New Risers & Painted Top Clamp

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
After I installed my throttle lock I had to pull the throttle right to the edge of the bar to get the brake levers to actually be usable! This mean that on full lock my throttle cables would stick. Then, I ordered a Cee Bailey screen and discovered that my levers knocked it on lock. Also, I've never been too happy with the way my cables are basically at full stretch with my 30mm SW-Motech risers and Renthal High Road bars. I decided the solution was slightly lower risers. I managed to find some Accossato Universal 20mm Risers for just £18 and couldn't resist! These basically just come with the riser part that fits underneath the bars and some slightly longer bolts. I decided this gave me the reason I needed to get around to painting my stock Yamaha top clamp and then I can sell the SW-Motech risers as a complete set.

First step was to get the Yamaha badge off the clap and then sand and clean them. Then I applied a couple of layers of primer:-

Next I wet-sanded with 500grit sand-paper as this was the finest I had and sprayed a few layers of Plasti-Kote BBQ paint. I really like this stuff as it sticks to most things, hardens nicely and cures quickly in the oven. Here it is after about 20 mins in the oven at 100c:-

I wanted to use my Araldite 2-part glue to stick the Yamaha badge on (I'd painted & cured that too), but couldn't find it. I just used some liquid metal, which worked just as well:-

Here is the final product:-

I also sprayed the bolts that came with the risers and used them to install the top-clamp and risers. Looks much more professional than seeing the Renthal logo & adjustment marks on the bars!:-

Here's a nice view showing the risers and the top-clamp:-

Although I'm now pulled a little way down than I was before, it's still far better than stock and can have my arms straight and my back just bent a bit. I actually put less weight on my hands for some reason now and let my legs & back take more of the strain - which is much better on long riders. It's actually even a bit quieter with the new screen now as even more of my helmet is out of the stream.

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
interesting and iam glad your comfy on your bike but,and i know this for a fact its bad practice to ride with straight arms,you should have bent elbows that are loose and flap slightly,this allows the bars to float and bike will feel neutral,ever ridden a bike with notchy head bearings,straight /locked arms give the same feel,nice job on the new bars although i think i would have matched the top yolk
nick

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
interesting and iam glad your comfy on your bike but,and i know this for a fact its bad practice to ride with straight arms,you should have bent elbows that are loose and flap slightly,this allows the bars to float and bike will feel neutral,ever ridden a bike with notchy head bearings,straight /locked arms give the same feel,nice job on the new bars although i think i would have matched the top yolk
nick
Yeah I know. There was a great article in Ride magazine I read a few years back that got me to slouch and bend my arms more and take the strain with my knees and back rather than arms. I usually force myself into to that, but each time I change my bars/seat etc I have to gradually force myself into it again as I default to straight arms with too much weight on my wrists! :thumbup:

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
didnt want to sound sh!tty or stuff,just i found myself doing the locked arm thing and it wrecked a seasons riding until i figured out it was me,now i ride loose and climb all over the bike gp style knee down etc,even a budget fz can hustle along,ive got some gilles rearsets on mine and its really helped tune my body position,wind used spread my legs at high speed and it hurt after a few miles trying to keep them against the tank,
nick

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
didnt want to sound sh!tty or stuff,just i found myself doing the locked arm thing and it wrecked a seasons riding until i figured out it was me,now i ride loose and climb all over the bike gp style knee down etc,even a budget fz can hustle along,ive got some gilles rearsets on mine and its really helped tune my body position,wind used spread my legs at high speed and it hurt after a few miles trying to keep them against the tank,
nick
Cheers. Luckily that's not really a problem for me as my lower fairing pushes the wind away from my legs so I get a nice grip on the tank/frame to hold my body in place. Good for working out my abs too! :rockon:

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
ive got a really good balance on my bike which is a naked BTW,once on the move the wind supports my upper body this enables my arms to unload and my leg position is spot on,would be a bugger to tour on though,after a fast afternoon's riding i know about it,still at 6,6" tall its nice to find a bike that fits well
nick