Anyone using Maxima 74920 Chain Wax v.s Dupoint chainwax?

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
It's dirty I know and I know!

So I've been using Dupoint Chainwax without any dust collective issue. It just came upon once the shop changed my rear tire and put some wax on my chain...it was sticky white chain lube and totally different what Dupoint wax I was using. After 500 miles, I inspected today and saw dirt being built up on chain pulleys which never happened before using Dupoint.

I bought this Chainwax today and it's not white sticky wax but yellow sticky wax. I didn't know it was yellow wax (while Dupoint's white) so I sprayed and 15 mins later it was like jello and sticky too.

I cleaned that up and used the Dupoint and sprayed all the ways through. After 15 mins later I didn't see the sticky-wax-jello alike like the other two.

Question,
a/Does it have to be sticky-wax-jello alike when lubing the chain but Dupoint doesn't have that effect at all? I've been using Dupoint 10K miles and it works pretty good as I kept lubing every 500 miles and chain's been quiet and no dust collecting at all!
b/ What is the preferred chain wax being used mostly? I know that someone just sprays WD40 every week and it should just work fine but what's better wax to make chain, sprockets lives longer without collecting dust (I hate that sticky chain lube)

thx,
jh

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll no doubt get controversial answers when it comes to oils/lubricants.

Some have said that WD-40 is not good for "O" rings. I think you'd have to use a lot of the WD-40 to damage the "O" rings and the only thing I would think would hurt the "O" rings would be the vehicle solution that carries the actual WD-40 lubricate/water displacement product to the chain via propellent. WD-40 is known to get gummy and therefore may not be optimal as just a stand alone lubricant in specific applications. I've used it in the past, on a rag, to wipe down my chain and then lubricate the chain with Chain wax. I use the chain wax but I service my chain by cleaning and lubing very frequently.
Today I use kerosene as a cleaner. :)

petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll no doubt get controversial answers when it comes to oils/lubricants.

Some have said that WD-40 is not good for "O" rings. I think you'd have to use a lot of the WD-40 to damage the "O" rings and the only thing I would think would hurt the "O" rings would be the solution that carries the actual WD-40 lubricate/water displacement product to the chain via its propellent. WD-40 is known to get gummy and therefore may not be optimal as just a stand alone lubricant in specific applications. I've used it in the past, on a rag, to wipe down my chain and then lubricate the chain with Chain wax. I use the chain wax but I service my chain by cleaning and lubing very frequently.
Today I use kerosene as a cleaner. :)

+1 ^^^

What Motogiro said. I ask 100 different people and you'll get 200 answers. Some swear by WD-40, I think it's mispurposed (is that a word?) for lubing a chain. I frankly don't bother getting into arguments with those WD-40 apostles. I think it's great for cleaner (as a solvent), have used it to get gunk and grime off the drive sprocket and other parts, and then went back and actually lubed with a real chain lube. They (chain lubes) ARE meant to be sticky and, as with anything, they have to stick to chains, they WILL be and HAVE to be sticky to work. The problem with WD-40 is that it's made to displace water and get into crevasses, from electrical, mechanical parts, etc, so it's a very thin lubricant diluted by (mostly) solvent.

Ask yourself this, if WD-40 is such a great chain lube, why is gear oil so think and sticky? I think practicality will answer that for you without any need to be a petroleum engineer and be able to explain lubrication attributes, etc.

Use your Teflon Chain Wax (your white PTFEs or whatever) gear oils of whatever floats your boat. If you wanna use WD-40, that's fine, but it'll prolly dry out the O-ring faster and ultimately shorten the life of the chain. Using the sticky stuff helps to keep them (o-rings) moist and hold the manufacturer fed-grease in without degrading the original o rings. After all life span is what we are all after, while still functioning according to original manufacturer specs. Take the advice with a grain of salt, (even mine, I'm no expert), but I've used all types, even your PTFE, and they all work fine. I like the super thick ones that get into the crevasses because I know they are sticking to the o-rings and know they are getting in between the links. That's what you want. Everything else is bull-loney.

If it works, do it and to hell with everyone else. Bottom line.

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't lubewax interfere with regular re-applications? I mean, with just "normal" chain lube I feel good when I regularly apply it. But, with the wax lubes, doesn't the wax buildup start interfering with new application of lube? I used the lubewax stuff one time and now I feel that I should clean the entire chain again with kerosene to remove the wax before using conventional chain lube again. With regular chain lube application, there's no wax buildup. I think too much wax buildup is NOT good.

WD-40---naaah, I think it's not so good for lubing

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't lubewax interfere with regular re-applications? I mean, with just "normal" chain lube I feel good when I regularly apply it. But, with the wax lubes, doesn't the wax buildup start interfering with new application of lube? I used the lubewax stuff one time and now I feel that I should clean the entire chain again with kerosene to remove the wax before using conventional chain lube again. With regular chain lube application, there's no wax buildup. I think too much wax buildup is NOT good.

WD-40---naaah, I think it's not so good for lubing

I think it would present a problem for users that don't clean the chain often enough. I always wipe down my chain using a kerosene soaked rag before lubing. I do this probably at around 250-300 mile intervals. At about 1000 miles I get out the brushes and do a good cleaning and lube.
Maybe if you're in a wet climate doing a lot of rainy rides the shot of WD-40 as a wiping agent might serve well but you then want to use your chain lube of choice afterward.

I don't get the feeling that WD-40 as most would use it on a chain would harm the "O" rings. I have some loose "O" rings floating around and I think I'll wipe any grease off them and soak them in WD-40 to see if there seems to be any change (physical size/elasticity) in characteristic of the ring.... :)

Since I regularly clean and lube, I also use a rag as I lube to catch any over spray and rub any excess off the chain and insure that the excess lube gets dispersed on all of the chain. :)

petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
Again, I defer to Tailgate's and Motogiro's explanation.

Not because the teflon lubes won't work, I'm sure they will and do work fine, but to address the buildup is the key. I think with the application of any product, Motul, PJ1, Maxima, etc. (traditional petroleum based vs PTFE), would eventually lead to crud buildup in between the linkages and everywhere in between. That's what could cause you a lot of problems.

I think I should have been more clear about one point: cleaning.

Using all the products above (with the exception of WD-40, it's really not a lube) do require cleaning. Think about it, the thick sticky stuff attracts dirt. Where does that dirt go? Well of course in between the linkages and getting in the places you DON'T want it to go. That could cause rubbing and degradation of the metal and rubber parts which shortens the life of the chain.

So to summarize, just make sure you give it a thorough cleaning, not necessarily every time (we want to ride the bike not just clean and prep it), but every so often, give it a thorough cleaning with (my fav) kerosene and then lube it properly (and quickly to not let the kerosene destroy the rubber) to maintain the life of the chain.

Anyway, my two cents.....again there are a lot of more knowledgeable people in this forum than me, but remember, the manufactured materials are so good today, that a quality chain will last even with those SO knowledgeable that they use WD-40 to lube their chain (that was sarcasm, as it doesn't often show up in text)....

Safe riding my friend, safe riding. And forgive my terrible spelling.

Please correct me guys and gals out there if I'm way off base. But I'm only telling you what I've learned through experience and lot of nights where I should have been out drinking.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Peter well said + 5^^

IME: WD40 won't last a month on a door hinge why would i use it on my chain?!!

Its primary function is a solvent and it does desolve what it contacts essentially making the surrounding lubes "reflow" so it gives the perception of working when in fact it simply evaporated within 48hours... But its action can make the existing lube flow enough to basically function.

Thats my 2C... I use it for a cleaner as it basically hoses off. Its good for removing tar and bug splatter! :eek:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Currently using Motul, have used some others that were supposed to be sticky etc. Maxima has a synthetic and non-synthetic, have used both. My problem is when applying I always wipe the excess off very carefully but some still fling off and get everywhere - all over the rim and ocasionally on the tire!!! The Motul does not do this if carefully applied but have had problems with others. Clean and lube my chain regularly and have had no issues with excessive chain wear. Currently have 12,000 miles on my chain and it looks like new (when clean). Currently it just looks cold. :-(