Time to Move On...

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to drop a quick thanks for all of the help & info the users of this forum provided over the past 1.5 years- it has definitely been what a newbie rider & new FZ6 owner needed. Yesterday, however, there was a change in the stable, and the FZ6 moved out.

I had a big 3-day weekend triangle planned, starting from Houston to Austin on Friday, then through the Hill Country to San Antonio on Saturday, & finally back home today. Arriving early in Austin, I stopped by a bike dealer & found a nice machine on their floor... well, they not only took my offer, but gave me a good trade-in on my FZ6 (2 yrs old, 18k miles), and I left Austin yesterday on a brand new Triumph Sprint. As much as I like the new bike (and there are more & more things to like as I break it in, at 750 miles already), there are things I will definitely miss about the FZ6. The FZ was so competent at EVERYTHING!

One last item before signing off the forum: I can clean out my one & only "spare" item in the garage: if anyone needs a stock clear 07 Yamaha wind screen (I think it fits 08 & 09, too), PM me and it is yours for the cost of shipping from Houston.

Be safe, have fun.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new purchase.

Ya don't have to leave here though. Stay on, let us know what the Sprint is like, shoot the breeze... etc.

Hope the new bike treats you well.

:rockon:

+1, no need to leave, we have a lot of members who have gotten different bikes and still are very active on this forum.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the Sprint! Nice ride!

Yes, no need to leave at all. We have plenty of members not on an FZ6, myself included now. It's all about two wheels here! While we cannot help with Sprint mods and technical stuff, we can certainly entertain you and keep up with a virtual social life. :thumbup:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I work on a GTO forum and we have a couple Cobra members that we treat just fine, no need to leave here. And the Triumph Sprint is a great bike. Stick around, it isn't as if you left us for a Harley :)

(I'm a complete noob here, dont' take anything I say seriously appart from great bike man, stick around.)

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i love the sprint and have thought about adding it to my garage in ADDITION to the FZ :p (im no traitor!! :D )

but I would LOVE to hear your ongoing experiences with the sprint and how it stacks up to the FZ. kind of like a long-term ownership review of one vs. the other that they do in magazines.

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. The new Sprint is really nice, so far. I have only done 750 miles in the first 2 days, so I am still in the break-in period, but it is cool. Noticed so far:
1. Torque. Everywhere & anywhere. Wow, and wheee!
2. The seating position is not as upright, but it isn't too radical & didn't hurt after a pair of 320+ mile days. Saddle is about the same as the FZ6 stock seat.
3. The hard luggage is awesome. I always ran the FZ with a tankbag & tailbag, but was worried about security, and they ended up scratching the tank & grab rails (on & off 2x per day). I don't have that problem with the new bike's hard luggage. Of course, I could have bought panniers for the FZ, but I just didn't think it looked as good.
4. Wind protection is comperable to the FZ6 stock screen. I am 6'1", and the wind hit my upper chest & shoulders the same as the FZ6, before I put the Puig double-bubble on it. This was scientifically researched, of course, based on bug splatter patterns on my jacket after a dawn ride through some farm country...
5. Protection on hands is not as good as FZ6. Those "eyebrows" above the headlights really work on the FZ6, to protect your hands. I discovered this after a quick rainstorm coming home yesterday.
6. I HAVE 2 WORKING HEADLIGHTS ON LOW BEAM... WITHOUT ANY MODS!

Off to do more, um, "research"...

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
You have to upload it using the "Attachment" button, or host it on a site and then use the "Insert Image" button.

Paradisio

Tries to keep up
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats dude, I actually went from a Sprint 955 to the fz6, got tired of the flipping expensive parts and service. But they are honestly awesome bikes. I'm probablly one of the few people that actually went down from a litre bike to a 600 :)

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
She's beautiful. I would advice almost anyone to repaint their bike in blue in order to gain the additional "50 blue-hp" but I think your bike actually looks amazing in red! :drool::drool:

Congrats and happy researching :D

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice upgrade. I too went to a Triumph from the FZ6, but went to a Street Triple R. Incredible bikes from Triumph and I haven't regretted the purchase since. Stick around here though, it's a nice little society we have here.