SW-Motech Bar Risers/Bar Backs

sycamoredave

Reaction score
Visit site
I also installed these risers earlier this year. I have about 15K on my '05, and the risers are the difference between battling the seat position and truly being comfortable. I am >6' and have gone from almost selling the bike to now being pretty happy with it. The seat still sucks, but a Pro-Pad gel pad has helped. I tilt the bars down a bit more than most. It seems to compensate for some of the setback, and actually gives me a better bar position in the twisties. I rode the Dragon on it in Sept., and found it to be a great setup. My bike also has Givi boxes, a tall shield with Laminar Lip, and a Throttlemeister, bu the setbacks are the single biggest improvement I have done so far. Touring 500+ mile days is now a reality on this bike. Highly recommended (both the setbacks and the Dragon)!!!

Ride safe...
Dave

Jonathan

Reaction score
Visit site
Where did you get the pro gel pad? I would like to get something like that for mine. Seat discomfort is my #1 complaint about the bike. Other than that I love the bike!

Jonno271

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the write up Shaggy, I was thinking about new bars but these seem to achieve the same effect. Think I need then for my 700 mile/week commute!

M

mnormand

I immediately put barback risers too when I got this bike, and like them very much. Have one alaskan DS wool pad I use between this and the WR250R, makes all the difference for me. Can ride certainly longer than required pit stops.

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally broke down and ordered these last week and have taken a couple of short rides and can already tell that the bike so much more comfortable for me. I have some pretty nasty neck pain that's aggravated by the weight of the helmet when leaned forward for any length of time, and I came really close to selling the Fazer for a cruiser before ultimately deciding to give these a try first. So far I think they are going to work out great.

bambiloid

Reaction score
Visit site
i have installed yesterday the raisers.
for the city it is realy cool. the handling is easier.
however, at high speeds, in the turns it gives me the sensation of understtering maybe because of the position, the presure that i apply on handle bar is lower.

did enybody has experience with this mod and braking with ABS? how the bike behaves in such conditions?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,
I got the risers in the post yesterday and went to fit them last night.
My biggest concern was that all the cables and wiring were really taut. The front brake line was stretched pretty straight but there is no extra tension coz it moves with the whole front end. I didnt want to try it lock to lock in case I stuffed something up.:(
What has been othere experience with throttle and clutch cable and all the electrics. Is there a bit of slack under the tank I should loosen off or should I look into extending the wiring and re cabling( not really what I wanted to do.):confused:
Maybe the fz's with a fairing have a bit more overall cable and wiring slack than a naked????

When I set up the risers and placed the bars the positioning felt really good, and as I spent a$100+ I'm keen to continue with the mod
Anyway if anyone has any advice I'd be keen to hear it.

btw my beowulf rad guard arrived in the mail this am so that might get fitted tonight:thumbup:
have to change the signature... again! This modding caper is diabolically addictive, but way healthier than drugs

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi folks,
I got the risers in the post yesterday and went to fit them last night.
My biggest concern was that all the cables and wiring were really taut. The front brake line was stretched pretty straight but there is no extra tension coz it moves with the whole front end. I didnt want to try it lock to lock in case I stuffed something up.:(
What has been othere experience with throttle and clutch cable and all the electrics. Is there a bit of slack under the tank I should loosen off or should I look into extending the wiring and re cabling( not really what I wanted to do.):confused:
Maybe the fz's with a fairing have a bit more overall cable and wiring slack than a naked????

When I set up the risers and placed the bars the positioning felt really good, and as I spent a$100+ I'm keen to continue with the mod
Anyway if anyone has any advice I'd be keen to hear it.

btw my beowulf rad guard arrived in the mail this am so that might get fitted tonight:thumbup:
have to change the signature... again! This modding caper is diabolically addictive, but way healthier than drugs

When I install my Renthal handlebar on my 6R I had to move stuff around like you. I had to pull on the wires and remove few tie rap to pick up some slack. I have to reroute the throttle cable behind the handlebar and the biggest issue was the brake line.

Mine goes originally from the master cylinder to the left side caliper, then a hose goes to the right side. What I did is swap lines around. Master to right hans side ten connect to left hand side. I bleed everything and 12000 miles later thing are still working fine. Just make sure you use new crush washer... but make sure nothing bend up from lock to lock...

bambiloid

Reaction score
Visit site
nothing to do in my case. the wires had enough slack.
I will check to see if ther eis enough slack even with the fork fully extended (for the break line)

Last edited:

raesewell

Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a link to these risers. I've looked at the Motech site and cant find them........ can anyone help?

Keithn

Prince Valium
Reaction score
Visit site
Shaggy- I really want to get these but am concerned about what agf said about the cables and brake lines being stretched. Other posts say it wasnt an issue. Did you have to move any cables around when doing the install or undue the zip ties? Thanks.

IndyFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Keithn,

I have a 2008 with stock bars and these risers. I have had them on all this year with no problems. I did cut one of the zipties on the bars on the throttle side, if I remember correctly just to get a little more slack, but not other adjustments necessary. they really do make the seating position much better IMO.
:rockon:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Still havnt fitted mine, spoke to my mechanic he wil have a look when he does next full service, going to get him to fit some braided brake lines at the same time. But having ridden now for 9 months w/out the risers I could go w/out them and prob not be worried. Stol worried about the throttle cables mostly tho'

Sent from the phone: sorry 'bout my spileng, fat fingers...you know!

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
So I put 1501 (not sure how I managed that exact number, but honest to god that's what the trip odo says) on the bike this weekend and I think I'm ready to finally give a thorough evaluation report on the risers.

If you are going to do any long distance riding (>300 miles), and you aren't 100% comfortable with the current bar setup....you want to put these things on your fz6. I did two 500 mile days and two 250 mile days, the 250's weren't much, but at the end of the 500's my butt was killing me (need to get a new seat before I do any more long trips), but my shoulders, arms and back were just fine. Before I put the risers on, a "short" 100 mile weekend trip would leave my back and shoulders sore and tense. Like I said earlier, the biggest improvement that I noticed, was that I no longer had to sit as close to the tank, I was able to sit further back in the seat and sit straighter. On long trips this makes a huge difference.

In regards to performance, I honestly haven't noticed any difference in how the bike handles. One of my biggest reservations about buying the risers was that I thought I might lose some of the bikes sharpness in the turns. This turned out to be completely unfounded. I took the bike through some pretty twisty routes at speed and with 50lbs of gear strapped to the back. I never felt like she had lost any of her response (maybe I just wasn't taking the corners as hard as i thought before?).

The only thing that is really different, is that you can't tuck in behind the windshield quite the same as before. Before, I used to be able to lay down on the tank and still have my arms at a comfortable angle to the handlebars, now it's a little bit uncomfortable. I only really noticed because on the really long stretches, when my behind started to get sore, I would try and lay down on the tank to get my weight off the seat. I'm pretty sure putting in a better seat will remedy this and remove any need for me to lean that far forward.

I think what I'm really starting to appreciate about this bike is the polymorphism (any other developers out there???). With a little bit of tweaking you really can turn an FZ6 into just about anything you want. Plenty of people on this forum have turned theirs into race bikes, some into streetfighters, and some into touring bikes. It really is flexible enough to do any of the above, and I don't think i fully realized it's potential until I took it on a long haul this past weekend. I guess my final thoughts are these, I love my bike more and more the longer I have it.

Benefits of a Standard style of motorcycle. They're like the Swiss Army knives of the motorcycle world. You can outfit them to do nearly anything. No matter what I ride I always wind up back on a Standard. Suzuki Bandit, SV650 Naked, BMW R1150R now back to a standard on the FZ6.

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put these on my '06 about a month ago. The stock brake hose was JUST long enough, and I had to tinker with the zip ties on the fork tube some. Mine is a faired bike, not the N.

The bike feels great with the risers now. I'm average height,, but a little short limbed, so my torso is long and arms are short. I put the FZ6R bar on with these risers and the bike now feels both more comfortable and easier to control. Especially around town.

I'll add a before and after pic soon.

pjj1970

Reaction score
Visit site
Hehe polymorphism :-D...

Just a question how tall are you ?. I am also thinking about going with te handlebar raisers...