Test rode the FZ8 and FZ1, and impressions vs. the FZ6

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Two weeks ago my local Yamaha dealer was hosting the Yamaha 18 wheeler/trailer filled with bikes that the public could ride. Nothing’s better than being able to ride somebody else’s new machines. So I rode the 25 miles on the FZ6 down to the dealer and signed up for the FZ1 and FZ8, that way I could do a back to back to back comparison of the three bikes. I always wondered if I was missing something by not getting an FZ1 to begin with, or if the FZ8 was a big improvement over the FZ6.

First up, the FZ1: The first thing I noticed was the seat was a bit higher than the FZ6 but manageable with my 30” inseam. Letting out the clutch let the bike roll off from a stop with little effort, far different than the FZ6 which has little torque down low and having to roll on a fair amount of throttle and feather the clutch to get things going. Pulling out on to the highway the extra power was apparent as the bike ran up to the speed limit effortlessly and just seemed to loaf along, with a feeling that it was ready to take off with a twist of the throttle. Downshifting was just an option. They took us on an 18 mile loop over a twisting road that I’ve ridden several times. (One thing I’ve learned is to be right behind the chaperone rider on these test rides as they tend to ride at a brisk clip and it gives you more opportunity to ride quickly, if you are further back in the pack you may be behind the guy putting along on a Star cruiser which limits your options.) Besides the ready power on tap advantage it was apparent that the chassis was much better sorted out than the FZ6, don’t know if it was due to better components or the adjustability of the front and rear suspension, but it just felt more planted. The perch felt like I was riding higher on the machine than the FZ6, but other than that the control aspects felt about the same. Got back with a big smile on my face, the extra power available was something I had missed since I sold my FJR four years ago.

Next, the FZ8: I Immediately switched over to the Raven FZ8 and by chance the Yamaha chick that was the trailing rider on the first test ride jumped on the FZ1 and led the second ride which gave me a good opportunity to match pace with the bike I had just finished riding. She took off and I had no problem keeping up with her, the FZ8 had lots of mid-range power like the FZ1, just not as much of it. The riding dynamics were very similar although I missed having the half fairing. I’m not a real fan of naked bikes, nor black bikes, but it was a nice piece of equipment nonetheless. I’m sure Yamaha will eventually bring in the European faired bike in the next year or so.

Once we got back I left on my FZ6 and rode the same course by myself to get an immediate comparison. To confirm my impressions the FZ6 needed a lot of goosing and wrist management to keep the same pace of the FZ1 and FZ8. Those two bikes were just easier to ride fast. I rode home and did some thinking. Did I want to trade the 2009 FZ6 which was only 11 months old for one of the other bikes? I did some penciling and figured that the net delta wouldn’t be all that great if I wanted to do it. The next day I got in the cage and visited the four closest dealers to see what they had in stock, just to get a feel. Three had an FZ8 on the floor and I found FZ1’s in blue, silver, granite and red, the colors from 2009-2011. The last dealer also had a 2009 FZ1 which I learned had a Retro kit fitted to it…..a new tank and all new bodywork in a pearl white and red scheme which was reminiscent of Yamahas from the 1970’s.. It was very cool looking and had lots of possibilities to customze for a street racer look.

The aftermath: So last Friday I rode the 82 miles down to the dealer and in about 15 minutes we agreed on a net difference in price which was better than what I was anticipating. I’ve learned the FZ6 is a pretty easy bike to sell because it is a good basic bike and since it was in like new condition the dealer was not going to have any problem reselling it. In less than two hours the new bike was prepped and I rode home on the FZ1 which is just plain funner to ride and bags of torque and hp are always available. Here are a few pics of it with less than 100 miles on it, it’s a good looking ride and one that I won’t be seeing going in the opposite direction. Let the mods begin although I’m not going to do a lot to it.

Although the FZ8 is a great bike I need the half fairing and right now the street price difference between a 2011 FZ8 and a brand new 2009 FZ1 is not all that great. For me the FZ1 is a far better value. So far I’m very happy with my new ride. The FZ6 is a very good machine with good looks, but to me the engine lets the package down, the power delivery is not what a modern street bike should be. Last year when I was comparing the FZ1 to the FZ6 I relied on the stats as a test ride wasn’t in the cards. In hindsight I would have been happier with the FZ1 from the get go, but better late than never. Good luck and happy, safe riding to all the FZ6 riders.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is the first bike I've ever ridden or owned. That said, 3 years into it I would love to have a tad bit more power and the swing arm of the FZ1 is just way sexier. Thanks for the comparison, it's a great read and good examples.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds awesome. Perfect bike in a number of ways for many people.

Very nice paint scheme too. The red stripe must add 3-5HP easily...

:p

templar

Reaction score
Visit site
Many thanks for the write-up. I was able to ride the FZ8 the other day, but wasn't able to compare to the 1. You reaffirmed my impressions although my riding style hasn't used all the FZ6's hp...yet.

Enjoy your FZ1! Good looking machine!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I refuse to test ride other bikes because I don't want to have this nagging in the back of my mind that "Maybe I should trade in the FZ6..." :BLAA:

I would love to have an FZ1...but for commuting, touring, 2-up riding and getting 55 miles to the gallon the FZ6 has the FZ1 beat.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet looking FZ1. I was torn between the two a 6 or a 1 and decided I did not need the extra HP. My 6 goes fast enought to get me in trouble as it is. Maybe in the future a FZ1. Your FZ1 is sure sexy. Love it. Ride Safe and Enjoy the Ride. :thumbup:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bike, the speed blocs are bad. :D

I still don't see the point of the FZ8, it is a down on power/spec FZ1, just a marketing exercise. You would always feel that you should have had the FZ1.

The naked FZ1 is really nice.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome ride and love the paint scheme.. very retro.

If it were me the first thing to go would be the exhaust.

Good luck with it!! :D

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new ride. The FZ1 is what got me interested in the FZ bikes in the first place. A guy in my MSF course came in on his FZ1 to take the course with his wife and told me about the FZ6. Both great bikes, but the parts are so much higher spec in the FZ1...