Turbo time. Seriously.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Those forks look beefy.

No clearance issues between chain route and the new swingarm I assume?

None what so ever. The only issue I'm having is the FZ6 wheel, with it's spacers and the R1 brake caliper bracket end up being a little narrower than the R1 swingarm's width. So either I need to figure out spacers or just get an R1 wheel (what I'll probably end up doing).

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
That's good news. I didn't think there would be, but just wanted make you hadn't missed something so obvious while you were busy doing the important stuff! Lol.

I really wish I could be there for its first flash up, and a dyno run.. It's going to be epic.

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
None what so ever. The only issue I'm having is the FZ6 wheel, with it's spacers and the R1 brake caliper bracket end up being a little narrower than the R1 swingarm's width. So either I need to figure out spacers or just get an R1 wheel (what I'll probably end up doing).

Maybe FZ1 wheel would work too?
I know I'd want a 190 tire for that power & torque.

crofz

Reaction score
Visit site

Please elaborate this...aren't the wheels of FZ6 and R1 of the same size?

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Please elaborate this...aren't the wheels of FZ6 and R1 of the same size?

Since the brakes on each bike are different, then I think the issue is less the size of the wheel/tire, and more and issue of properly spacing the brakes that he chose with the wheel that he chose.

Fredd

Reaction score
Visit site
I got myself a clutch surprise the other day, when I picked down the clutch it turned I've got a friction plate explosion! Just fishing the remaining pices in the pil pan!
ebyva8uv.jpg

Now I ordered a new kevlar race clutch kit since the original doesn't like wheeles! Maybe a race clutch like this could be interesting for ur project!?
Really price worthy as well! I could reply how it feels when the clutch kit is on its seat! =)
EBC 2004-2009 Yamaha FZ6 Clutch Kit

I must say Things starting to take some shape here, I'm impressed to take on a turbo project like this and im really curious to see it in alive when the turbo do the job! =))

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job Noodle! Keep up the great work. This is really a fun thread. :D

You've really broken new ground with the R1 subframe. I don't recall that being done before.

Any plans for a new paint job once the hard work is compete?

Oh, and I don't recall, but are you doing any work to the motor itself to accommodate the boost? Pistons, rods, etc.

mdfb42

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll also be ditching the Laser Quad exhaust and running an open dump since the exhaust will become a restriction and hinder.

Subscribed! This is a great thread to follow.

The item that stuck out to me was your above quote. Have you thought of selling it at all to help fund your rebuild? If so I may be interested :)

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Mate,

Wanted to ask... did you get your PLX Map sensor yet? I pull mine off my FZ6R, all work just put my bime back to stock. Let me know...

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely progress is being made. Slowly and deliberately.

What I've been finding is that every time I take something off or take something apart, I discover that some part has been worn out, dryrotted, rusting, or just generally needs some attention. I took my throttle bodies off, for instance, and found 4 dry rotted throttle body boots that were probably the source of a funky idle. I also found a frayed throttle cable, and another throttle cable that was on the cusp of fraying. Then I took the injectors off and found some gunk partially clogging the tip of one of them. I also found some mud dobber nests that I missed on my first cleanout. So yeah, it was probably a good thing I'm doing this now as the bike was sure to be a disaster in the near future if I didn't.

Right now I'm in the middle of rebuilding the R1 forks that I bought. I'm replacing the stanchions and powdercoating and cleaning up the lowers. I'm also powdercoating the caps, replacing all the seals, and generally giving them a once-over. I'll post a little update on that soon. I got the handlebars and the gauge cluster mounted on the top triple as well, but I haven't got any pictures for that yet. I'm taking this one step at a time, so progress is pretty slow, but hey, I've got all winter to finish!

Updated album!

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
So I was a little drunk a couple nights ago and apparently bought a set of R6 cams off ebay for $60, so I guess I'll be measuring and installing those after all. I'll post a guide for that when I'm done.

bombadillo

Reaction score
Visit site
DEFINITELY gonna be a sweet little sleeper project. It'd be cool to run an under pan or something to hide the turbo setup a bit so people don't see it first thing. I'd love to see you blow the fairings off of a gsx-r 750 and walk it on video too....... ;)

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
DEFINITELY gonna be a sweet little sleeper project. It'd be cool to run an under pan or something to hide the turbo setup a bit so people don't see it first thing. I'd love to see you blow the fairings off of a gsx-r 750 and walk it on video too....... ;)

The goal is to keep up with or beat an older literbike, and I think I should be able to do that. The turbo is going to be pretty well exposed, why put in all this work if I'm not showing it off a little?

So I did a couple minor things today. I welded on some steering stops to the lower triple tree and boogered up the threads on the stem in the process. Whoops! Currently seeking FZ6 lower triple tree to fix my error.

I also got a ton of parts for the R1 tail in (battery box, fasteners, etc) to start figuring out what I need to do there next.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Things are slowing down until I get a few more parts in. Here was the progress today, I decided to make a better solution for the stem fitment in the R1 lower triple tree. I turned that little piece on my lathe and I'll weld it to the new stem I'm getting since I messed up the threads on the top of this one. You can also see some of the reinforcing necessary on the R1 top triple to keep the handlebar risers rigid.

MsbTwcE.jpg

I wish I knew why my phone keeps taking blurry pictures, I think it's about time for a new one.