SW-Motech Bar Risers/Bar Backs

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know about turning it around. While it might stretch you out over the tank a bit, the bar would still be sitting higher than normal. In my mind that doesn't quite fit the "sporty feel" that I think you guys are looking for. You might be better served getting some angled bars like Jonac's.

As for a short girl....maybe. If she's having trouble reaching the bars or steering at slow speed because her arms aren't long enough, it's not going to make it much easier on her. If she can reach the bars but finds the position just a little bit uncomfortable then I'd say these would most likely help. The best way to think of it is that if you can't ride comfortably on the bike for a short trip (20 ~ 30 minutes) then risers probably won't help. But if your shoulders start to ache after an hour or so in the saddle then risers may help.

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I'm wondering if this mod stretches the cables/controls so as to make them too cramped? I don't particularly want to have to change cables-n things out to add these extensions.
Thx,
Bill

deljs

Reaction score
Visit site
Everything fit very well on mine. The brake hose is right at its limit, but not actually stretched. More comfortable riding longer now.

Beknatok

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you think that it would be a good mod for a short girl .
Might be easier to reach the bars ?

Well, I'm 5'5" and the Motech risers really made a difference for myself, from a comfort perspective. Never had an issue reaching the bars, just a matter of riding angle.

F

FZSex

Bumping a great thread - put mine on this weekend and its a highly recommended mod. :thumbup:

derf

Reaction score
Visit site
I suffer from some chronic neck/shoulder stiffness so opted for these risers this spring and love 'em. They've completely altered the comfort level of my riding position and have allowed me to enjoy long rides again. Simply the best 100 bucks I've spent in a long time.

One note on the OP's install pics. He rested the bar on the windshield side while installing the risers. On my '05 I rested the bar on tank side. I originally rested it on the windshield side but there was not enough slack in the cables to allow me to lift it over the installed riser. Resting it on the tank lets you install the risers without fussing with the cables.

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
For those freakishly tall people like me who find themselves reaching/leaning forward uncomfortably in order to reach the handlebars, these risers offer a nice 1.4 in by 45 degree offset from the FZ6 stock handlbar position. I picked up my pair from twistedthrottle.com for $111 shipped.

Here's what that money gets you:
IMGP2151.jpg

What you may or may not be able to see is that the instruction are in german and are pretty much worthless, good thing this is an extremely straight-forward install. The hardest part is figuring out which bolts are which (there are three sizes).

Stock handlebar setup:
IMGP2146.jpg

After removing the top bar clamp:
IMGP2149.jpg

Removed top clamp:
IMGP2148.jpg
Mine have arrived.
What torque setting did you use (if any)and did you check them after 50 miles as stated on the instructions?

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Torque setting was somewhere between tight and really tight. I did sort of check them a few hundred miles later when I took the stock yamaha top clamp off and replaced it with the sw-motech ones. The reason I took the stock top clamp off was because I couldn't lift the tank without taking the handle bars off. If you use the motech ones instead then you can turn the bars and lift the tank through the gap between the clamps. Anyways, the direct answer to your questions are "no" on both counts.

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
Torque setting was somewhere between tight and really tight. I did sort of check them a few hundred miles later when I took the stock yamaha top clamp off and replaced it with the sw-motech ones. The reason I took the stock top clamp off was because I couldn't lift the tank without taking the handle bars off. If you use the motech ones instead then you can turn the bars and lift the tank through the gap between the clamps. Anyways, the direct answer to your questions are "no" on both counts.

OK they are on,and I must say I love,love, love it!!
Funny thing is I find I can chuck the bike about more in town and I didnt expect that.
Also the bike is so comfortable.
Best mod Ive done and Ive done a few.:cheer:

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK they are on,and I must say I love,love, love it!!
Funny thing is I find I can chuck the bike about more in town and I didnt expect that.
Best mod Ive done and Ive done a few.:cheer:

ranieri - what do you mean by "chuck the bike"? Easier to move it around?

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
ranieri - what do you mean by "chuck the bike"? Easier to move it around?

Yeah sorry (its my London accent).
I mean it handles much better around town.
I can move better in traffic and I find I can throw it in to the bends more.:thumbup:

bikerdude

Reaction score
Visit site
ok they are on,and i must say i love,love, love it!!
Funny thing is i find i can chuck the bike about more in town and i didnt expect that.
Best mod ive done and ive done a few.:cheer:

hey dude, ive been reading all about those motech risers and im wanting to do the mod too. Where did you buy them at? I sure would like to sit up a little more. Any info would help. Thanks, bdude

bikerdude

Reaction score
Visit site
hey dude, ive been reading all about those motech risers and im wanting to do the mod too. Where did you buy them at? I sure would like to sit up a little more. Any info would help. Thanks, bdude

i found it. I looked back at shaggystyle and there it was on the first thread. Thanks shaggystyle

M

mnormand

I'm about to order these risers, and just a side note...from my experience with my former Triumph Tiger and that forum, we found laying a towel on your tank before starting this project, and resting those handlebars down was a very good idea.

Also, the risers had to come off when removing that tank, otherwise scratches were almost certain to happen. So heads up.

New to this forum, and paying it forward :thumbup:

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
This mod works well with the FZ1 bars. I didn't like the excessive sweep of the FZ6 bars. The FZ1 bar has no rise with less sweep. It's worked out perfect for me.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Good Comfort; Decrease in performance

I installed the risers, road a thousand miles, took them off, and immediately felt the difference in corners.

If I go on long rides, I'll reinstall the risers, but, for my daily commute to school, I keep them off. I felt a big difference in turning response with them on. The bike didn't feel as stable (granted, this is during very hard and fast turns). In normal riding, however, it doesn't affect the cornering, and it is noticeably more comfortable. But, since I like to push my bike hard in corners, I'll keep them off around town.

Bingo! I reached the same conclusion. The bike felt sluggish on turns with th risers. The physics of that is simple....with the driver torque removed from directly above the spindle, you lose ease of turning, so you have to use MORE force to make a turn happen.

The second negative is unless you have a really large screen, getting father back from the windscreen increases the buffeting since you are not close enough to the clean air from the windscreen.

The risers do remove some back pressure for long rides, but for 200 mile and under days, it is best kept off.

Trying the risers with the FZ1 handlebars make be a better option.

Fred

joshfz6.2008

Reaction score
Visit site
i'd like to have a little bit more reach my self i was wonder if those would work if you flipped them around? if you get some time could you try it and post a pic??