• Something else... please explain

Votes: 8 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CombatPenguin

Re: Oil change on my FZ6 S2 2007

I always have problems removing my old filter. my wrench is just a little to big even though it's the right size for the filter so i get a thin shop towel and put that over the filter then the wrench works great. Synth oil should be fine, I have it in mine and I am at 2200 miles.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Using synthetic is fine... stay away from car oils (for lack of a better term right now) and you will be fine. Just put some oils around the O-ring on the new filter before you put it on. This will make it easy to get off the next time...

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Using synthetic is fine... stay away from car oils (for lack of a better term right now) and you will be fine. Just put some oils around the O-ring on the new filter before you put it on. This will make it easy to get off the next time...

Why use motorcycle oil?

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

And why is that? Care to explain this one?

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
W

wrightme43

LOL

This is the best answer ever. If the site would let me use this as my signature I would.

Defy Inertia

I know that you may be considering the use of synthetic oil in your bikes. But you really should Very cautious of synthetic oil! It can do terrible things both to you, and to your bike. Synthetic oil will not only leak out of your engine faster than you can put it in, but it will also cause your oil filter to clog and implode, dumping debris and dirt into your lubrication system. It also will make every part of your bike permanently slippery because of its linear molecular chain dispersion action.

Then it will leak onto your kickstand causing it to retract automatically and without warning, dropping your bike flat on the rocky ground! But that's not all . . . . Synthetic oil will round off your gears and spin your bearings. Synthetic oil will also splatter onto your seat causing your girlfriend to fall off in the apex of a turn and then she will never ride with, or sleep with, you again. Synthetic oil coats your oil sight window with a whitish pro-emulsification additive that is both non-removable and highly corrosive. Synthetic oil will completely leak out onto the ground overnight, force your favorite dog to drink it at gunpoint, and he will then die a slow horrible writhing death.

Synthetic oil will wear out your tires and make your battery leak. It will give you the desperate need to urinate after you put your full leathers on and then jam all your zippers shut. Synthetic oil will contaminate your gasoline causing your bike to stall on railroad tracks and accelerate uncontrollably near police cars. Synthetic oil will make it rain during rallies and on every weekend. It will causing your cam drive to jump teeth and break your valves to bits. Synthetic oil chemically weakens desmodromic valves and causes the clearances to change every sixteen miles. Then it melts the black soles of your riding boots night before you walk across your new carpeting.

While riding past groups of attractive women it will cause both of your handlebar grips to slip off at the same time so you smash your windscreen with the bridge of your nose. It also causes your swingarm to crack, your studs to break, and your rotors to warp. Synthetic oil then voids your warranty by changing your odometer reading to 55,555 overnight. It also dries out your wet clutch and wets your dryclutch. It makes your clutch cable or slave cylinder seal fail in the heaviest traffic on the hottest day of the year while putting an angry wasp in your helmet for good measure.

Synthetic oil hides your 13mm socket and puts superglue on your earplugs. Synthetic oil will scratch your face shield and make your gloves shrink two sizes the night before track day. Synthetic oil will then steal your neutral and sell it for $1.25.

So let's be careful out there

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Steve,
that was one of the funniest things i've read in a long time. I appreciate you for posting that it made my day. :thumbup::thumbup:

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site

Guys, thank you very much for the info and suggestions!!

I finally managed to remove the old filter - with a screw driver (I don't like it but I had to do it this way).
As far as the oil itself is concerned I bought the 15W50 from the Yamaha dealer in Bulgaria. They are a branch of Motodynamics (the Greek Yamaha dealership).

BTW one very important thing - one small plastic part had gone into the larger diameter tube that carries dirty oil into the oil filter. I discovered it when I finally removed the filter and looked into the tube. The reason should be the damaging character of the "screw driver" method :). So be careful!!

Thanks and have a great day!

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site

LOL

I know that you may be considering the use of synthetic oil in your bikes. But you really should Very cautious of synthetic oil! It can do terrible things both to you, and to your bike. Synthetic oil will not only leak out of your engine faster than you can put it in, but it will also cause your oil filter to clog and implode, dumping debris and dirt into your lubrication system. It also will make every part of your bike permanently slippery because of its linear molecular chain dispersion action.

Then it will leak onto your kickstand causing it to retract automatically and without warning, dropping your bike flat on the rocky ground! But that's not all . . . . Synthetic oil will round off your gears and spin your bearings. Synthetic oil will also splatter onto your seat causing your girlfriend to fall off in the apex of a turn and then she will never ride with, or sleep with, you again. Synthetic oil coats your oil sight window with a whitish pro-emulsification additive that is both non-removable and highly corrosive. Synthetic oil will completely leak out onto the ground overnight, force your favorite dog to drink it at gunpoint, and he will then die a slow horrible writhing death.

Synthetic oil will wear out your tires and make your battery leak. It will give you the desperate need to urinate after you put your full leathers on and then jam all your zippers shut. Synthetic oil will contaminate your gasoline causing your bike to stall on railroad tracks and accelerate uncontrollably near police cars. Synthetic oil will make it rain during rallies and on every weekend. It will causing your cam drive to jump teeth and break your valves to bits. Synthetic oil chemically weakens desmodromic valves and causes the clearances to change every sixteen miles. Then it melts the black soles of your riding boots night before you walk across your new carpeting.

While riding past groups of attractive women it will cause both of your handlebar grips to slip off at the same time so you smash your windscreen with the bridge of your nose. It also causes your swingarm to crack, your studs to break, and your rotors to warp. Synthetic oil then voids your warranty by changing your odometer reading to 55,555 overnight. It also dries out your wet clutch and wets your dryclutch. It makes your clutch cable or slave cylinder seal fail in the heaviest traffic on the hottest day of the year while putting an angry wasp in your helmet for good measure.

Synthetic oil hides your 13mm socket and puts superglue on your earplugs. Synthetic oil will scratch your face shield and make your gloves shrink two sizes the night before track day. Synthetic oil will then steal your neutral and sell it for $1.25.

So let's be careful out there

WOW, Synthetic oil is EVIL....

W

wrightme43

Steve,
that was one of the funniest things i've read in a long time. I appreciate you for posting that it made my day. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thank Nate Defy Inertia. He wrote it. I just laugh at it. LOL

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mobil 1 10-40W synthetic motor oil OK?

Bought it today - it does not have the energy conserving rating. It does say for high mileage cars?? Anybody use it in the motorcycle? I have never change my motorcycle oil and am second guessing myself....would appreciate some support. the stealership wants $215 and for me to leave to bike for two days!!! I bought the stuff and will follow the beautiful write up in How To.
Thanks for the info!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Mobil 1 10-40W synthetic motor oil OK?

Bought it today - it does not have the energy conserving rating. It does say for high mileage cars?? Anybody use it in the motorcycle? I have never change my motorcycle oil and am second guessing myself....would appreciate some support. the stealership wants $215 and for me to leave to bike for two days!!! I bought the stuff and will follow the beautiful write up in How To.
Thanks for the info!

It will work fine.... better choice would be Mobil 1 15w-50 syn or here in Canada we get the 5W-50... I used it for years... Now, since I found Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic in Canada, I switched to it....

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site

why the 15-50? I did see it but thought the 10w-40 is closer to what the factory recommends. Plus, you just said that you use 5w-40? I saw the Rotella T, but this Walmart didd not have the synthetic version.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

why the 15-50? I did see it but thought the 10w-40 is closer to what the factory recommends. Plus, you just said that you use 5w-40? I saw the Rotella T, but this Walmart didd not have the synthetic version.

The first number represents low temp pumpability the second number represents high temp protection. Unless you are driving below freezing 15W - 50 is better suited for the hot summers in the USA (Canada is a little cooler)... Technically 15W - 50 offers you more high temp protection.... however 10W-40 would keep your FZ6 happy as well...

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Rotella T is a diesel oil... wait... don't panic, gasoline engines can use it as well. Rotella T is a industrial grade oil... meant for big rigs, tractors, and million dollar earth movers. Rotella T has very high content of Boron (acid neutralizer), Zinc and phosphorous... which are exceptional lubricants. It also has much better detergent package for keeping the engines clean. Rotella T has much more of all this stuff than your typical consumer grade oils. These extra additives are very benificial to our bikes as you can imagine. If multi million dollar farm equipment trust it, then so do I....:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.