stupid car drivers

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
.. ... and always wondered why you use left side of roads while rest of the world just the opposite : ) ........
Well many of the great empires used to drive/ride on the left, the Egyptians, the Greeks and the Romans to mention but a few ;) (source wikipedia)

wasn't is all down to Napoleon being left handed, blame the french

;) yup, anyway that is one of the explainations in the link I posted :thumbup:

And the reason driving on the left side is safer (according to wiki):
In left-hand traffic, the predominantly better-performing right eye is used to monitor oncoming traffic and the driver's wing mirror (side mirror). In right-hand traffic, oncoming traffic and the driver's wing mirror are handled by the predominantly weaker left eye
but unfortunately this didn't help you any Greg :banghead:

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the best way to settle the right/left argument is for entire world to start driving down the middle!! :rof:

Many of the drivers here already do it :rolleyes:

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the part I still struggle with. Not the middle finger.. the "showing any reaction at all". I tend to shake my head in disgust. I fear one day that may be enough to make someone mad enough to run me over.

Actually for me, when something does happen my hands are usually too busy so I yell something which goes unheard with the visor down. :(
But I do use a little more caution when a RR is around me.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually for me, when something does happen my hands are usually too busy so I yell something which goes unheard with the visor down. :(
But I do use a little more caution when a RR is around me.

Yeah, no gesturing while something happens.. I'm talking immediately after.

Karate.Snoopy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, no gesturing while something happens.. I'm talking immediately after.

I found my self struggling with this, the last few times that I have been cut off I noticed that my finger was going up in a jiffy. I have since been to rehab and only kick my leg up now :D
In all seriousness though, us riders also get caught up in the moment. Always remind yourself before, during and after the rides to 'Look where you want to go and be on the defense'. Especially in the north east where pretty much every one drives an SUV, our small headlights seem to give the perception of a distance larger than actual.
Whilst approaching an intersection I exercise a little weave.
Check out this video
Crash Course - The SMIDSY - YouTube

made_in_izmir

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Apart from:

Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Bermuda
Bhutan
Bophuthatswana
Botswana
British Virgin Islands
Brunei
Cayman Islands
Channel Islands
Ciskei
Cyprus
Dominica
Falkland Islands
Fiji
Grenada
Guyana
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Jamaica
Japan
Kenya
Lesotho
Macau
Malawi
Malaysia
Malta
Mauritius
Montserrat
Mozambique
Namibia
Nepal
New Zealand
Pakistan
Papua
New Guinea
St. Vincent and Grenadines
Seychelles
Sikkim
Singapore
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Africa
Sri Lanka
St Kitts and Nevis
St. Helena
St. Lucia
Surinam
Swaziland
Tanzania
Thailand
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
US Virgin Islands
Venda
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Thanks for information , I could have done that by using google , but we call it the art of exaggeration in literature . So I know there are some other "british colonial countries" which use the left side of the roads , I'm talkin about the big countries . Salaam ...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found my self struggling with this, the last few times that I have been cut off I noticed that my finger was going up in a jiffy. I have since been to rehab and only kick my leg up now :D
In all seriousness though, us riders also get caught up in the moment. Always remind yourself before, during and after the rides to 'Look where you want to go and be on the defense'. Especially in the north east where pretty much every one drives an SUV, our small headlights seem to give the perception of a distance larger than actual.
Whilst approaching an intersection I exercise a little weave.
Check out this video
Crash Course - The SMIDSY - YouTube

I've been doing SMIDSY for the past ~4-5 years and I pass it on to all my students :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My guess: Many people cannot see that well at night to begin with and to people with bad eyes your single headlight at distance may have looked like a car a long way off.