Test rode the FZ8 and FZ1, and impressions vs. the FZ6

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice write up, thank you. I'm sure it will benefit many folks thinking about "upgrading".

Awesome new ride. I love the old school paint scheme as well. Good luck and ride safe!

Freak

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a FZ1n the other week with the same color scheme as yours.

I still have the fz6 and hoping off the 1 and taking the 6 for a ride I notice a few things.

Fz1- more planted in the twisties better brakes etc

It has more torque getting off the clutch however 0-60km/h id have to hand it to the Fz6. Crack open 1st on the 6 at around 2000rpm and the front lurches into the air. The thou seems very lazy till around 5000rpm probably due to how crazy tall 1st gear is. 140km/h plus before hitting second. Around town I reckon the 6 is more fun and nippier to launch from the lights.

Also the thou completely stinks for fuel economy. Less the 200ks to a tank compared to around 400ks on the 6.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
Love the paint job. I thought about upgrading, but the bike I was going to look at I'm pretty sure sold -- but even if it didn't, I've talked myself out of it.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Evitzee: Thanks for uprading from the FZ6 to the FZ1 and listing why you favor the FZ1. Thank you very, very much! The check is in the mail. Once again, thank you!

Shell Oil Company

hankhill11

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks guys for all the comparisons. Actually... i'm not sure i should thank you lot. now i REALLY dont know which one to look more at. :eek:

I have seen both the fz1 and fz6 in very similar price ranges for used, depending on year and what my local dealers have. lucky for me, i have 4 within a 10 minute drive! actually 5, but one is the absolute worst place to go for customer service and price, so i dont even bother.

I love my EX for being an all around bike, but lately i've wanted a little more git up. winding out at WOT to redline just isn't as thrilling as it use to be. also i'd like to be able to keep up to my friends cbr600rr a little better!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That paint scheme did wonders to my adolescent imagination.
Sweet looking bike.
My only criticism is the exhausts a re so ugly these days.
It would not put me off owning one though.

Nelly

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
you got yourself a candy cane that can go 170mph. :thumbup:

standard.jpg

arless

Reaction score
Visit site
I refuse to test ride other bikes because I don't want to have this nagging in the back of my mind that "Maybe I should trade in the FZ6..." :BLAA:

I would love to have an FZ1...but for commuting, touring, 2-up riding and getting 55 miles to the gallon the FZ6 has the FZ1 beat.

Dude, go ride a FZ8 or a FZ1 and you will never ride a FZ6 again I promise.

Last edited:

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, go ride a FZ8 or a FZ1 and you will never ride a FZ6 again I promise.

i haven't tried the fz8 yet, and would like to. the fz1 felt so relaxed, so much torque and less rev-happy. very very comfortable. easily 500 miles/day on the fz1. the fz6 makes me tired in 3-4 hours of riding, and uncomfortable in 7-8.

as far as not wanting to ride the fz6, i dunno. i rode everything from a drz, lowrider, goldwing, fz1, xr, and one other i forgot in a day and still was quite happy to go home on my fz6. it's a superb machine, highly reliable, forgiving, and comfortable to a point. the cheapness of maintaining a fz6/8/1 is a huge selling point, and not to be overtaken by the payments of a new bike, for me.