Torque wrench calibration

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I am fairly certain my MAC torque wrench is out of spec and would like to have it calibrated. I took it into Sears and the individual helping me was a complete ******* and told me I needed to buy a new wrench and had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about having mine calibrated. That being said I hope I never have to go to Sears again, or at least not that particular one.

My torque wrench set has quite a bit of sentimental value to me because they belonged to my grandpa when he was a mechanic, even more so because he used them to work on his own bikes. I checked out another thread from '09 but they were all talking about going to Sears and after my experience I am not sure they are still offering calibration service. So my question- have any of you had your torque wrenches calibrated recently? If so, where did you go and how much did it cost? I found a few websites that offer this service, but I would really like some real feedback. Thanks :thumbup:

For the record, the wrench I am looking to calibrate is a 1/2'' drive click style

Last edited:

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
try it out on a bolt and see when it clicks.
maybe borrow a torque wrench that is accurate and use the rear axle bolt.

I just dont know anyone who has a torque wrench to borrow. Not sure if I trust the local auto parts stores "loner" wrenches either. What if their wrenches arent accurate, then I am in the same boat again! I would just like the peace of mind knowing that my torque wrench is in proper spec when I go to work on my bikes. I have some work planned for my CBR over the summer where proper torque is going to be crucial and I want to make sure I do it right, not to mention the work I have planned later for my FZ. I think my 1/2'' drive is older than me so its best to have it taken care of.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy this and you can calibrate your torque wrenches yourself:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-940759-Powerbuilt-Digital-Adaptor/dp/B0031QPJZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332906403&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Alltrade 940759 Powerbuilt Digital Torque Adaptor for 1/2-Inch Driver: Home Improvement[/ame]

I have one and it works as advertised.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The skills found at a calibration house will help you. Search for someone that calibrates instruments, scales, digital multi meters, pin gauges, torques wrenches etc.

Beyond that, call MAC and ask where to send it! I had My Snap-On T/W certified by Snapper! It wasn't unreasonable cost wise.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the replies guys! That calibration tool is really cool! Didn't even know such a device existed for consumers, especially at a reasonable price. I think I might buy one of these. FinalImpact and Ben_H: when you had your wrenches calibrated did they just give you a certificate stating how far off your wrench is or do they actually take it apart and make make some kind of adjustment so it was accurate again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I had mine calibrated few years ago. I have a 3/8" and 1/4" Snap-on. I gave it to the Snap-on guys and it took a week or two. Any MAC tool truck in your area? You can stop them on the side of the road sometime and they will help you. Maybe you can send it in?

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I know there is a Snap-On truck down the road from my parents house but a haven't seen a MAC around before. I am guessing the Snap-On guys probably wouldn't be able to help? I found a place here in Michigan that I could send it to but they wanted $120, which I thought was pretty steep. They are a professional calibration company for various instruments. http://www.precisioncalibration.com/calibration.html

Still it is less than I could buy this same wrench new, but $120 is much more than I would like to spend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had to get torque wrenches and digital linear gauges calibrated here at work. There's a local shop that does it for a pretty reasonable price. If you want to ship it, I'd suggest giving Caltronix in Rochester, NY a call.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Years ago I worked for AAMCO transmission. Mac, MatCo and Snap-on (flyOff) all came into the shop. Point - If google lets you down, stop by a shop, you'll get names of the people they like and deal with plus business cards as they throw them out there just so the guys turning wrenches will hand them out.

COST:
You might have to specify you want the "AS FOUND" condition and pay for too! Then getting it calibrated and paying for the certificate are two things. The paper cert will cost you while it its still getting the same calibration regardless. Be sure to ask as electronic records keeping is making this cheaper.

Otherwise the norm would be a test and calibration only. Hard parts are extra if worn but free if Failed (name brands at least).

Sounds like it has value to you so take care of it! No using it for a breaker bar!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
since nobody's said this yet, here goes. if you want to keep you wrench "in tune" for longer, de-tension it all the way when done using it.

and the people working at sears are usually tards, but Craftsman tools are guaranteed for life. that includes torque wrenches, so if you have one of those and it's outta spec, just go to your local sears and swap it for a good one, FREE OF CHARGE:rockon:

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow its so strange, NEVER has this come up in conversation for me before, and just 12 hours ago me and my buddies were talking about cheap tools at Harbor Freight and this came up in conversation that my buddy's torque wrench may need to be calibrated.

That's like the time I was cleaning under my refridgerator, and I got a phone call and it was my mother and I said what are you up to, and she goes "cleaning under my refridgerator". I mean how often does somebody clean behind their fridge? Once every 5 years? 10?

Anyway there's all sorts of nifty gizmos on eBay, just type it in. Remember you get what you pay for though 99% of the time.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One tool in your collection you should not cheap out on is a torque wrench. I bought a Harbor Freight micrometer click wrench. I got what I paid for and screwed up threads on two occasions, one of which cost a trip to a machine shop to get the part rethreaded. Total junk in my experience, but your milage may vary.

I shelled out $120 and got a Precision Instruments split-beam click wrench and it's really nice. You get a good solid click when the force releases. There's no de-tensioning after using it and adjusting it is a breeze because it's not under load.

http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/C.php

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One tool in your collection you should not cheap out on is a torque wrench. I bought a Harbor Freight micrometer click wrench. I got what I paid for and screwed up threads on two occasions, one of which cost a trip to a machine shop to get the part rethreaded. Total junk in my experience, but your milage may vary.

I shelled out $120 and got a Precision Instruments split-beam click wrench and it's really nice. You get a good solid click when the force releases. There's no de-tensioning after using it and adjusting it is a breeze because it's not under load.

http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/C.php

I have three:
1/4" drive Mac IIRC
3/8" drive Snap-On
1/2" drive Snap-On

And a couple of beam jobbers from the past which I trust more than $40 dollar HF unit if used correctly. Again - they are not breaker bars and should not be used as such. Please read the directions as not all of them Torque accurately in both directions.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
here's my thoughts on Harbor Freight (of the 2 ive been to): if a hardware store doesnt sell nails or screws (just plain nails/screws in a box) NEVER GO BACK. and +100 to not cheaping out on torque wrenches, and sockets are also on the pay for them once list.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
here's my thoughts on Harbor Freight (of the 2 ive been to): if a hardware store doesnt sell nails or screws (just plain nails/screws in a box) NEVER GO BACK. and +100 to not cheaping out on torque wrenches, and sockets are also on the pay for them once list.

1) Harbor Freight isn't a hardware store.
2) HF has it's place. Need a tool for a one-time job? It's perfect for that. If all you need is a tool that's "good enough", that's where they fit in.