Basic Bike Knowledge

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, I'll start this off by saying that I really don't feel like I know much about the "why's" of bikes. I do not come from a motorcycling background, I do not have bikers in the family, and I don't "hang" with bikers. My motorcycle experience is solely from my riding and from frame-off rebuilding my last bike. I know "how" to do everything and "why" I do everything but some of the more practical application is lost on me.

I ride to work all summer, which is an hour away doing 70 miles an hour. I understand chain maintenance to mean checking the play in the chain, cleaning, and lubricating the chain every 500 miles. This means that I'm scrubbing and relubing my chain every 3-4 days and changing my oil every 60 days. To me, this seems excessive - or I have the wrong motorcycle. I'm not entirely sure which but this seems like a lot of time spent on maintenance (not that I'm opposed to this....) in the year of our Lord 2015. Am I overdoing this or is this completely normal for everyone else out there?

Second, I normally use PJ1 Black Label chain lube. I read about guys using wax vs lube, etc etc. I'm not attempting to start a lube war, but what is the real difference between liquid snot like PJ1 and a chain "wax" which seems to provide a thicker, more dirt resistant coating?

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I gave up the 500 mile clean and lube. Like you I got tired of doing it. After installing a new chain and sprockets I switch to Bel-Ray Super Clean lube and spray whenever it looks like it needs it. Don't even check mileage. In the last 5500 miles I cleaned it twice. The chain and sprockets still look new and runs smooth.

I figure if this only gets me 10 or 15k miles before it needs replacing again fine with me.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cleaning every time is insane. My schedule is very roughly:
~ Clean it, lube it, run it 450 miles
~ Lube approx 5X every 4XX miles ^^ like Steve, if it looks bare, lube it.
~ Clean the chain and repeat

I didn't see this thread till after adding to another post and had no idea it was about chain lube. That said, this does seem to go 500 miles. Most products I've used do not. Wax's and Teflon and I feel chain vibes in 300 miles but the Bike and chain look great, just free of lube.

Thus, looking for the best of all worlds and found this, but the bottles spout is so big it just floods out soaking the chain and then FLIES EVERYWHERE! So I made that applicator.
56133d1424114393-show-us-your-fz-special-tools-img_20150215_132219_902-jpg

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! I love that applicator, the chain lube sounds good too,don't they all though! Lubes and conditions the O rings both, what more do you need? How does it work for you? I think you could sell that set up. I'll go 1st.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
What's the mileage on that 60 day oil change? It seems excessive. I don't know why, but Haynes has oil changes at 4000/6000 (US/EU), and running at 6000 intervals, I'm changing oil every 4-5 months.

Chain cleaning seems about right. My work schedule gets me in for a scrub every four days (360 miles) in winter, but it can be double that or more in summer.

I tried the wax for a bit. It's supposed to be better for bigger, more powerful bikes, but it just didn't seem to last as long.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to give the Dumonde BHP a try.
And because of the title of this thread It makes me think of this picture someone posted on the forum a while back. It always makes me smile...

bnw%2BB%2Bto%2BB%2Bratio.jpg

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now we need a Bill Of Materials (BOM) for the applicator parts. And work instructions to assemble it! Blah

Warning; your chain wont look to pretty but it will be smooth!

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Please round everything up(BOM) and let me know,OK? What do you mean 'your chain wont be pretty'? Is this lube sticky or gummy, does it fling off?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried chain wax and didn't care for it at all.. You have to ge the chain warm, then apply, etc. After using it, I also had some rusting (another bike, smaller chain).

As noted above, if it looks dry, I lube it.

Should you go to a full synthetic engine oil, you can probably extend your oil change/filter intervals a bit..

City riding/slow, stop and go, etc is much harder on the engine oil than your highway speeds your doing now..

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Please round everything up(BOM) and let me know,OK? What do you mean 'your chain wont be pretty'? Is this lube sticky or gummy, does it fling off?

Its oil and its not as sticky as I'd like. I'm using it as everything else I've tried seems to create a level of vibes. Putting this on, its gone. Read the product review I did. My first application from the pour spot was horrid. It flew everywhere! WAAAAAY too much comes out!!

In short I tried tooth brush, then a single tipped syringe but that took too long so I made the double tipped applicator.

Product Review: DUMONDE Tech, BHP Chain Lubrication & O-Ring Conditioner

It has the basic info and I'll throw what I know about the materials used aka BOM info in it too.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Chains suck but I agree with Scott that chain wax wasn't for me either (same reasons).

I have been real happy with the honda chain lube https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/771/35716/Pro-Honda-Chain-Lube-With-Moly

Yamaha recommendation is to clean the chain with kerosene and wash with soapy water. Short 5 minute ride to dry the chain before new chain lube about every 1-2,000 miles,to follow up I use the Honda lube every 3-500 miles between cleanings.

My KTM has 21,500 miles on the eom chain and sprockets and still going!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...I don't wax/grease my chain ever...didn't for my Ninja 250 before and I got a little over 15K on it before it needed retightening every 3 rides or so. I'm assuming the 530 chain on this is even more durable
*ducks behind cover*

I really hate chains...why can't we all be on belts like civilized folk lol

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Chains suck but I agree with Scott that chain wax wasn't for me either (same reasons).

I have been real happy with the honda chain lube https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/771/35716/Pro-Honda-Chain-Lube-With-Moly

Yamaha recommendation is to clean the chain with kerosene and wash with soapy water. Short 5 minute ride to dry the chain before new chain lube about every 1-2,000 miles,to follow up I use the Honda lube every 3-500 miles between cleanings.

My KTM has 21,500 miles on the eom chain and sprockets and still going!

I use the Honda Pro chain lube like that too. I lube every 300 or so miles. Then give a quick wipe with an old dirty rag to get the excess. If I'm out for a 300+ mile day then I just hit it when I get home.
For cleaning I use some Purple Power cleaner, a pretty decent degreaser, spray it down let it soak while i give the bike a quick scrub, then hit it with a bristle brush. I dont spend a ton of time on it. I do that once about every 1,000 miles.

As of right now the FZ sits with original chain & sprockets, 21,500ish miles.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
...I don't wax/grease my chain ever...didn't for my Ninja 250 before and I got a little over 15K on it before it needed retightening every 3 rides or so. I'm assuming the 530 chain on this is even more durable
*ducks behind cover*

I really hate chains...why can't we all be on belts like civilized folk lol

As soon as they make different size sprockets for belt drive. The factory final gear ratio on many bikes leaves much to be desired.

This space intentionally left blank.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm getting 3k to 5k miles between oil changes. I switched to full synth last year and this spring I'm going to start sending my oil out to blackstone for testing. I'd like to think I could push it out towards 6-8k miles between changes. It may be my imagination but it seems like it starts to run rougher about 3k miles into a fresh oil change. The PJ1 has horrible sling-off, even when applied to a hot chain and let sit overnight. It definitely picks up road-trash though. Chains suck.

I can get a brand new FJR here for $12k and I'm thinking about making the switch. I used to have a shaft drive honda vtx that I really liked not having to do maintenance on.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As soon as they make different size sprockets for belt drive. The factory final gear ratio on many bikes leaves much to be desired.

You're arguing the ease of gearing changes with sprockets/chains?

That's usually the argument, but if the aftermarket industry really gets behind belts, couldn't the same be done for a belt system? I guess maybe kits with the different size pulleys and appropriately lengthened or shorthened belt?

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
You're arguing the ease of gearing changes with sprockets/chains?

That's usually the argument, but if the aftermarket industry really gets behind belts, couldn't the same be done for a belt system? I guess maybe kits with the different size pulleys and appropriately lengthened or shorthened belt?

Not "ease" so much as "availability of options". Before the aftermarket industry could get behind it, the Moto manufacturers would actually have to produce sportbikes that have belt drive.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not "ease" so much as "availability of options". Before the aftermarket industry could get behind it, the Moto manufacturers would actually have to produce sportbikes that have belt drive.

Well I meant an implied ease of options available but yeah that's what I mean, I wish more and more manufacturers would switch to belt, chains is so archaic and nasty lol.

Shaft is cool too, but they are often much heavier than both chain and belt drives.