Test rode a FZ09

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I was at the Superbike race at Laguna Seca and Yamaha had a tent where you could test ride a few different models of their line up. I signed up and got to ride this bike:
noUnT2I.jpg

The group of us went out into some nice twisty roads near the track and then turned around and came back. All in all, the trip was about half an hour.

The bike definitely had more punch than the 6. It was actually the first time I've ridden anything over 600cc, so I wound up just leaving it in the "Standard" mode instead of putting it in "A" mode. It was also the first time I rode anything without a windscreen, other than a couple dirt bikes.

It was a pretty nice bike and I liked the seating position. The only things I didn't like was that it felt kinda "springy" whenever I hit a bump and the position of the gauge cluster was a little awkward. The 6 seems to take bumps in stride but the 9 definitely made the bumps more noticeable. The gauge cluster thing was mainly because my helmet has a piece on the inside that covers up my nose so it's not really the bikes fault.

Today was a great day all together! I also got to do three laps of Laguna Seca on the 6. I had a GoPro on my helmet but I fat-fingered it and wound up taking a stream of consecutive still pictures. If I flip through them fast enough, it KINDA looks like a video. :rolleyes:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty cool!! I have only ridden my dad's '85 VFR700 a couple times myself.

You should make the stills into an animated gif file so it's just a silent movie ;)

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea, someone told me to download MS Video Maker or something like that so I could basically do the same thing. Once I put it together, I'll post it up.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I was at the Superbike race at Laguna Seca and Yamaha had a tent where you could test ride a few different models of their line up. I signed up and got to ride this bike:
noUnT2I.jpg

The group of us went out into some nice twisty roads near the track and then turned around and came back. All in all, the trip was about half an hour.

The bike definitely had more punch than the 6. It was actually the first time I've ridden anything over 600cc, so I wound up just leaving it in the "Standard" mode instead of putting it in "A" mode. It was also the first time I rode anything without a windscreen, other than a couple dirt bikes.

It was a pretty nice bike and I liked the seating position. The only things I didn't like was that it felt kinda "springy" whenever I hit a bump and the position of the gauge cluster was a little awkward. The 6 seems to take bumps in stride but the 9 definitely made the bumps more noticeable. The gauge cluster thing was mainly because my helmet has a piece on the inside that covers up my nose so it's not really the bikes fault.

Today was a great day all together! I also got to do three laps of Laguna Seca on the 6. I had a GoPro on my helmet but I fat-fingered it and wound up taking a stream of consecutive still pictures. If I flip through them fast enough, it KINDA looks like a video. :rolleyes:
Sorry for moaning but the oversized pictures (which are great) ruin the readability of the thread. FZ9 defo my next bike, thanks for posting.

Nelly

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about that, I'll scale them down a little more next time. I've seen on some forums where you can post any size pic and it scales them down automatically but you can still click them to see it full sized. That would be a nice feature to add.

Well, I've been fighting Microsoft Movie Maker for a while now and am unable to convert the file from .wlmp to .avi. I figured out a work around using Procaster. Basically, I streamed the file online and saved the recording through Procaster. The downside is that quality took a hit.

Laguna Seca fan parade laps - YouTube

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So. are you going to buy a FZ-09?

Well, I'm not sure. It's definitely on the table as a possibility. Honestly, I'll probably wait until I'm done paying off my car before I look at upgrading the bike.

God that looks like so much fun, but I'd dare not take my FZ to the track (for the first time) until I get new tires lol

Yea, it was a blast! When everyone was taking off their helmets after it was over, you could see nothing but **** eating grins all around. :D I was already planning on buying a ticket to do it again when MotoGP came back but someone posted an article in the racing section that says they won't be coming back. :(

I highly recommend it though. This wasn't even like a normal track day, where you go as fast as you can, and it was still a lot of fun.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet! I should get mine this week... black & blue. I will find out today when the dealership gets it. I'm getting the first one... WHOOHOO! :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet! I should get mine this week... black & blue. I will find out today when the dealership gets it. I'm getting the first one... WHOOHOO! :)

haha!!!
Time to start modding all over again!

We need more power Scotty!! :thumbup:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just discovered today that this bike is coming here in November as the MT-09, a huge surprise as the FZ8 didn't come here and there aren't really that many naked bikes available. They reckon around $11k US with the current exchange rate :spank:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
haha!!!
Time to start modding all over again!

We need more power Scotty!! :thumbup:

Oh ya! Just waiting on getting the bike to order my exhaust hardware... need few measurement first. FE also should follow shortly after. :BLAA::BLAA::BLAA:

Talking about power. My midship exhaust on the FZ8 was good for 103WHP and 57 ft.lb (92 WHP and 52 ft.lb on a bone stock 13)

That made my day... let see what I can do on the FZ-09 now. :cheer:

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As much as it doesn't really matter, the naming convention strikes me as odd. FZ1, FZ6, FZ6R, FZ8, and FZ09. I might just call it the FZ9 anyway. :BLAA:

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
Everybody's got FZ-fever!

Got a random call from the Yamaha dealership yesterday. Still don't know how they got my number... I guess the first FZ-09 in Tucson is sitting in their showroom-dry. I acted like I was interested in a new bike on the off chance I might get to test-ride it once fluids are in. We'll see.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya, 30" in seams will do that. First ride officially done. That thing is sweet! It pull quite strong right off idle almost and bang around 6K the front wheel is skipping the ground... at about 1/3 throttle.

That was a short ride so not really an official review. But the hike is bang on what I wanted. Got a **** load of bottom end torque and still has a nuce punchy top end... it should get better has it loosen up.

Seat is ok. Typical sporty seat with too muxh down slope. Wind is fine up to 75 MPH. Vibration is not really noticeable and cruising at 5K is much niver than 7K with the 6R.

Dash will take time to get use to it. 70 MPH steady speed give me around 48-50 MPG

Ordered my exhaust goodies already... I will have a nice exhaust done by the end of next week! :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2