Well, it was my turn to go down

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Like everyone else has said: Get well soon & glad you're able to operate a keyboard!:cheer:
Let us know the details when you're rested enough.

(We need an emoticon that says "get well soon"!)

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you are doing alright. Boredom in the ER is definitely a good sign.:thumbup:
When you get out, gives us the details of the crash, what gear you had, how it held up, etc.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm OK, just bored in the ER. Where's Nelly when you need him. I post the detaols later.

That's one dedicated member. Going down and posting in the ER! I'll have to give you some rep points there.

Sound like you took an ambulance ride....lights and siren?

Hope it's nothing too serious. Heel quick and bounce back.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Now for the details. I deceided to ride the bike to work yesterday which I very rarely do. I put a new Dunlop Roadsmart on the night before and figured I would break it in before the weekend with a nice easy ride to work (I was going to post up how the change went, I did it myself). I left a little later then i normally would to avoid the congestion. I took the back roads to avoid Route 80. About a quarter of a mile from our parkng lot this guy pulls out of a parking lot driveway and looks like he is making a right turn. He then shoots across the road in front of me to get into a street a little offset from the driveway:eek:. Turns out that the guy was running late and taking a short cut through the parking lot to get to his building across the road.

There was absolutly no time to do much. If I turned I would have clipped his rear end. Only thing I could do was scream F***, and try and scrub off a little speed. I grabbed the brake and luckily Slowed enough to give him time to move from directly in front of me. I think the back end came up and swung to the right since I remember seeing the right side of the front tire as I was going down.

I missed hitting the car but went into a lowside slide. I ended up on my stomach during the slide. I remember sliding and spinning then jamming my the tips of my finger into a repair in the road which gave me nice bruises and a swollen pinky.

So the extent of the injuries are a chunk of skin out of the knee, some bruised fingers and a lot of muscle pain in the shoulders. I guess I fiared pretty well.

The Gear handled the situation pretty good also. Now remember that this was not a high speed crash and I was moving at about 30 MPH before I braked. The A* gloves ended up with a tear in the palm on one hand, the jacket, an A* mesh with CE armor in the elbows and shoulders, just some abrasions and minors tears in the elbow areas. The boots, also A*'s some scuff marks on the sides and a tear in the toe area. The pants, well I deserve a :spank:. I was wearing a pair of Dockers for work, If I had riding pants on I probably would have escaped with only bruises.

The bike is ridable (if I could bend my leg that is). All the damage is on the left side, the front fairing, clutch lever, bar end side pod, engine side cover, rear grab bar all have grind scars. The front bracket that holds the fairing on is tweaked to the right. The gas tank has a small dent in the side.

Well thats the story. And here are the pics of the bike, I didn't post the pic of the knee, but I will if requested,(I didn't want to gross anybody out).

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are ok! I wanna be grossed out.. besides pictures are good to remind us of the importance of wearing riding pants.

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
not that i am one to speak since i don't have them either but it might be time for some sliders. is the guys insurance going to cover it? I am glad that you are ok. bike doesn't look too bad but those are some expensive bits that you rashed up.

personally i would not replace the gear with A*. If you were going 30 and scrubbed off some speed before the gear went to the ground then there is no way that it should be tearing apart already... Imagine how it would have been at 50 or even 80. I would write to A* and tell them how disappointed you are in how this "Protective" gear held up in a low speed zero impact (no collision, just a lowside correct) crash. Maybe they will buy it back for research.

Just my take on the equipment.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay then, there no too bad, the first is at the scene and then at the hospital, I guess you can say they are before and after shots. (the pants were cut by the officer at the scene, i just had a little tear in them about the size of a quarter.

The pics are from my phone so I couldn't get the best quality.

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
WOw!! I used to have those same gloves untill I saw a post in a forum where a guy burned a hole in them at 40mph... the next day I went out and bought some nice gauntlets with kangaroo skin palms. suppose to be stonger so I hope it helps.

Thanks for the picks and if you need some help healing I would suggest acupuncture or something like it... it works great and you should be able to find a community acupuncture clinic there some where (rates are cheaper $15.00+ )

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That doesn't look too comfy.. but it could have been worse.. back to Rob's question.. is this guy's insurance going to take care of the repairs? Did he stop?

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
not that i am one to speak since i don't have them either but it might be time for some sliders. is the guys insurance going to cover it? I am glad that you are ok. bike doesn't look too bad but those are some expensive bits that you rashed up.

personally i would not replace the gear with A*. If you were going 30 and scrubbed off some speed before the gear went to the ground then there is no way that it should be tearing apart already... Imagine how it would have been at 50 or even 80. I would write to A* and tell them how disappointed you are in how this "Protective" gear held up in a low speed zero impact (no collision, just a lowside correct) crash. Maybe they will buy it back for research.

Just my take on the equipment.

All the debate on the sliders was making confused as to whether theey are better or worse. I was just leaning toward getting them. I am curious how the frame would of made out. From the view I had, laying in the street like road kill, it looked like the sliders would have made a big difference, they way the bike was sliding and spinning on its side, they may not have eliminated the damage, but it would have been lessened to the point where I would have been debated wheter or not to report it to my insurance or not.

The other guys insurance should pay for it, the officer was going to give him tickets. My only concern was that we didn't actually hit each other. If not, I have full coverage, less the deductable of course.

I called Progressive today and they already had an adjuster call me and tell me to bring it whereever I want to fix it. We'll see soon enough how they perform.

As far as the A* gear, I am happy with the performance in this situation, the road where I landed was pretty rough, nothing but sharp rocks sticking out, I cant imagine hitting that surface without gear.:eek:

You do have me thinking that I should try something else.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
That doesn't look too comfy.. but it could have been worse.. back to Rob's question.. is this guy's insurance going to take care of the repairs? Did he stop?

He did stop, he did seem to be truly sorry, it took all I had not to smack him with my helmet. He said he didn't see me, yeah right, if he didnt see me then what made him think to look back to see if I was still riding.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep us posted, it is just not fair that you have to go through all this junk with the insurance company.. maybe even fork over a deductible.. and I hope it doesn't go on your record. MOST IMPORTANTLY, you are OKAY! And you should have smacked him with your helmet, maybe it would make him see better

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Always nice to know your gear held up...I've got the same Alpinestar gloves you have, so for me it's good to know they didtn completely fall apart.

Rest up and hope you get your FZ fixed soon!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You do have me thinking that I should try something else.

I don;t have that much experience with mesh jackets, so i am a bit out of the loop on those, but as far as gloves go i have seen Held's hold up real well and I do know that A* does make good stuff, but the ripping glove is my biggest concern.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Always nice to know your gear held up...I've got the same Alpinestar gloves you have, so for me it's good to know they didtn completely fall apart.

Rest up and hope you get your FZ fixed soon!

I like the gloves alot, but I think I am going to get something with a little more leather in the palm. But like I said before the road was brutle where I landed.

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
I don;t have that much experience with mesh jackets, so i am a bit out of the loop on those, but as far as gloves go i have seen Held's hold up real well and I do know that A* does make good stuff, but the ripping glove is my biggest concern.

Looking at it closely, it looks like the the seam in the palm caught on a rock and ripped, the other glave is flawless.:don'tknow: