The FZ6 Pony Express - route & riders & comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZ6drummer

Reaction score
Visit site
i think i may be a little late on this, but if the bag makes its way back to florida, i can give it a tour of the place, and then take it to the next state :)

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I'll be happy to pick it up from someone at the airport and give it a grand tour around England before taking it to someone else on the continent.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ is up and running again (fenderless until next week though:() so I can start planning days and such whenever you're ready.

Getting the scheduling ready...it looks like late August is the best time-slot. Does either August 30 or 31 work for you? We can meet in Clovis or perhaps Roswell, New Mexico. Roswell could be fun since we can use the UFO theme as a background with the Pony Express bag.

My trip in New Mexico will consist of this route.

roswell_new_mexico_map.jpg

If you or others want to ride part of the New Mexico portion together, let me know. On the above map, ANY area in green indicates mountains, copious amounts of trees = motorcycle bliss and most areas shaded in white or pink are rather boring and flat.

Fred

Last edited:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I think Roswell would make for a good trade-off spot. I've been through it a couple times but never on the bike, and never got to actually stop and look at it. There is really nothing in Clovis except the Air Force Base. I'll have to make sure nothing is going on but I usually have Mondays free so if thats the case the 31st would work.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I think Roswell would make for a good trade-off spot. I've been through it a couple times but never on the bike, and never got to actually stop and look at it. There is really nothing in Clovis except the Air Force Base. I'll have to make sure nothing is going on but I usually have Mondays free so if thats the case the 31st would work.

Unless I hear otherwise, let's plan for Roswell on the 31st. We can select a meeting location when the time draws near.

I hope I don't get stopped by an alien on that lonely stretch of the highway in eastern New Mexico.

Fred

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless I hear otherwise, let's plan for Roswell on the 31st. We can select a meeting location when the time draws near.

I hope I don't get stopped by an alien on that lonely stretch of the highway in eastern New Mexico.

Fred

Just watch out for those probes, Fred!!! :eek:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site

I am looking forward to meeting in Roswell on August 31 or Monday. Let's shoot for an early afternoon. We can select a specific location in a few weeks.

Hey, what are your plans with the bag? Are you still heading to Utah? It might be good to line-up another rider to hand-off to unless you plan to hit California. I highlighted the possible connecting volunteer riders once your leg is concluded.

FZ6 Pony Express Committed Riders

afpreppie04 - New Mexico
agmom98 - UT in May, IN an surrounding states in June, TN and surrounding states in July
ANLR21 - I'm in, can help with PA/DE/NJ
ant_mb - I'm available for NJ, Eastern PA and some of DE.
CCHOUSEKY - help Shaggy out with the Kentucky leg.
chuckfz6ryder - Massachusetts
chunkygoat - I would so be in. I'm in eastern pa so i could cover anywhere from PA to delaware, jersey, new york, and or maryland.
dark_isz - North Carolina
doc_simple - Oregon
Donnie869 - I could help "opds9091" with Florida.
Gosling1 - I can also do some in the Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi area.
gpd211 - southern half of ohio and indiana (southern half)
Have2BeFree - upstate NY to VT/NH/PA/MA/NJ
krid80 - I could go to the Illinois Indiana border or the Illinois/Kentucky or Missouri/Arkansas or etc.
MarinaFazer - Southern California (Los angeles to santa barbara or san luis obispo)
mglowe - I will gladly do Iowa and Missouri to start with.
mpb218 - Eastern CT here, I could get any state around me, RI is close.
Norm - NE MA
oogie - Ga.,Tenn.,Al., Fl.
opds9091 - Florida
RaVzTeR - I would like to offer my services, wouldn't mind covering any of the Southern PA, MD, DC, NOVA.
rider1a - I can take the bag from somewhere in Texas to New Mexico.
scottsst - Oregon or Idaho/Utah/Washington.
shaggystyle - Southern Indiana through KY
shreveport1 - I could pick it up somewhere around Vicksburg Missisippi,and bring across Louisiana to Waskom Tx.
teeter - I'm still up or covering Virginia.
teeter - VA, WV
Wanderingpie - Oregon

I might be staying at Cloudcroft after handing off the bag for a day or two. I plan on riding to the Gila Cliff Dwelling north of Silver City. Is that road leading up to the ancient Indian structures, all paved?

Gila%20Pic%2001.jpg

After that I will end up in Taos/Santa Fe for some spirited riding before heading back to Texas.

Thanks,

Fred

Last edited:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't been to those cliff dwellings so I am not sure. I did go to the ones up in Mesa Verde in Colorado and the roads were paved, just single lane. I'll check around and see if its the same deal here.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I've got my leg of the Pony Express coming up shortly. With that in mind, I am still looking for someone that can take it from me. I can get to Utah/Colorado/Arizona and a little ways into them no problem. If we have someone in Mexico I could do that too. So basically anywhere bordering New Mexico:D

Anyone ready to keep the bag headed toward California?

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I've got my leg of the Pony Express coming up shortly. With that in mind, I am still looking for someone that can take it from me. I can get to Utah/Colorado/Arizona and a little ways into them no problem. If we have someone in Mexico I could do that too. So basically anywhere bordering New Mexico:D

Anyone ready to keep the bag headed toward California?

Hopefully some of the people below will flex a bit on their schedule and area of coverage and arrange a link-up.

1834177877_59e1c9aef9.jpg

I will PM them to see if there can be a middle ground for meeting.

Fred

agmom98 - UT in May, IN an surrounding states in June, TN and surrounding states in July

doc_simple - Oregon

MarinaFazer - Southern California (Los angeles to santa barbara or san luis obispo)

mglowe - I will gladly do Iowa and Missouri to start with.

scottsst - Oregon or Idaho/Utah/Washington.

Wanderingpie - Oregon

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
I can pick up from the cali/oregon border, but its look like y'all are talking about ending it in california.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I can pick up from the cali/oregon border, but its look like y'all are talking about ending it in california.
Are you talking about meeting around Medford, Oregon?

If you can ride an extra day, it might be better to meet in North Utah. It is only around a maximum of 700 miles from Oregon to Utah. It could be a pleasant weekend ride.

I think Matt or afpreppie04 is interested in going as far as Utah. Perhaps he will chime in.

Fred

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I am in the Los Angeles area. If someone can get it to San Diego, I might be able to catch it there, but I know we have FZ's in San Diego.

I can cover south LA County and might even be able to get the bag as far as Monterey Bay, CA if the timing is right...

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
oh, and I don't think it ended in CA...it goes to Hawaii and then there was talk of making a northern route via Oregon or so and then heading back across the US via northern states...right?

The objective is to reach the Pacific coast in the quickest possible way...this might be either via Oregon or California depending on which route the bag takes from New Mexico when I hand it over on August 31 to Matt or afpreppie04.

There have been several volunteer riders who "vanished" that were essential to getting the back all the way to it's destination. The most important connector rider is scottsst, and he has not responded to recent PMs. Right now, the plan is to have afpreppie04 link-up with doc_simple somewhere between New Mexico and Oregon.

One way or another, the bag will get to the Pacific. Part of the logistical issue is most FZ6 riders are local weekend warriors and don't desire to go on long-trips outside of their state. The FZ6 volunteers in the eastern US actually were excellent and stepped up to the call very quickly.

Hopefully, the volunteers for the western part of the US will respond soon.

To date, based on the small notebook included in the Pony Express bag, the following people have donated as follows:

Have2BeFree (Cheryl) - $50 to Mt. Springfield Shriners Hospital
Anthony - $25 (charity not mentioned)
Necro - $50 Neurofibromatosis Foundation
Shaggy - $50 to the Shriners of Lexington
Stryken (Mike) - $25 St. Judes
Krid80 (Dirk) - $25 St. Judes
Rider1a - $200 - Pediatric Brain Tumor (PBTF)

Although there might be others who donated anonymously.

Fred

Last edited:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Just finished getting the bike loaded with bags. I installed the PC3 with did a throttle body sync (thanks to forum user Fred), changed oil and replaced the rear tire. I am now ready to leave tomorrow and meet Matt on Monday in Roswell, New Mexico.

I also installed a radar detector, since New Mexico has more speed enforcement than any other state I have been to. I plan on riding an additional 1,800 miles around the state in areas I have never been to before. I will post a detailed ride report when I return.

Here is part of my route.

A small portion of Route 66 might be scenic too.

route_66_map.gif

Happy Trails,

RB

Last edited:

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Getting close, I just bought a crampbuster today in anticipation of the trip. We'll see if the gloves I ordered will arrive in time...at least I'll have them for the next leg if nothing else.:rolleyes:

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Getting close, I just bought a crampbuster today in anticipation of the trip. We'll see if the gloves I ordered will arrive in time...at least I'll have them for the next leg if nothing else.:rolleyes:

i am now at the tx/nm border. if you're gloves have not yet arrived, just get some heavy duty leather gloves at home depot. they protect your hands pretty well.

see ya a roswell. the fz6 is performing as always, very well with about two large bags of luggage.

fred

Status
Not open for further replies.