The FZ6 Pony Express - route & riders & comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep I am picking up the NM leg. I can take it into CO/AZ, maybe UT. Cali would be far, I need to be there and back in 2.5 days. If we could get someone to meet up in Flagstaff or thereabouts, maybe Phoenix, they could carry it west some more.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think your concern about the Texas police is a bit overdone. There are rogue police in most states, but most U.S. law enforcement work within strong ethical boundaries.

You have not been to Mexico. :)

Fred
LOL....NOPE!!....I want go back to Mexico either!!:D:rockon: P.S. I dont have a problem with Oklahoma or Arkansas...LOL [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ecE1UML1q8[/ame]

Last edited:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL....NOPE!!....I want go back to Mexico either!!:D:rockon: P.S. I dont have a problem with Oklahoma or Arkansas...LOL YouTube - Waylon Jennings - I`ve Always Been Crazy

It is Buddy Holly's former bass player...I bet he was glad he did not get on the airplane with him (in Texas).

Maybe you can join the other Pony Express rider when he zips through Louisiana. Hey at least in Texas we did not have a Huey Long. :)

Fred

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
maybe i could catch the bag on its way back,or we could send it back around again till we hit every state with it!!:thumbup::D

I think I am going to mail the bag to Hawaii when it reaches California. There is a fellow FZ6 rider there who offered to take it around the big island. I think he might include a large bag of Kona black coffee for sampling inside the FZ6 bag.

Fred

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I think if you reach Utah and link up with scottsst that would be great. Scott, depending on his FZ6 endurance, could ride it into Nevada or California over a weekend ride, where several FZ6 volunteers could take it across the Nev/Cali state lines.

From where you live in New Mexico to around Provo, Utah etc. it is under 600 miles.

Fred

Yep I am picking up the NM leg. I can take it into CO/AZ, maybe UT. Cali would be far, I need to be there and back in 2.5 days. If we could get someone to meet up in Flagstaff or thereabouts, maybe Phoenix, they could carry it west some more.

FZ6 Pony Express Committed Riders highlighted riders could continue to take the route west.

afpreppie04 - New Mexico
agmom98 - UT in May, IN an surrounding states in June, TN and surrounding states in July
ANLR21 - I'm in, can help with PA/DE/NJ
ant_mb - I'm available for NJ, Eastern PA and some of DE.
CCHOUSEKY - help Shaggy out with the Kentucky leg.
chuckfz6ryder - Massachusetts
chunkygoat - I would so be in. I'm in eastern pa so i could cover anywhere from PA to delaware, jersey, new york, and or maryland.
dark_isz - North Carolina
doc_simple - Oregon
Donnie869 - I could help "opds9091" with Florida.
Gosling1 - I can also do some in the Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi area.
gpd211 - southern half of ohio and indiana (southern half)
Have2BeFree - upstate NY to VT/NH/PA/MA/NJ
krid80 - I could go to the Illinois Indiana border or the Illinois/Kentucky or Missouri/Arkansas or etc.
MarinaFazer - Southern California (Los angeles to santa barbara or san luis obispo)
mglowe - I will gladly do Iowa and Missouri to start with.
mpb218 - Eastern CT here, I could get any state around me, RI is close.
Norm - NE MA
oogie - Ga.,Tenn.,Al., Fl.
opds9091 - Florida
RaVzTeR - I would like to offer my services, wouldn't mind covering any of the Southern PA, MD, DC, NOVA.
rider1a - I can take the bag from somewhere in Texas to New Mexico.
scottsst - Oregon or Idaho/Utah/Washington. Now can only do Oregon portion.
shaggystyle - Southern Indiana through KY
shreveport1 - I could pick it up somewhere around Vicksburg Missisippi,and bring across Louisiana to Waskom Tx. Very scared of Texas!
teeter - I'm still up or covering Virginia.
teeter - VA, WV
Wanderingpie - Oregon

Last edited:

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
PM sent

I don't think I will be able to make it all the way down to four corners . I would really like to have the bag travel with me at some point . In order for that to happen the bag would have to come up the coast farther like Oregon or Washington. I don't think thats in the cards ?

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It is Buddy Holly's former bass player...I bet he was glad he did not get on the airplane with him (in Texas).

Maybe you can join the other Pony Express rider when he zips through Louisiana. Hey at least in Texas we did not have a Huey Long. :)

Fred
Hey Now!! I was born at the Huey P. Long Hospital in Pineville,La. :spank::rockon:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I can go further than 4 corners, thats just as far into Utah as I've been before. Oregon would be a little out of the cards though I think:(

Once I get the bag coming from the eatern part of the US, I can place it on hold until a new set of riders volunteer from the four corners to the California coast. It is really only around 700 miles from FC to the Pacific coast on secondary roads.

Fred

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
PM sent

I don't think I will be able to make it all the way down to four corners . I would really like to have the bag travel with me at some point . In order for that to happen the bag would have to come up the coast farther like Oregon or Washington. I don't think thats in the cards ?

Hey, It's totally possible to make up to you. I can change my thing to be San Diego to San Luis Obispo...that's a lot of miles so it'll take me a bit, but do-able. Once it gets to norcal it shouldn't be hard to get it up to you!

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm at the Dragon right now. I dont' have a lot of internet access so I'm not ignoring you, just haven't had a chance to get on the forum until now. We can figure something out when I get back to Louisville on Tuesday. I'd be willing to go as far as a days ride to drop the bag off (~400 miles). I'm probably going to need a couple days of recoup time first, so I won't be moving it at all next week unless someone is on a short time frame.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm at the Dragon right now. I dont' have a lot of internet access so I'm not ignoring you, just haven't had a chance to get on the forum until now. We can figure something out when I get back to Louisville on Tuesday. I'd be willing to go as far as a days ride to drop the bag off (~400 miles). I'm probably going to need a couple days of recoup time first, so I won't be moving it at all next week unless someone is on a short time frame.

I might be able to help, let me get in touch with krid80 and see what we can work out, we are only 25 miles from each other. I might be able to meet you somewhere on the Illinois/Indiana border if no one else is available and that would work for you? What time frame are you thinking , could you do approx 150 miles on Sunday the 14th? Don't count me in just yet I have to check my and my wife's schedule before I promise anything but I would like to contribute at least this small portion if I can. I will PM krid80 now.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I might be able to help, let me get in touch with krid80 and see what we can work out, we are only 25 miles from each other. I might be able to meet you somewhere on the Illinois/Indiana border if no one else is available and that would work for you? What time frame are you thinking , could you do approx 150 miles on Sunday the 14th? Don't count me in just yet I have to check my and my wife's schedule before I promise anything but I would like to contribute at least this small portion if I can. I will PM krid80 now.

that would be great for me, stryken! The only pitfall is I would have to skip the weekend of the 20th and 21st. 6th anniversary for me and the wife. Other than that, I am wide open.

Hope you are loving your bike, Stryken. How many miles have you got on it since you traded in your ninja 500?

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I know what you mean about the weekend of the 20 and 21st, it will be busy for me as well with Fathers Day and all. The next weekend will be busy with my birthday and my wife and I celebrating our anniversary(our 15th). That is why I am hoping shaggy feels up to a little ride Sunday the 14th. If I can get the bag Sunday I can bring it to Surdyke any time next week and pass it to you. Better yet we could meet up and ride to the Arch or something and take some pictures of the bag for the forum.

As far as the FZ6 goes I am loving it, defiantly the right choice for all the different types of riding I want to do.:thumbup: Like member jtarkany said on another thread "The FZ is not exceptional at anything, but really good at just about everything." I have put 1500 miles on it since March and it would be more if it would stop raining for more than two days in a row. I got caught in that storm we had last week, was kinda fun, never got caught in a outright downpour before but I hate the bike clean-up after riding in the rain.

Last edited:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site

That would be fantatic....I wasn't too excited about the 5 hour ride to St Louis. Only potential hitch is that I need to get a new rear tire mounted first (not much rubber left after getting home from the dragon). Should be able to get it taken care of by Sunday though. Got a meeting spot/time in mind?

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Shaggy, I am thinking that the town of New Harmony, IN looks like a nice place to make the hand-off. It looks to be a good halfway point between you and I and looks like a neat little town to take a look at. We will both have good secondary roads to ride and a quick jump to the interstate if we need to just make some time. There is a visitors center( New Harmony Indiana Travel and Attraction Guide) which looks way out of place for this old town that would be a great place to meet up and take a ride around the old town. I was thinking maybe we could meet up around 2pm CST / 3pm Eastern (your time correct?) on Sunday the 14th and that would give us time to make it home with a little daylight remaining. I am not trying to dominate the planning here, just throwing out a plan to start with, see anything you wanna change just throw it out there.

My planned route...
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=103675979226620514691.00046be2fcf7c282c3410

Last edited:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds great to me, I'll be there. Getting new rubber tomorrow so I will definitely be good to go tomorrow.

Figured it was time to post up the pics from the handoff at Deals Gap. Chris was a great guy, we had a blast all weekend. We did the hand off on top of the Cherohala Skyway in the middle of a cloud. On the way out Monday I took a couple additional pics from the Tree of Shame and the overlook on top of the dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.