Turbo time. Seriously.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I've built a lot of turbo cars, I know my way around turbo sizing better than most. Right now there is a turbo LS1 swapped 240sx and a rear mount turbo CTS-V sitting in my stable :)

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I've built a lot of turbo cars, I know my way around turbo sizing better than most. Right now there is a turbo LS1 swapped 240sx and a rear mount turbo CTS-V sitting in my stable :)

Nice! I got a 97 eclipse 4g63T I gotta build if I can find the motivation to get up off my ass.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
An added pain point here aside from the oversize is the mass of the shaft and impellers - simply too heavy to spool and track or match what this engine is capable of.

And as stated, a turbo that big needs lots of oil. Hopefully this doesn't cost you the bottom end of the bike as its essentially a big oil leak.

Love to see it work tho!

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
ITT: people who think they know stuff about turbos lol

Seriously though, this turbo is really small. Plenty small for a 600. Being small it should spool up fine. And turbos use way less oil than you make it out to be.

Anyway, here is the turbo mounted up. I had to modify the water neck to get more clearance for the wastegate actuator rod.

QyBjSsG.jpg

Q9kZKRU.jpg

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a shame you couldn't do the rear mounted turbo like has been done with the new corvettes. It'd be a cleaner install, but there's no room, sadly.

I can't wait to see this thing running. Extended swingarm?

siebsey

Reaction score
Visit site

Seriously though, this turbo is really small. Plenty small for a 600. Being small it should spool up fine. And turbos use way less oil than you make it out to be.

Anyway, here is the turbo mounted up. I had to modify the water neck to get more clearance for the wastegate actuator rod.

QyBjSsG.jpg

Q9kZKRU.jpg

I think I'm going to

1394817052901.jpg

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a shame you couldn't do the rear mounted turbo like has been done with the new corvettes. It'd be a cleaner install, but there's no room, sadly.

I can't wait to see this thing running. Extended swingarm?

I did a rear mou t s475 on my CTS-V,but that wasn't the best option here honestly.

I'm probably going to switch to an r6 or r1 swingarm whenever the turbo is done. Not extended of course (ew).

The forks and tire have plenty of clearance.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a rear mou t s475 on my CTS-V,but that wasn't the best option here honestly.

I'm probably going to switch to an r6 or r1 swingarm whenever the turbo is done. Not extended of course (ew).

The forks and tire have plenty of clearance.

No doubt, space is definitely limited on a bike.

If it fits, it ships. Sometimes you just have to bend the box a little.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I am definitely following this build! Any plans for a BOV? It would be pretty sweet to hear this thing blow off 8 pounds of boost! It would turn my head more than a parade of models! :eek:

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a greddy type rs sitting around that I'm going to use. It should be loud enough with this big plenum. I might find something smaller though.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
People be like... DAT BIKE BE SNEEZING

If only I had the know how and equipment to force induct the 9. Has plenty of bottom end to spool a decent snail. Albeit a supercharger would be nasty!

Didn't we have a member s/c a fz6?

Last edited:

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

QyBjSsG.jpg

Q9kZKRU.jpg

Looking awesome!

I guess I'll join the 'think they know' crowd, but in the other direction. I'm no engineer, but your explanation for how the turbo should work sounds believable, right? It sounded like you were saying that at X motorcycle rpm you estimate you will have the same flux of air (the same volume per minute) hitting the turbo as when it's mounted to the car, so you figure that's when it spools up (assuming exhaust speed is roughly independent of rpm). Sounds legit to me.

If a guy say he knows and gives a reasonable explanation, make pop corn and watch!

motel6

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crap.

I know nothing about the technical details of this, but I know what a Turbo is...looks awesome!!!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
as far as room goes, i wouldnt be worried about the forks and wheel so much as the radiator. but im assuming you looked into that.

and for the swing i would try to run the R1 swing to get that wider 190 section under the bike.

have you thought about butterfly dumps for the exhaust? then when you run in less than ideal conditions the exhaust can choke up the flow and create a "rain mode" of sorts. then flip the dumps and have one BAMF when you desire.