Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: what type/brand of oil do you use?

I was speaking of the oil selection only, but since you are bringing up the whole change process...

And they are basing these intervals on what, science? I don't think so. If you are going to be scientific about it, you will have to do it like they do oil changes on large truck/bus fleets. Pick an oil that has a know track record. Run the oil for X number of miles send a sample off for analysis, and adjust the change interval accordingly.

That is correct, a UOA provides a starting point. Some engines are murder on oil. VW's 1.8t is one, it will destroy a top quality synthetic in 4-5k miles. Nissans VQ35de is another, it will use up a good dino oil in 3000 miles. So until you know what your specific engine is doing to the oil, picking a OCI is kind of a guessing game. Too early and it is wasted money, too late and you can be damaging you engine. I do a UOA on every vehicle I own once a year, just to be sure that my plan does not need adjustment. As engines wear, your service intervals change. Motorcycle engines are tough on oil due to the shearing forces of the gear box. Most manufacturer recomended intervals and oils will be ok, but at least in my bikes, just barely.

W

wrightme43

Re: What oil do you guys use

Nope everybody uses Yamalube here. LOL LOL J/King.

Check the search box. Its a dead horse. Sorta like Hillary's derby pick.

B

Bo67

Oil? I use Mobil Racing 4T Synthetic. Lots of good threads here on that.
More importantly, I noticed your hometown as Woodstock.
I grew up in Crystal Lake and actually bought a bike from Cycle Craft Yamaha/Suzuki (back then) in 1985.
Just wanted to say hey if nothing else. I imagine those two towns have just about merged together by now but i might be wrong...

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site

We can never have too many oil threads! :D

Shell Rotella Synthetic 15W-40 all year round (from Wallmart), and love it :thumbup:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com

We can never have too many oil threads! :D

Yes we can.....

I've never seen what should be a pretty straight forward topic, get beaten to death so much as oil!!

This thread is now done.

Please go READ all the other oil threads on this forum before starting yet another one!

(I'm waiting for the next awesome topic, "So what food do you guys eat and what is the best?"

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Yes we can.....

I've never seen what should be a pretty straight forward topic, get beaten to death so much as oil!!

This thread is now done.

Please go READ all the other oil threads on this forum before starting yet another one!

(I'm waiting for the next awesome topic, "So what food do you guys eat and what is the best?"

Boneman, you are right we can do better, how about, "Where do you get the air for your tires?" I get mine at Exxon, it's polar bear free.

W

wrightme43

Re: What oil?

Oh I missed this, since my computer was toasty. That explains alot of things.

acim

Reaction score
www.acim.net
Re: How to do an oil change

How about filling oil filter partly with oil before the installation? I mean to the level so you don't spill the oil while mounting the filter. It is something like to the half of oil filter, then you quickly mount it without spilling.

Some old mechanics told me this is generally good idea, because when you start the engine with brand new oil (old drained before), it starts circulating the oil inside and there can be some short gap in oiling the engine while the oil filter gets full. This usually doesn't harm the engine, but if you fill the filter partly before the installation, this gap time is even shorter, so your engine is even more protected, no rotation withouth good oil pressure. I hope I explained this good enough, besides English is not my native language.

Of course, this can be true just for some old bikes, maybe construction of new engines is better regarding the oil circulation. I just do this way to be on the safe side, because I like jobs perfectly done :)

@biker_dude43
You did this in very clean way, my congratulations!

Last edited:

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: How to do an oil change

say, i got a question(s)...

1. do you check the oil with the dip stick threaded into the engine? on my old gs500, you were supposed to leave it unthreaded into the engine.
2. do you check the oil on the sidestand, centerstand, or do you lean the bike over so that it sits upright on both wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.