Venturing into the world of "I gotta get a new set of tires!"

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Defy, thanks so much for that heads up about swmototire! I'd never heard of them, but they sound great.

I was thinking about going with Pilot Powers from Derby Cycle (they've got a new store here in Lexington now and I can just pick them up), but I wasn't sure if they fit my style of riding. I really wanted the BT-021's because I had the 20's stock (and actually liked them...10k miles) and replaced those with 16's (6k miles). I loved the 16's, but they were really overkill for my riding style and I wore out the center too fast.

The 21's sound like the exact tire I need (wavex convinced me of that with his info about Cali Rider). And for the price swmototire's got them at, I can't pass it up.

Prebstar

FZ6 Maintenance Man
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the roadsmarts on my XJR an i think they are a pretty good tyre. Have just replaced the rear due to my first ever puncture and got 15000 km out of it. Front still has around 2000 km left.
They work well in both wet and dry conditions and get to temp reasonably quick.
I have Metzeler Sportec M3 on the Speed 3 which came with the bike. Never had Metzelers before but they are a pretty good tyre. I've got 5000km on the clock and they are wearing well.
Don't know what they are like in the wet as the Speedy is allergic to the rain.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My two bits:cheer::BLAA:

I've only had Pr2 and Dunlop Roadsmarts, and these tires handle similarly in most respects, with the PR2 coming out slightly in front.

Having said that, Lone is right about the PR2 not wanting to warm up to very much grip on a cold road.....it's really quite amazing how stubborn they are in this respect. I can't ever remember the Roadsmarts doing this to me.

In Everything else the PR2 came out very slightly in front. Dry grip, wet grip, and mileage. If it's out of these two, and money was a major concern, I'd go the cheaper option. It's a significant difference, and in the end, with the bulk of your riding commuting, they'll be great for the job. They also aren't too bad in the twisties, so you don't have to be afraid of hitting them firmly if the mood strikes you:thumbup:.

As for fitting etc. The folks in your area will be much more help than me...funnily enough:D

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
Dean, Not that you need any more input but.....I dealt with Sportbike Trackgear last year and I think I spent 230.00 w/free shipping for a set of Pilot Roads. They came in about 4 days, as I remember. Great wearing tire so far. I suspect we're about the same style of rider. Occasional twistys but more touring. They handle both very well.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Cycle gear will mount them free if you buy them from them but you have to R&R your wheels yourself.

turns out my local cycle gear store DOES charge to mount and balance. if you buy tires from them it's $20.00 per tire if you bring in the rims. plus 3 bucks for a new valve stem and 3 bucks to dispose of your old tire. if you get tires from somewhere else it's $30.00 per rim.

i really wanted to go with cycle sector with the PR2 for 235 a set. it would have only been 40+ more in the end to go with them. but i went with swmototires and got a set of bt-021's for 191.90 shipped to my door. that's pretty good in my book. everywhere i called is going to charge me somewhere in the neighborhood of $70.00 to mount and balance my tires if i bring them the rims. so now i just have to wait 'til they come in and see who can do it with the fastest turn around time.

thanks y'all. i do appreciate it.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
unless you're running balls to the walls on streets, the bridgestones bt021 will be the best bang for your buck in my opinion. The profiles of the michelins and dunlops are soooo different than the battleaxe tires. I like the way my bridgestones ride.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been running a set of the Dunlop Roadsmarts for over 5K now and they're freakin' durable and grip well for me. The stock Dunlop's that came on the bike were bad, but I decided to give the brand another try and I've been pleased. Granted, I'm not an overly aggressive rider...most of my miles are from the daily commute.

I'm also curious about the new Angel ST's from Pirelli. Those look nice too.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Cycle gear will mount them free if you buy them from them but you have to R&R your wheels yourself.
CG mounts for free? (do you have friends there at the SD store?) The CG Superstore in Sacramento charges and I would imagine the policy is the same chain wide, no? Since I bought my BT016's from Cycle Gear I was charged less than if I brought in wheels to be mounted/balanced with tires from somewhere else. The total charge for two wheels mounts and balance was $53 (after $20 per wheel, new valve stem, and CA envioronmental fee for old tire disposal) I've heard from other posters that CG charges (not free just because you bought tires from them). Anyone else had CG mount/balance for free?

Oooops! I see the recent DeanOwens post regarding this. Never mind above. BTW, Cycle Gear did a perfect job about not marring or scratching the rims! Very happy about that. I had asked if they use rim protectors and it was an emphatic "yes!"

Last edited:

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in need of a pair of Pilot Road II, and the best price I've found so far is Tires Express, at $265 for a pair, shipped.. Has anyone found a better price than this?? (I'm also a KLR owner, and we're known for being frugal:rolleyes:)

I change my own tires (have for almost 20 years) and have everything for mounting and balancing..

http://www.tireexpress.com/prod.cfm/cid/9000/pid/19298

Last edited: