Top 10 ways to get noticed on a motorcycle

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the ways this article mentions is riding with the high beam on. While debatably a good idea in the daytime, night is another matter. You may feel you're safer cuz you'll be noticed, but what good does it do if you blind the cager coming at you and s/he crosses the center line because they can't see?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the ways this article mentions is riding with the high beam on. While debatably a good idea in the daytime, night is another matter. You may feel you're safer cuz you'll be noticed, but what good does it do if you blind the cager coming at you and s/he crosses the center line because they can't see?

During the day I have my HB on, night time, no, agreed fully with you there. :thumbup:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
71fca70015ed703ea98532ec65bf4278.jpg

Generally does the job.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
I would rather not be noticed. My job as a rider is to make them miss. The PC idea that cagers run us over by accident because they don't see us is BS.
Psychopaths can get a DL just like anybody else. There are no tests to find those who don't consider you or I human and get a thrill from killing us. Now what are they going to tell the Cop? Officer, I was having a bad day so I ran the a$$hole on the motorcycle over. Now I feel much better.'
Right. No, he says; 'Officer, I didn't see him'. How can anybody prove other wise? I have had too many look me right in the eye then try to kill me to want ANYONE getting a better target solution.
It is my responsibility as a rider to not give the fool a chance to kill me. My tools are vector changes, size and awareness. That and good riding habits have kept me alive for almost 50 years of riding. When you throw your leg over your trusty steed, remember there are those out there on the road that would enjoy killing you. Don't give them the chance.:eek:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow... that's a lot of, um.... OK. I'd venture the ratio of clueless to beligerent is like 100:1, and the beligerent ones don't need headlight waggers, loud horns, or bright colors to want to wax a biker. Conversely, I'd also say that a vast majority of the clueless ones will remain utterly clueless unless you really hit them with something non-visual, because they're ACTIVELY not paying a bit of attention... they don't not see you, they don't see ANYTHING. Either way, I think I'll increase my odds of being noticed, because it only takes one to end ya.

I had an old fart make a left off a side street right in front of me once. I locked up the rear wheel, almost highsided, and spent the next 1/4 mile to the next light being road-ragey, weaving behind him, laying on the horn, and flicking my brights. Dude never noticed a single thing. He sat there, looking straight ahead, completely oblivious to having almost killed someone.

I'm not driving around with my brights on all day, though. I know it annoys me plenty to be blinded by the folks (in cars) who do, apparently clueless to the fact that even though they can't see any better, their brights really are aimed at everyone else's eyes. I might notice you, but it ain't going to be in any positive way. I'm not going to go commiting vehicular homicide over it, but it doesn't make me want to do you any favors, either.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Disagree with high beams on in daylight. Studies have shown it is harder for traffic to judge your distance and speed because of your high beam bright light, not to mention it's rude to other drivers on the road.
Try adding some small spot lights down on the forks to get you noticed.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Disagree with high beams on in daylight. Studies have shown it is harder for traffic to judge your distance and speed because of your high beam bright light, not to mention it's rude to other drivers on the road.
Try adding some small spot lights down on the forks to get you noticed.

The only time I disagree would be when riding curvy back roads that have driveways along them. The high beam does get the attention of the inattentive soccer mom about to pull out of her driveway with coffee in her hand. A bright light makes even half awake drivers look twice. In traffic I would never run brights.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The only time I disagree would be when riding curvy back roads that have driveways along them. The high beam does get the attention of the inattentive soccer mom about to pull out of her driveway with coffee in her hand. A bright light makes even half awake drivers look twice. In traffic I would never run brights.
You got me to thinking and I use the high beam when riding the dualsport in the woods to help being seen through the trees.

blackONblack

Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes. This article doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, and the advice ranges from good to terrible. Examples:

"For example, moving towards the left portion of the left lane as you approach an intersection will tell others that you plan on turning left. You can probably guess what moving to the right side of the right lane while approaching an intersection will telegraph."

- This is completely counter to what they teach in MSP classes. You would want to stay to the left prior to a right turn, both to protect your lane and to give yourself a less sharp turn. How about indicating you are going to turn using the expected hand signals/lighted turn signals??

And what the heck is up with #6? It seems to be written as a joke/satire, but the rest of the article is serious, barring #1.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You got me to thinking and I use the high beam when riding the dualsport in the woods to help being seen through the trees.

haha, yea you gotta make sure those deer and bears can see you in the woods! :thumbup:

^^ ahw yes, now the dear can plot an easy course to ram you just like out in the open! :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To BlackonBlacks point; one point says to wear camo colors while another says hi vis and yet another nude. The only worthy comment being, "wear colors that are not normally found in nature".
-> Net gain from this was near zero.

92Bit

Reaction score
Visit site
To BlackonBlacks point; one point says to wear camo colors while another says hi vis and yet another nude. The only worthy comment being, "wear colors that are not normally found in nature".
-> Net gain from this was near zero.

Yikes. This article doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, and the advice ranges from good to terrible...

At the end of the second paragraph of the article it says,
"For fun, we’ve tossed in a couple red herrings. So, pay attention, and remember, there is a test later – out on the mean streets."​
It's pretty sad that they never actually mention which ones are a joke and which ones are serious.:spank:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I was driving this weekend on the interstate and came across 2 Harley riders, One in all black leather on a black bike and one with a high viz vest on. I noticed the bikers MUCH sooner because of the guy in the high viz vest. I would never ride in traffic dressed in all black...why would you want to match the asphalt?

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I was driving this weekend on the interstate and came across 2 Harley riders, One in all black leather on a black bike and one with a high viz vest on. I noticed the bikers MUCH sooner because of the guy in the high viz vest. I would never ride in traffic dressed in all black...why would you want to match the asphalt?

It might get you less noticed by the LEOs. I never rely on other people seeing me. I keep my head on a swivel.

This space intentionally left blank.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Ride like your INVISABLE!!!

And always have an "OUT", just in case..

+1

My last two near misses were from people that wanted to change lanes into the space I was currently occupying. They never turned their head to see if the lane was clear. I think one was on a cell phone. The other was just driving, looking straight ahead.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1

My last two near misses were from people that wanted to change lanes into the space I was currently occupying. They never turned their head to see if the lane was clear. I think one was on a cell phone. The other was just driving, looking straight ahead.

That's probably 75% of the time what happens to me.

I either stay back and give them room, or get AHEAD of them(traffic permitting), so I'm NOT in their blind spot (or are busy on the phone, head up a.., etc).

I prefer to stay ahead of the "pack" if possible.

drumbum

Reaction score
Visit site
+1

Totally agree. You can be naked in bright red body paint with lights brighter than the sun. if the driver never even turns to look it's not going to help much. I try to stay out of blinds spots and id also consider next to the driver window at eye level a blind spot -.- ridiculous I know, but so many times people have moved into my lane as I was RIGHT next to their window thinking I'd be impossible to miss (turns out only visibly I was, physically impossible NOT to miss haha). That's now a no zone