so whats wores than a broken clutch cable?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbdown:

Ok so I broke a clutch cable tonight, big deal, what could be worse......

alright I'm filtering in traffic..........

I'm about to go down a cog and jump ahead as the light changes.......

I pull the clutch and..............

nothin'...........

uh oh......

Ive slowed down too much and the motor starts to hunt and I'm looking for the safest way out.....

Oh I forgot to mention its night and peak hour traffic, and its the heaviest rain we have seen yet this year.....

I moved into the left lane proper as the car in front turns left, (remember this is in Aust, so we drive on the left)... I give it enough gas to go through the intersection and pull up onto a drive way....

what do i do now I cant really stop smoothly........

hit the kill switch, which I never do!

pull up. its bucketing, I stop get off and push the bike onto the footpath......

WHAT TO DO?.....

have a look and sure enough the cable has broken about 2 inches from the top end.
go to the nearest treadly shop and get 4 feet of cable and 3 feet of outer.

The guy there remembers me from a bike shop I frequented over ten years ago- amazing!
I go back to the bike and one end of the outer was badly cut, couldn't feed the cable through, so I reckon I'll just use the original outer.....
cable goes as far as the mid adjuster and stops.

The other thing I'll throw in here is that I left my glasses at work and can barely see the end of the outer, and its still pissing down and I am parked in front of a dress shop and the ladies are giving me shady looks!

Back to the bike shop and get them to re cut the end. feed the cable thru, we are nearly there!

get back to the bike do the top end feed the cable across the top of the motor and there is nothing for the outer to butt up against, so I wont be able to apply any tension, what to do?
I have a solid little tube that my ear plugs are in, attached to my key ring perfect it"ll have to do- it works, the pliers I have in my tool kit are just big enough for me to get tension so the clutch will work, wrap the cable around the lever, tie it off and we have a ****ty short clutch lever but enough to start and move through the gears.
The rain is still coming down like cats n dogs, I reckon I deserve a beer...

I get to the local supermarket for a 6 pack- THEY HAVE DELETED MY BRAND-thats what is worse than a broken clutch cable!
......She had one stubby-and it was warm!

Could be worse,

lesson learned: good to have a tool kit, good to have a cable inner, always keep the fridge stocked!
cheers, thanks for reading

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you made it home safe! Lucky you had a shop close to get a cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah thanks Joe and Cliff, hoping I can get a new proper cable tomorrow, I have the real emergency ride home version now looks a treat I reckon, but got me here.

all the more reason to get to know a bit about how your bike works, I coulda been totally stuffed without a bit of mechanical knowledge,
might not know lots, but enough to get thru this one!

Last edited:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Heck of an adventure! Nice one for rigging up a fix on the road.

I'm surprised the clutch didn't feel a bit off before it snapped. I just replaced mine again this spring.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done mate,
I had the exact thing happen to me a few years back ,filtering,peak morning rush and coming up to a very busy intersection and lights went red.
I feel your pain.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pleased you managed to save it Ade, at the traffic lights that sounds really dodgy :eek:
But that beer bit really sucks.

I've had a similar thing happen to me several years ago, the cable didn't break but frayed in a way that it didn't work anymore.

I was actually entering the naval base and I pulled in my clutch to change down whilst approaching the security guard on the gate (to stop and show him my pass), but nothing happened. My bike just kept trundling on, luckily I braked enough and the entrance is on a hill so that helped slow me down as well so the engine stalled :thumbup: I was also lucky that there was no car infront of me at the gate as there are several permanent structures to stop any would be terrorists forcing their way in. Even on a bike I don't think I could have avoided a car that had stopped in front of me. Oh and I was also lucky that I could stop before running over the armed guard and getting shot in the process :eek:

Oh and they didn't have beer at my work either :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't like others messing with beer, either. Some things one just shouldn't mess with unless one is absolutely SURE that no beer drinkers will take offense. Boy, last time I broke a clutch cable was on a 1971 Honda CB350 and it happened in hilly San Francisco. Fortunately, it happened in wee-hours of the night so I made it back home w/o major probs.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't like others messing with beer, either. Some things one just shouldn't mess with unless one is absolutely SURE that no beer drinkers will take offense. Boy, last time I broke a clutch cable was on a 1971 Honda CB350 and it happened in hilly San Francisco. Fortunately, it happened in wee-hours of the night so I made it back home w/o major probs.

Same same... ^^^
Friends at Hood River Distilleries messed me over... Why take a away a perfect blend??!! Full Sale, Amber Ale

J

jesse_sanders

I like reading these types of deals. Just in case this happens to me I'll remember reading this and be less clueless.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbdown:
I get to the local supermarket for a 6 pack- THEY HAVE DELETED MY BRAND-thats what is worse than a broken clutch cable!
......She had one stubby-and it was warm!

Could be worse,

Heads should roll!

Great story mate and a nice on the road MacGyver repair.