What chain lube/wax for long tips?

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I am going to be taking a trip on my bike later this summer. A couple of the days will be over 500 miles. What does everyone suggest for a long lasting chain lube or wax? I plan on relubing the chain at the end of the day, but not angry more often so it has a chance to dry. It would also be nice if i could get it in smaller amounts so it doesn't take much storage space. Thanks

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been a fan of Maxima chain wax, though I've never used anything else. Doesn't sling, easy to apply, seems to do a good job at protecting the chain.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a fan of chain wax as it doesn't prevent rust. Try Honda Chain lube with moly. Been using it for years, very clean and great product but I haven't seen in in the smaller can. Most any chain lube in the smaller can will work if packing is an issue. .

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can get pj1 in a smaller 8oz can and that should last you the trip. Just lube after a long day of riding and you'll be fine. I've never had a problem with that stuff on trips.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I used Maxima chain wax for the life of one chain. Never again. IMO chains are a metal moving part and need lubrication. . I lube my chin every other fill up on a trip. 1st thing after stopping at the pump put it on that handy device called a centerstand, start the motor, 1st gear clutch out, and spray on the bottom run (be careful!). No mess, no bother. After you fill up, clean your visor, and take a leak it's all good to go!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I won't touch chain wax either.

I recently bought this chain lube; Honda chain lube with Graphite.

Pro Honda Chain Lube with White Graphite 15 Oz | eBay

Prior, I checked the Honda website and its recommended over the Moly for street bikes.

Very little if any sling off and it lasts the longest of ANY lube I've used since 1979... Just ordered another 2 can's, EXCELLENT and highly RECOMMENDED

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Surprised to see all the chain wax bashers here. I think I actually found the recommendation to use Maxima chain wax on this forum. It's good. No rust, no sling, and a smooth running chain.

I have yet to see any emprical evidence to suggest the superiority of one product over the other. Everything I've read is simply forum banter. Some claim wax does not attract dirt like oil, and others claim the opposite! Same for wet/dry conditions.

MakersTeleMark

Reaction score
Visit site
Just go to your local bike shop and pick up a small bottle of whatever they recommend for riding in dusty areas. I'm currently using "Rock N Roll" lubrication's "Extreme".

Tucks right into the tankbag.

imatt

Not a Junior Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I first tried the kind you get at cyclegear,
4G8aLV0b.jpg
, but I could feel the chain start crunching usually within a tank of gas. I have since only used Maxima chain wax. Does very little slinging even if you spray-and-go without letting all the aerosoles flash off first. Cleans up nicely with their chain cleaner and a chain brush too.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used Castrol chain wax whenever I remembered to lube the chain and got more than 50,000km from the stocker. Now I am using Bel-Ray (not sure if it's wax or lube, can't be bothered to go look in the garage) and again, lubing when I think about it, usually after washing.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
actually found the recommendation to use Maxima chain wax on this forum. It's good. No rust, no sling, and a smooth running chain.

I have yet to see any emprical evidence to suggest the superiority of one product over the other. Everything I've read is simply forum banter. Some claim wax does not attract dirt like oil, and others claim the opposite! Same for wet/dry conditions.

Maxima chain wax was the first and only chain wax I tried. My chain (a non o-ring on a KLR) literally rusted from the inner rollers out.

And yes, the bike / chain was meticulously maintained.

Maxima makes VERY good products, I just used their fork oil in a fork oil change on my FZ. Chain wax, (any brand)-NEVER again....

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
Much if any sling off?? Can I assume its a spray?

it's spray and my bike is quite clean when I use correct amount of oil at correct time.
(I'm spraying the oil when my chain is warm and applying only inside of chain where touches to sprockets. And turning rear wheel with my hand for making centrifugal force to oil and getting it inside of pins).

71CP17MyvNL._SL1500_.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
it's spray and my bike is quite clean when I use correct amount of oil at correct time.
(I'm spraying the oil when my chain is warm and applying only inside of chain where touches to sprockets. And turning rear wheel with my hand for making centrifugal force to oil and getting it inside of pins).

Short of riding in the rain, does it seem to hold up for a fair amount of miles?

*I think now, the previous chain lube I was using was the cause of the pre-mature ear of my chain (o-rings spitting out) as that lube would tend to "gum up" rather quickly.

This other Honda lube, with graphite, doesn't seem to gum up at all and definitely lasts a whole lot longer than my previous chain lube.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I won't touch chain wax either.

I recently bought this chain lube; Honda chain lube with Graphite.

Pro Honda Chain Lube with White Graphite 15 Oz | eBay

Prior, I checked the Honda website and its recommended over the Moly for street bikes.

Very little if any sling off and it lasts the longest of ANY lube I've used since 1979... Just ordered another 2 can's, EXCELLENT and highly RECOMMENDED

Now I know Townsend Scott and I already had this conversation on another thread..

But, I've been using the Honda Pro with "Moly". I'm currently at 24,000 mi on my oem chain.

By our note comparisons it looked like the Honda Pro with Graphite lasts a little longer than Honda Pro with "Moly"

Both seem to be Great chain lubes. We've both had good luck with them. Can we say: Scott Recommended? Scott & Scott give Honda Pro 2 thumbs up? Ok, I'm done now...

I take a can with me on trips and lube at the end of the day. Some days are 500+ miles. Otherwise the chain gets a quick lube every few hundred miles of normal use.

Re: Wax: I use chain wax on my bicycle chains religously, and it works the best, but theres a little different condition where the ability to shed mud and dirt is the highest priority for increasing chain life.

Just my 2cents on it all!
-Scott A

Last edited:

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
Short of riding in the rain, does it seem to hold up for a fair amount of miles?

*I think now, the previous chain lube I was using was the cause of the pre-mature ear of my chain (o-rings spitting out) as that lube would tend to "gum up" rather quickly.

This other Honda lube, with graphite, doesn't seem to gum up at all and definitely lasts a whole lot longer than my previous chain lube.

I really don't know. My bike sits on street so if I rode when raining, I leave the bike on street and runing to home quickly. :D

BUT I've inspected the chain after a rainy ride and it was little blackened.
So if there is no lube, chain will look clean. Am I wrong?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I know Townsend Scott and I already had this conversation on another thread..

But, I've been using the Honda Pro with "Moly". I'm currently at 24,000 mi on my oem chain.

By our note comparisons it looked like the Honda Pro with Graphite lasts a little longer than Honda Pro with "Moly"

Both seem to be Great chain lubes. We've both had good luck with them. Can we say: Scott Recommended? Scott & Scott give Honda Pro 2 thumbs up? Ok, I'm done now...

I take a can with me on trips and lube at the end of the day. Some days are 500+ miles. Otherwise the chain gets a quick lube every few hundred miles of normal use.

Re: Wax: I use chain wax on my bicycle chains religously, and it works the best, but theres a little different condition where the ability to shed mud and dirt is the highest priority for increasing chain life.

Just my 2cents on it all!
-Scott A

I remember that thread and bought the Honda chain lube on your recommendation.

The site I bought it from didn't have a choice and I assumed it was the same as you mentioned. BUT it was the graphite lube.

Anyway, I'm very happy with the graphite stuff, much better than the other stuff I was using...

I do appreciate that recommendation in either case. I ordered 2 more can's(4 total)