Close call last Sunday

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So glad you're ok Martin - all down to the expertise of the rider!

I refuse to ride to work on my bike because of bloody idiots on the road. I live rural so drive into town with lights on all the time. They don't see me in my car. Seriously - I drive a V6 with headlights on ALL the time!! They are far too busy texting on their bloody phones etc and just not paying attention to see a big arse car. Some of the worst drivers are actually young mums with kids in the cars - around my area they speed or just don't pay attention.

How are they going to see me on my bike? They turn in without indicating. Drift across lanes. Pull out of stop signs/side roads in front of me. This morning when we drove in single lane split into 2. Guy took the right lane, we took the left. He then drifted in the middle driving through the middle of both lanes absolutely oblivious to it all.

When you get a car license, it should be compulsory to take a bike awareness course. In Perth bike riders get bad press due to a few idiots who do the wrong thing. Everytime a bike rider gets hit in Perth, FB lights up - "They should be banned", "You have kids - you're selfish to ride", "You're a temporary Australian if you ride" etc.

Rant for the day (my first cup of coffee went cold before I drank it so I'm cranky) Blah

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So glad you're ok Martin - all down to the expertise of the rider!

I refuse to ride to work on my bike because of bloody idiots on the road. I live rural so drive into town with lights on all the time. They don't see me in my car. Seriously - I drive a V6 with headlights on ALL the time!! They are far too busy texting on their bloody phones etc and just not paying attention to see a big arse car. Some of the worst drivers are actually young mums with kids in the cars - around my area they speed or just don't pay attention.

How are they going to see me on my bike? They turn in without indicating. Drift across lanes. Pull out of stop signs/side roads in front of me. This morning when we drove in single lane split into 2. Guy took the right lane, we took the left. He then drifted in the middle driving through the middle of both lanes absolutely oblivious to it all.

When you get a car license, it should be compulsory to take a bike awareness course. In Perth bike riders get bad press due to a few idiots who do the wrong thing. Everytime a bike rider gets hit in Perth, FB lights up - "They should be banned", "You have kids - you're selfish to ride", "You're a temporary Australian if you ride" etc.

Rant for the day (my first cup of coffee went cold before I drank it so I'm cranky) Blah

Totally with you, Karen. I do ride my bike daily and it does get tiresome. I know how to handle these drivers and I can avoid most bad scenarios, but there are just no guarantees.. we all accept certain amount of risk.

Like so many others who've taken up track riding, I would honestly consider giving up street bike all together (especially once my sports car arrives :rockon: ) .. but I will not. I need to own a motorcycle to coach MSF (my particular school requires it.. not a State requirement) and there's no way I'm giving that up. If I can help keep riders safe.. even if I only get through to one out of a 100, it's worth it :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, ya gotta watch big rigs, they will frequently swerve to the right some to prepare for their left hand turn. Always safest to never assume they're gonna do what it appears they're gonna do. I talk it he didn't use his signal? Grrrrrrrrr

Not just large vehicles, but any vehicles. Never assume that they are pulling over or turning right. This also applies to passing vehicles, they could be slowing down to turn left right at the same time you're directly beside them from a pass. You better make sure you have good intelligence in regards to where all of the entry and exit points are.

In heavy city traffic, this applies to whenever you start seeing gaps between vehicles whenever multiple lanes are involved. A clear indication that the drivers are trying to allow a vehicle through, which can create a fatal scenario if your travelling in the only lane that remains open and clear while you approach that entry/exit point. I see that developing all the time, and if I happen to be in that lane that is open and see that a vehicle is trying to cross, I have my horn blasting while I crawl through that entry point, causing the vehicle that is trying to cross over to completely stop in it's tracks even though I could have stopped. I'm trying to illustrate the point that the vehicles who created the gap and the driver who entered the gap created a very dangerous situation. They think they are doing a favor by letting a vehicle through, but not when there is another lane of traffic that is still open.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A few years ago that exact scenario happened around here. My wife drove by right after it occurred (inside lane stopped for a couple of motorcycles to turn, the outside lane didn't) and she saw two sheets on the road. This was around the same time I was trying to convince her I wanted to get back into riding. (I took a 30 year hiatus when we got married) It really shook her up but she finally relented. I know she worries each time I go out, but she knows how much I enjoy it. Like so many say, "Ride invisible".

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a guy drifting from right to left lane in front of me then when I changed lane he would drift the other way, just keeping his options open,
It happened twice then when he did his cut to the left again I'd already gone down a cog, gunned it swung across his tail, then right up past his drivers door, a blast of the stebel and I was gone
.....for about 1.5 km, then he decides to tail gait up to a set of lights.
i filtered past 6 or so cars but knew he was still just following... so I went a totally different way home for the last 2 kms.

Next time I'm just going to wait them out, let'em make up his/her mind and try to ride smarter. Just been reading too many posts about drops, near drops and close shaves. Sometimes I wish the invisibility cloak could be turned off or the proximity sensor turned on

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a guy drifting from right to left lane in front of me then when I changed lane he would drift the other way, just keeping his options open,
It happened twice then when he did his cut to the left again I'd already gone down a cog, gunned it swung across his tail, then right up past his drivers door, a blast of the stebel and I was gone
.....for about 1.5 km, then he decides to tail gait up to a set of lights.
i filtered past 6 or so cars but knew he was still just following... so I went a totally different way home for the last 2 kms.

Next time I'm just going to wait them out, let'em make up his/her mind and try to ride smarter. Just been reading too many posts about drops, near drops and close shaves. Sometimes I wish the invisibility cloak could be turned off or the proximity sensor turned on
Yeah sometimes these guys don't seem so crazy at all
ots-goldwing-light-9-parade-southport-ots-onthespot-ots-otsnews.co_.uk_0.jpg

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Without sounding like an old cruiser rider, loud pipes!

I really felt the difference before and after Leo Vince exhaust. Before no one would know i was there until they checked their rear view mirrors. Now, as soon as i approach behind a car most of them hear me, see me, and then go on the right side of the lane so i can overtake.

This adds a second point, cultural differences in the way people drive.

It seems in the US, where motorcycle are pretty much treated like an open top car (no filtering) people don't pay attention to motorcycles much.
Here in Belgium where there are a lot of motorcycles, and it is legal to filter everywhere (city, highway), legal to go to the top of the queue at lights, people are a lot more aware of bikers.

A huge percentage of cars will move out of the way to let a bike go, but they need to see you for that to happen, and IMO most cars will hear you before they see you.

Unfortunately both places have idiots on the phone...

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all your kind comments :thumbup: ,

........Here in Belgium where there are a lot of motorcycles, and it is legal to filter everywhere (city, highway), legal to go to the top of the queue at lights, people are a lot more aware of bikers.

A huge percentage of cars will move out of the way to let a bike go, but they need to see you for that to happen, and IMO most cars will hear you before they see you.

Unfortunately both places have idiots on the phone...

This is generally the case in Holland as well, but still I'm generally on the look out for cars that don't notice me. In this case the car pulled across really quickly, and really far which meant I could not use a quick acceleration to get out of the problem. It was a Sunday afternoon and it was good weather I should have been more aware that the traffic light is a junction of traffic going to the beach and I think as there was a lot of traffic in the distance on the continuing road that this guy thought at the last minute that he should take the alternative, quieter route (left turn). The guy was together with his wife and their dog in the back.

I think covering my horn was the best action I could have taken, and will be more aware in the future, thanks for your input guys :thumbup:.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whew! Sounds like a real "shorts changing" moment....and you got to kick a Jaguar to boot!
Seriously though, relieved you came out of that unscathed :hug:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah sometimes these guys don't seem so crazy at all
ots-goldwing-light-9-parade-southport-ots-onthespot-ots-otsnews.co_.uk_0.jpg

I have a neighbor with a trike with many more lights than this. We laugh at him whenever we see him ride it. But, he is probably better seen by cagers than we are. His headlights flash too. Hubby put LED headlights in his VFR. He adjusted the headlights on my Triumph up so better seen. Whatever it takes to be seen.

When I'm riding in a group, I always make sure I can fully pass a car (on a multi-lane road) before doing so. I hate getting stuck next to a cager. I'm always afraid the idiot will decide to change lanes into me. I do this when I'm driving my cage as well.

Also, I don't get how cagers don't see motorcycles. When I'm driving my cage, I see every single one. I usually try to guess what kind it is too. Except cruisers-who cares about them- but I still notice them. My son and I have an on going contest of "name that bike". I heard somewhere that parents should play a game like that instead of "slugbug" with their kids in the car to promote motorcycle awareness. It needs a catchy name....

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all your kind comments :thumbup: ,

This is generally the case in Holland as well, but still I'm generally on the look out for cars that don't notice me. In this case the car pulled across really quickly, and really far which meant I could not use a quick acceleration to get out of the problem. It was a Sunday afternoon and it was good weather I should have been more aware that the traffic light is a junction of traffic going to the beach and I think as there was a lot of traffic in the distance on the continuing road that this guy thought at the last minute that he should take the alternative, quieter route (left turn). The guy was together with his wife and their dog in the back.
I think covering my horn was the best action I could have taken, and will be more aware in the future, thanks for your input guys :thumbup:.

I am curious, since the driver was considerate enough to check on your condition, did he say why he didn't notice you? I have two teenage girls that I am teaching to drive and I am always reinforcing the awareness of motorcycles while driving. Situations develop very quickly and your reactions will determine the outcome. Glad to hear your OK. :thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am curious, since the driver was considerate enough to check on your condition, did he say why he didn't notice you? I have two teenage girls that I am teaching to drive and I am always reinforcing the awareness of motorcycles while driving. Situations develop very quickly and your reactions will determine the outcome. Glad to hear your OK. :thumbup:

He said he didn't see me but he didn't elaborate, and TBH I was just happy that everything was OK. I suspect he didn't check his mirrors/shoulder properly.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a neighbor with a trike with many more lights than this. We laugh at him whenever we see him ride it. But, he is probably better seen by cagers than we are. His headlights flash too. Hubby put LED headlights in his VFR. He adjusted the headlights on my Triumph up so better seen. Whatever it takes to be seen.

When I'm riding in a group, I always make sure I can fully pass a car (on a multi-lane road) before doing so. I hate getting stuck next to a cager. I'm always afraid the idiot will decide to change lanes into me. I do this when I'm driving my cage as well.

Also, I don't get how cagers don't see motorcycles. When I'm driving my cage, I see every single one. I usually try to guess what kind it is too. Except cruisers-who cares about them- but I still notice them. My son and I have an on going contest of "name that bike". I heard somewhere that parents should play a game like that instead of "slugbug" with their kids in the car to promote motorcycle awareness. It needs a catchy name....
Yeah when/if I have any kids they're going to be aware and hopefully riders themselves!

Maybe "First Sight Bike" or "Cycle Spotter" or something

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
So the same thing just happened to me Friday, except it was with an elderly man (handicapped sticker in the windshield) and resulted in quite a bit of road rage directed at me.

He tried to race ahead and merge into my space ahead of a construction zone - I honked and evaded as he bumped my right knee/foot with his door. Stayed up just fine, gunned the throttle and got ahead of him. Then it got weird.

He started tailgating me, honking and flipping the bird at me as he erratically drove behind me. I didn't think he would do anything else so I did my best to drive rationally with a lunatic behind me.

About a mile down the road, the light ahead was turning red - I had plenty of time to safely come to a stop, so I did - he squeeled the tires of his grand marquis as he came to a near stop a foot or so behind me, then gunned it around me, tearing through the red light - still honking and flipping me off. People nearby felt like telling me that I almost got hit - I appreciated the concern and let them know that I was well aware.

Instead of just letting him go (the smarter thing to do), I decided to follow him (at a safe distance) and wave at him whenever he stopped at a light, it happened he was going most of the way to my house so I enjoyed pestering him for another five minutes - enjoying every brake check and middle finger I received.

So yeah - that was a fun ride home from work!