Unfriendly Motorcyclists

Gopher

Potential Fireball
Reaction score
www.jamerspad.com
In the UK we also tend to nod rather than wave...

I got snubbed by a BMW at traffic lights the other day... was walking along in full gear with my lid in one hand, and a fag (cigarette) in the other... gave him a big smile, and a subtle wave... but nothing! Just turned his head the other way, blatently ignoring me, and trying to ignore me! Even tho i was only 6 foot away!

There are loads of bikes where I live... and even over the last month (while ive been learning), there has been a massive decrease in the number of nods you get.... what happened to the cameraderie? Or is it that commuters are more ignorant than the tourists? Shame....

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wave to everyone I can, and get very bitchy if they don't wave back. I am just a sensy and take everything to heart. I don't give them :Flip: if they don't wave, I just grumble under my helmet. They are mostly Harley riders (no offense to anyone) and I think some think they are too good to wave to a sport bike rider, especially a girl one. hehe

dhall615

Reaction score
Visit site
I have noticed Harley and BMW riders act like I dont exist. I still wave or give a friendly nod but nothing in return. their loss

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
when i get my MV I'll still give the UK guys the subtle manly sideways nod

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
meant to add that the MV will be the 2nd bike, the (Naked) FZ6 will always be No1

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site
i wave at all of them. i just dont look to see if they waved back. keeps the bad feelings out of it

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I always wave, or at least nod at other riders. It won't hurt my feelings if they don't wave or nod back. Some riders are dinks, but most riders out there are good people.

FzPilot

Reaction score
www.borczm.com
so I guess I'm hangin' with the wrong crowd :D

DSC04383.jpg

Just happens my good friends ride beemers, really cool bunch actually, their background may have something to do with it... They always wave to other riders and appreciate Japanese quality. They cannot stand most Harley riders! (you can put me in the same group)
I am so tired of hearing -switch to redneck accent here- "BUY A HARLEY!"
:Flip:

...i respond in so many different ways, the last one "don't be jealous! - my bike is actually running!

I

inkrediboy

ha ha - i'm glad to see this conversation is still going strong - its a humorous topic, every single one of us has had to embrace this question. The brotherly nod and wave was alive and well for me today.

On my way home today from work on the ONE (come on Sportrider represent with me!!) - I encountered a whole pack of GSXR's. 5 of them, owning the the entire crosswalk in front of me. We made eye contact one by one - and the tension began. In some R1 and Suzuki circles, this is like the Soviet Union and US squaring off with nuclear weapons during the cold war. Complete utter chaos, however quietly stalking your prey - kill or be killed :) ha ha. All bikes have their sworn enemies at birth with rival manufactures - like ford and chevy (those guys are hardcore too), such is Yamaha's with Suzuki sports. So when I got a whole syncronized nod from all of them almost like a domino effect starting from the front to the rear - I had to return it back with one HUGE NOD a big thumbs up followed by a peace sign ha ha ha :). This thread popped into my head and I chuckled under the lid "Mr. Gorbachev - tear down this wall - tear down those walls".

I think the nod and wave could bring world peace and end world hunger - ok won't fix world hunger, but sh$#@t - its a start? Hmm, wonder if I should start nodding to Scooters now - I feel like a diplomat for the UN Security council all of the sudden :)

RA

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think some think they are too good to wave to a sport bike rider, especially a girl one. hehe

Lol...I would especially give the nod to a girl rider;):rof:. Don't see enough of them round here although the 4 or 5 I've seen lately have all given the nod:rockon:. When I stop I stop nodding to lady riders 'cause I think it's beneath me:eek:, bury me deep;)...lol.
Cheers
Mike

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last summer the former GF bought her son a 50cc scooter, and I had to drive it from the dealer to her place, while she followed in my truck.
That poor little thing could barely carry me up the hills (I'm 6'5", 230 lbs) and I imagine I looked pretty silly. A very large Harley was approaching, black leather, bandanna, full beard, the whole stereotype, so I gave him a slightly exaggerated "wave"; all three of us busted out laughing. :D

And I always wave at the scooters; they're just minimum-wage kids driving all they can afford to their jobs, saving their nickels until they can afford a real bike, like those Fizzers whose owners always wave at them. ;)

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had an unfriendly one this morning.Went up the middle of the traffic at an intersection on the way to work and there was a guy on a late 80's CBR1000,the ones we used to call the "flying condom" over here ,at the front when of the traffic,I looked right at him and said "morning" and nodded ,he didn't even glance sideways ! Light went green and I left him behind in a wail of Leo music :thumbup:

Gopher

Potential Fireball
Reaction score
www.jamerspad.com
Hmm, wonder if I should start nodding to Scooters now - I feel like a diplomat for the UN Security council all of the sudden :)

Nicely worded post... made me laugh.

But when you say about the scooters, do you mean the odd one? The baby bikers who need to be embraced and welcomed into the world of riding? Or those annoying posse's of kids who tear up the roads riding three abreast cos they think they look cool riding their sister's hairdryer, and giving bikers in general a bad name?

I

inkrediboy

Nicely worded post... made me laugh.

But when you say about the scooters, do you mean the odd one? The baby bikers who need to be embraced and welcomed into the world of riding? Or those annoying posse's of kids who tear up the roads riding three abreast cos they think they look cool riding their sister's hairdryer, and giving bikers in general a bad name?

In general I was referring to the those Pee-Wee Herman type Marry poppins nerd baby machines with the little wheels and the big half helmets :). I'm a nice guy, but come on now, we all have our limits of acceptance. However, if I were to pick between an ass%$#l on a bike who dosen't know how to ride, and is placing others in danger - and a sweet and kind, giving, true hearted scooter rider :) - I'll give my nod to the scooter - wow, decisions, decisions, decisions.

I think this thread should have been called "Rules of Engagement" :)

jersy19

Reaction score
Visit site
quick question, what do all u think is a good way to wave at a bike behind u going the same way as u.

Blackblood

OMG Wheelies!
Reaction score
www.quayvipersmcc.com
quick question, what do all u think is a good way to wave at a bike behind u going the same way as u.

If the rider can see you checking your mirrors looking out for him/her then generally that should be enough.

You've seen me so you aren't going to hit the brakes,you know I may flick my indicator on and pass so you give me room. IMHO acknowledgement in this form is better than an actual hand off the bar wave.

Edit after reading the rest of the thread :p Two wheels are two wheels,we are all human and all share the same passion.On my way to work I meet a guy riding a GS1200 adventure,he goes out of his way to wave every single morning. I do too generally,I also tend to back off a bit from bikes with L or R plates (which brings me to a funny)

Riding home found myself behind a guy on a Honda 125 trail bike thing.I sat behind him just listening to his race akrapovic can rumbling until we got to traffic lights. He blipped the throttle (sexy) and I returned the sentiment,bearing in mind I'm on a 600.After a pause his right hand went up and the lights changed.

Fun times

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Its thier loss.
Generally my experince with bmw riders is that they are asses.
Of course there are the exceptions that make the rule.
I have met a few cool bmw riders and even rode with on the dragon the first time I went.
Most harley riders in groups of more than one are asses, but some of them are cool as hell.
Just never know man.

One thing I have found is that when I go to places in KY and I say hello to people and they pretend I dont exist. Generally they are from out of state. It sorta bothers me but then again how miserable is your life if you cant give another human being a hello? Oh well. One thing I know for sure is I have alot of friends and people constantly tell me they are glad to know me, and that I am very upbeat and happy. I just be happy and let the miserable ones be miserable.

I agree. If you already know you are loved what does someone elses lack of it have to do with you? You shouldn't base alerting that person to a safety hazard because they will like you or not. It should be based on the fact that you like yourself. You know who you are and that's the import part. To be truthful, you could be experiencing someone on a very bad time of their life and today you helped them by showing them that debri and you waved. You just don't know! You could be a hero! Then again Buddha might say you interfered with the Karma of the Universe sliding him on his way to Nirvana. LOL! You know something. I almost always wave. I wave to people behind dark smoked tint,that I can't see on a tour bus, I know that someone is receiving that wave and if no one is on that bus.(It drive's itself), I know I cared. It's like honesty. It's not how it looks on the outside. It's how it looks on the inside. You did a great job! I wave so much I have a hard time riding....:rockon: