Tire and swing arm measurements please

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Can someone (or a few someones would be even better) measure the distance from the widest part of the tire to the outside of the swing are for me? As far as alignments go, I believe the string method would probably be the best that I've heard so far, but I was curious as to how accurate this would be.

I've included some pics for reference. There is about a 1/2 inch difference between the right and left side on my bike, and looking at the axle it is off a bit. I have not tried to align it, the dealer put the tire on for me about 8000 miles ago and that was the last time the rear wheel was off. I was noticing the tire was wearing more on one side then the other, which caused me to look at the wheel alignment. If the wheel is misaligned in the direction I believe it to be, this would account for the tire wear as it's worn more on the left side and the wheel may be turned a bit to the right.

Thanks to anyone who replies with pics!!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
1 7/8" on the right and 2 1/4" on the left measuring from the widest part of the tire to the outside of the swingarm. This is from an 09 so it has a different swingarm than yours.

One thing to keep in mind is you will have a bigger measurement on the left side because the chain and sprocket need more room. I don't know if yours has marks on the swingarm for adjustment, but you can measure from the center of the axle to the end of the swingarm to see if they are both even which they should be.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
That method would assume that all rims and swings arms are identical and I'm not so certain that is true.

I have seen that as the oil goes off the chain, it often leaves a pretty clear pattern where it makes contact. http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-t...ear-wheel.html

If I have time when I return I'll see if I can get you number from an 08.

Thanks man. I wasn't really asking what the measurements were, just wanted to see the difference between sides. I read that thread a while back. From what I can tell, my chain has no wear patterns like that at all. I lube every 500 miles or so and look at it every time I lube it. The rollers seems to be making good contact on the sprockets, which is why I really didn't expect to see the wheel out of alignment. Hell, maybe I'm just heavier on my left side :)

1 7/8" on the right and 2 1/4" on the left measuring from the widest part of the tire to the outside of the swingarm. This is from an 09 so it has a different swingarm than yours.

One thing to keep in mind is you will have a bigger measurement on the left side because the chain and sprocket need more room. I don't know if yours has marks on the swingarm for adjustment, but you can measure from the center of the axle to the end of the swingarm to see if they are both even which they should be.

Thanks for the measurements. I didn't think about measuring from the axle back, I might try that. I'd like to get a picture of a swingarm not attached to the bike. If the wheel is off center, then the string alignment thing shouldn't work, but if the swingarm is shaped differently on one side then that would make sense. I'm gonna go measure the distance from the wheel to the swingarm long the axle and see if there is a difference there. The chain goes around the swingarm, so you shouldn't need more room for that. Unless you make room for the sprocket. But then again we have a brake rotor on the other side..

Think I may just be overexamining this whole thing :rolleyes:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For the axle to swing arm pivot measurements, try to find some cones that fit into the open holes to help you center it. If you can't you'll have to measure the hole and divide it in half then add or subtract the difference. Its a good method but doesn't easily work on Hollow tubes until you do the math.

The good news is when you hit the sweet spot, you can pull the wheel off/on as you wish and not mess with the adjustments (on the 07 - 09) at least.

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
For the axle to swing arm pivot measurements, try to find some cones that fit into the open holes to help you center it. If you can't you'll have to measure the hole and divide it in half then add or subtract the difference. Its a good method but doesn't easily work on Hollow tubes until you do the math.

The good news is when you hit the sweet spot, you can pull the wheel off/on as you wish and not mess with the adjustments (on the 07 - 09) at least.

There is a big washer on either side of the axle. I just measured from the back of the washer to the rear of the swingarm and came up with a little more then 1/16 inch difference with the wheel toe'd to the right. I'm going to try the string method in the next couple weeks. I have another tire for the rear, so I'll check it all when I have it replaced.

BTW, how far off was you rear alignment when you chain looked like the pics in that thread you linked to?

Last edited: