use a wrench and can use a socket to turn it off.

Make sure you drain the oil before taking off the filter. Make sure you put the plug back after emptying it before filling it. LOL, easy but it happens all the time.

edit: I bought a filter wrench so I just spend the $15 on a Yamaha filter because it came on the bike and works fine lol...and i bought the tool already...

If you use the search function you will find more info on oil than is humanely health to know lol.
biker dude has even shared a fantastic how to change oil pictorial. It gives you all you need to know.

Nelly

I use amsoil 10w-40 with K&N filter change it when the book says to, It was changed at 500 and 4000 miles I now have 5300 miles on the bike no problems. I did have my oil tested before I put the bike up for winter test came back no problems with oil still pretty much brand new.

Like the others said before, do the search on "oil", and the pictorial really helps. Just to add one thing - I tried making the aluminum chute trick work and wound up with about a quart or so of oil on my sidewalk. I use a turkey basting pan to drain my oil now! Fits under the bike great and i can drain it right into my oil container.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back