Test rode a FZ09

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went looking around San Antonio for one, but nobody has gotten one in yet, but all the dealers say they have a pretty good amount of people that already put deposits down for one. Maybe next year.

I did buy a new RF-1100 helmet for when I can find a black one with blue wheels though.

1376494_10202102707439619_484643769_n.jpg

Last edited:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
How high do you sit compared to an FZ6? I really want this bike but am height challenged myself(5'7" on a good day) and the FZ6 is at the edge of my comfort level heightwise. I know the seat is slightly higher on the 9 but I was hoping the slimmer profile would make up for it.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
holy crap, how high is that seat? looks like you're on your tippy toes.

I'm 5'8" and I felt comfortable sitting on it and riding it. It's not that bad. I don't know my inseam or exactly how high the seat is without looking it up but I'm by no means tall. ;)

Ya, 30" in seams will do that. First ride officially done. That thing is sweet! It pull quite strong right off idle almost and bang around 6K the front wheel is skipping the ground... at about 1/3 throttle.

That was a short ride so not really an official review. But the hike is bang on what I wanted. Got a **** load of bottom end torque and still has a nuce punchy top end... it should get better has it loosen up.

Seat is ok. Typical sporty seat with too muxh down slope. Wind is fine up to 75 MPH. Vibration is not really noticeable and cruising at 5K is much niver than 7K with the 6R.

Dash will take time to get use to it. 70 MPH steady speed give me around 48-50 MPG

Ordered my exhaust goodies already... I will have a nice exhaust done by the end of next week! :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Did you hit any bumps or anything? How did you feel about the suspension? I asked the Yamaha people and they said it was dialed in right at middle. A few bumps I took were less confidence inspiring than I think they would've been on the 6. Granted, I've never been on that particular road on the 6, I've just never felt that way when going over a bump. Kinda like the rebound was much stronger and made me kinda feel like I was floating for a second.

How high do you sit compared to an FZ6? I really want this bike but am height challenged myself(5'7" on a good day) and the FZ6 is at the edge of my comfort level heightwise. I know the seat is slightly higher on the 9 but I was hoping the slimmer profile would make up for it.

As I said above, I'm only an inch or so taller than you and I thought it was fine. Best bet is to find one at a showroom and sit on it. heh

Kinda completely unrelated, but I was back at Laguna Seca today, this time with my car, and did my first real track day. I am hooked! :D Once this huge file finishes uploading, I'll post an in car cam video in the bar or whatever section seems most appropriate.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
The 9 kind of remind me a bit of the CB1K. Its about 32" but the bike is narrow. I didnt push the bike yet... still breaking her in and rode 2 up with the wife last night. Love the engine... pull strong right from the bottom all the way to the top.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
tutyse5y.jpg
What's the otd $, if you don't mind.:confused:

If you rather not say, that's kool.:thumbup:

$9300.00 OTD

This is a lot of bike for that price. Run sooo smooth. Fuel economy seems good for a 850cc. Cruising @ 70 MPH will get you around 48-50 MPG. Things change quick when you start pinning the throttle... as expected.

My biggest concern was the wind blast and it's not an issue to be honest. Over 75 MPH you get a good breeze but nothing wild.

Ergo is right spot on for me. The seat need some attention. The downward slope combine with the grippy seat cover (like the 13 FZ8) feel like it want ti shear the first layer on skin on your bump after a while. Like my 6R it was slippery a bit and end up to be a balls crusher against the fuel tank. With this one you don't move at all but after a while it gets annoying a bit. The foam padding is fine... jut need less slope. The passenger side... it wasn't part of the design! It's just as bad as a SS. The pegs are way up high and the seat is as think as a Tampax! LOL It's about 1/2" think... My wife as been bless with a nice Portuguese butt (Dad side) and in order for me to be comfy I need to sit toward the back of the seat where its a bit wider... then her bump is on the tail light.

So if you get this bike as a 2 up weekend ride, wrong choice.

FE done...

Last edited:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Still getting use to the extra HP here. The bike is awesome! Anytime I twist the throttle the bike as plenty if juice. I tried to sit as close as I can to the tank and lean forward... still vant keep the front wheel on the ground in 1st gear... and second!:eek::eek::eek: That's on mode STD... still need to try the mode A...

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
How far on a tank so far?

I get 41 MPG avrg so far combine city/hwy. If I cruise at 70 MPH I get 48-50 MPG on the dash... pretty much accurate with filling/mileage math.

So anything around 120miles... I think I can push 150 if I do hwy only.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
im sure its a nice ride marthy, but somehow i do not dig its looks, the lowslung headlight especially.

does it have more top end than the fz 6? or is it more of a torque machine than screaming top end?

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
im sure its a nice ride marthy, but somehow i do not dig its looks, the lowslung headlight especially.

does it have more top end than the fz 6? or is it more of a torque machine than screaming top end?

Once you fix the FE, it looks much better. At 417lbs and over 50ft.lb of torque available from 2K RPM up with 107 WHP at the rear wheel... it's more ponies that you will ever need for the road. Anything more than 30-50% throttle in first gear and it wheely... powershift in second and up it goes again.

That bike is so fun to ride that you won't mind the look after few minutes on the saddle! The front end need a little fly screen to blend the look a bit I have to agree. But wind blast is not a issue... air is pretty smooth.

The bike ride is very smooth too. Vibration are pretty much non existent. This is exactly what I was looking for in a bike. I didn't want to downshift 3 gears to sling shot a cage on the freeway and didn't want to have a flat top end of a twin either.

The FZ6 was a nice ride in its days, and still a great bike. But 5 minutes ride around the block in the FZ-09 and you will understand what i mean... just a different bread of bike, Yamaha just nailed it on this one.

The only bad thing I can say so far with the FZ-09... it wasn't design to ride 2 up. With some luggage the bike is capable of Touring for long ride 1up. 2up... the passenger won't like it. It's more like sitting on a R6. Pegs are way up high and the seat is about 1/2 thick... that's including the plastic. If you're girl is anything shape like J.Lo bottom end... she will have the tail light up her bump. LOL My wife does... :)
I included some dyno chart. Green line is the FZ-09, Red is Street 3, Blue is FZ8 and Yellow is F800 bimmer.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you going to get one, or will you still do the Ducati?

The bike is kind of one dimensional. It's naked, with no windscreen. I like to do a lot of touring, but also use the bike as a commuter and tear up the twisties as well. It's really not designed for long distance.

So far, the Multistrada is what I want. Second choice would possibly be the Ducati Hyperstrada but their small fuel tank is a turnoff, or the Kawasaki Ninja 1000.

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I might drag this one back to the top.

I have a friend who just purchased one if these from my work (dealer) he has clocked up 3500km so far. We did a 3 day trip over new year. Covered over 2000km in the 3 days. His mt09 realy opened up at about 1500km and is still loosening up now!
The furthest we made on a tank was 285km with 45km of that being on f trip! When it was filled there was less then 800ml remaining in the tank. Got the fuel economy down to 4.2L/100km
It is a blast to ride, this year will be new bike year for me and the mt09 will be it!
It will now power wheelie with ease. Roll on the throttle at 100kmh in 4th and the front end will point to the sky, maybe too much fun
We also fitted a two brothers full system to it today and the note is amazing!

Anybody else ridden one or considering purchasing one?