turbo ???

trackspeed17

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 88 fz600 motor that i have put in a quad. was wondering if this motor would be able to hold some boost and live for a little while? I'm thinking on putting around 5-7 pounds of boost, but didnt know if the carbs can handle it? Also dont know if the motor would live very long. Any info would be helpful. and wondering if anyone has done it yet

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, turbo bugs aren't exactly uncommon, and they're almost always running carbs, so I see no reason why it couldn't be done. Like anything else, it'll just take time, tuning, and of course, $$$$. Some time in the distant future, I plan on boosting my TW200. Everyone says it can't be done, but I don't believe it for a second. :D

trackspeed17

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea i have no reason y it woukdnt work im more just askin if any one has done it or has seen it done and if so what they put through the motor meaning did they build it up or just left it stock. Also would like to know how they ran oil to the turbo cuz we r thinkin of taping into a oil gally in the block then runing a. Return line back into the pan but all the fabs we can do just was wondering if ima have to go in this alone and c if it blows up on me or if someone has tried already and can say its a bad idea

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Look up the Yamaha 650 Seca Turbo! A production bike with a single screw!

Although I have NOT looked up the specs on the bike mentioned above, the goal of turbo is force more air into the engine than atmospheric conditions will do on their own. In most all cases where turbos are used with weak or NO ECM support the engines compression ratio is a very low number!

Example: Turbo and Super Charged engines before computer controlled ignition advance and F/I map curves were introduced the C/R were in the range of 7.5:1 to 9.5:1. Boosting an engine with a static pressure of 12.2:1 will lead to detonation and destruction of the pistons! You will loose throttle response and likely top end power. At a minimum you would likely need an inter cooler as shoving those hot gases into a 12.2:1 C/R engine will kill it!

Do some reading and home work! It is a science or a huge waste of money if you just throw it together expecting it to be better than the stock engine. :eek:

trackspeed17

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank u for the info but I understand that this motor is a 10 to 1 comp motor and I would say it should hold upat 7 pounds I have done many cars from Honda 4 s to chevron v8 I just have never done a small bike like this wit four crabs and having it turn 13000 rpms so I guess ill try it and hell if i blow it up another motor is only 300 so I can try something different then that thank u every one

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, turbo bugs aren't exactly uncommon, and they're almost always running carbs, so I see no reason why it couldn't be done. Like anything else, it'll just take time, tuning, and of course, $$$$. Some time in the distant future, I plan on boosting my TW200. Everyone says it can't be done, but I don't believe it for a second. :D

Lucky! TW200s are so cool, I wish I had one. I read a long time ago about using an air pump off a car to supercharge a small engine, you should be able to rig it up on the TW, just need to figure out the blow-through carb setup.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Lucky! TW200s are so cool, I wish I had one. I read a long time ago about using an air pump off a car to supercharge a small engine, you should be able to rig it up on the TW, just need to figure out the blow-through carb setup.

Yep, that's the hard part, is there's dang near zero room to add anything onto a T'dub. You should get one BTW. Just go snag a used one for cheap! They're really fun, cheap to maintain(one quart of oil after all lol), and they can take quite a beating without worry. And who can resist that fat 180/80 on the rear?!