The FZ6 Pony Express - route & riders & comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
OK.. Looks like we are set.

I will pm my cell # and email address to you so we can get in touch Sat. and make sure everything is a go. Just hope rain holds out cause I do not want to ride all the way in the rain. I ordered a new pair of rain pants as my others failed in a downpour last week but not sure they will be here by the weekend.

Krid80 ... I will text you tomorrow if I don't forget and we can arrange a meeting time to pass off the bag.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
OK.. Looks like we are set.

I will pm my cell # and email address to you so we can get in touch Sat. and make sure everything is a go. Just hope rain holds out cause I do not want to ride all the way in the rain. I ordered a new pair of rain pants as my others failed in a downpour last week but not sure they will be here by the weekend.

Krid80 ... I will text you tomorrow if I don't forget and we can arrange a meeting time to pass off the bag.

let me know if my proposed schedule adjustment will work.

Thanks, stryken

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I'm now out as I'm no longer on the FZ6... can the wife carry it on the FZ6R though if it comes back East?

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I'm now out as I'm no longer on the FZ6... can the wife carry it on the FZ6R though if it comes back East?

Sure on the return route....the bag I think will go to Hawaii after it hits California. There is a rider on the big island that wants to take it around the place.

Anyway, take plenty of pictures along the way for others to enjoy.

Fred

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Ready to roll, will be leaving in about an hour and a half to New Harmony. Got a GSXR friend that is going to meet up and ride with me so that will make the trip more enjoyable. I think we will be ahead of the rain when we leave but we may run into it on our way back. Be safe shaggy will see you there at 2c / 3e!:thumbup:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Well the bag made it to Missouri, nice ride and NO RAIN.:cheer: Will post more later right now I am too tired and hungry. Did you make it back Shaggy?

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
The route I ended up taking was different then what I posted earlier I was trying to find a more interesting ride. Apparently they built Illinois out of squares as I found very few curves on my trip. Even zooming into some of their rural streets looked like I was looking at graph paper.:( Still had a nice enjoyable and rain free trip, here is the route I ended up taking. Also a few pics, sorry we just didn't take many bag pics but I am hoping that we will get some good ones when I give the bag to KRID80. I have to get in touch with him an see if he is going to be around this weekend for a hand off, I think he is gonna ride his leg in a couple weeks. The last photo is Mark (shaggy) and my GSXR pal that kept me company on my TRON style ride to New Harmony. That white building is the visitor center, really stands out in this old town. Oh, one more thing, I am a short guy but in my defense Mark is as the old timers say "A tall glass of water". Just glad I didn't have to wrestle for the bag:D JK , Mark is a nice guy and I hope to possibly see you at the 2010 Dragon meet if I can swing it next year.

FZ6 Pony Express - stryken's route - Google Maps

Last edited:

Maycyn

Reaction score
Visit site
It's so exciting to see the bag traveling successfully across the US. I'm proud to have been involved and would love to see the bag again if it ever makes it way across the northern states and back east again as some people mentioned. Keep it going guys :rockon:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
It's so exciting to see the bag traveling successfully across the US. I'm proud to have been involved and would love to see the bag again if it ever makes it way across the northern states and back east again as some people mentioned. Keep it going guys :rockon:

I am picking up the Pony Express bag in Dallas on the weekend of July 18. From there, I will ride the heat and wind furnace motorcycle highway known as north Texas. I will cruise into the New Mexico to drop off the bagster to another FZ owner. I am also very jubilant about how each of the riders have coordinated the meeting and transitions very smoothly. It has gone very smoothly.

Somewhere down the road, it would be neat to have you take the bag to Maine again. Hey, have you posted your ongoing US summer travels on the FZ in the other sections? I can't wait to see what kind of pictures you have taken.

Right now, I am located at 39.5182, -106.6545...doing a wee bit of dual sporting this weekend.

Safe travels,

Fred

Last edited:

Maycyn

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh, you'll be taking the bag into one of my favorite states that we traveled through. I wish I'd had more time in New Mexico.

...Somewhere down the road, it would be neat to have you take the bag to Maine again. Hey, have you posted your ongoing US summer travels on the FZ in the other sections? I can't wait to see what kind of pictures you have taken....
The write-up for my trip is here http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...aine-california-back-warning-image-heavy.html

I believe I saw someone mention riding the bag around Hawaii...Has there been any interest in possibly taking it up to Canada from Maine and then across to Alaska? Do you we have interested people in Alaska? Just curious. :D

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
New Mexico is absolutely beautiful! I can't believe how fast the bag has travelled across the country so far. If it comes back this way I would be willing to ride again and bring it north - (unless it goes to Canada?).

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh, you'll be taking the bag into one of my favorite states that we traveled through. I wish I'd had more time in New Mexico.

The write-up for my trip is here http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...aine-california-back-warning-image-heavy.html

I believe I saw someone mention riding the bag around Hawaii...Has there been any interest in possibly taking it up to Canada from Maine and then across to Alaska? Do you we have interested people in Alaska? Just curious. :D

I checked out your ride report. I was very impressed, especially since it was on a stock seat and the short windshield. In the western US, you can really get wind-blasted and feel totally drained at the end of he day.

I think getting a series of connector ride volunteers to Alaska might be tough and if we do the north route of the US later, perhaps we can have riders who can go further than usual distance to cover the large gaps of states.

Have you and Miss Have2BeFree considered taking the bag to Prudhoe Bay in Alaska? Where there is a will, there is a way
party0011.gif

Is there a web site with a map of riders registered on this site (i.e. Google mash-up?)

Ride like the wind.

Fred

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
The last photo is Mark (shaggy) and my GSXR pal that kept me company on my TRON style ride to New Harmony. That white building is the visitor center, really stands out in this old town.]

Is that building part of the New Harmony "utopian" social experiment in communal living by Robert Owens in the mid 19 th. century? I had not heard of New Harmony since American history classes from a LONG time ago.

Great ride and thanks for the effort in the Pony Express cause. The route looks like it had ample turns to show your Gixxer friend that the FZ6 can hold it's own
rockon.gif

Rider Free

Fred

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
The route looks like it had ample turns to show your Gixxer friend that the FZ6 can hold it's own :rockon:

Rider Free

Fred

Yeah.. looks that way doesn't it, but unfortunately not. Nothing like coming around a corner and seeing straight and flat road disappear into the heat haze God only knows how far ahead:(. The FZ did get to show its comfort attributes however as my friend got uncomfortable much quicker than I on the trip. He did look at my back tire last week though and mention that I was really leaning that thing over. I have only about 1/8 strips left on both sides and his has somewhat more.:D I am just so happy I got this bike and not some of the other "one function only" type bikes out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.