Car made a left turn in front of me..

GhengisT

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I was on my way to work a few days ago, riding my normal route. There's a few miles of hillside road that I usually run through on the way to work. Just got done changing my fork springs a couple days before and enjoying the increased front end response.

As I exited the last turn of the hillside road, I entered into a nice two or three mile straight away. Cruising down this stretch of straight-away, there was a car waiting to make a left turn in the opposing lane. I could tell the driver was debating the distance as I covered the front brake lever about 60 ft out. The car then stopped, so I felt safe continuing forward. As I approached 20ft or so of the opposing car, he decided to go for the turn, leaving me about 10 to 15 ft of braking distance.

I grabbed a handful of front brake, skidding across a front-wheel mounted Dunlop Q3. Although I managed to shave off a ton of speed in a very controlled upright slide, I was headed towards the rear passenger-side quarter panel of their car. There was another car behind him waiting to turn, so going to the left of the driver wasn't an option. Going to the right, wasn't an option either, since they were already moving through the turn.

The front right headlight on my FZ6 made contact with the rear passenger quarter panel of the turning car. My FZ6 and I ricocheted off and past the vehicle, to the right side of the road and down in a nice patch of dirt in front of a fence.

My right side absorbed all of the impact, bent my right handle bar. Sheered off my right headlight and fairing assembly. The bike held up very well, minus a slight bend in the fork assembly. I was able to ride it home after the exchange of information with the other driver. Pumped w/ adrenaline, I still went into work after cleaning the wound running down my right leg. The next day, had to call out due to stiffness and limited movement.

Could have been much worse and I'm thankful that I was able to walk away with minor injury. Bike is currently sitting at the shop awaiting inspection by the other party's insurance. I'm a bit saddened by the fact that I had the bike dialed in and all mods were done. I had scheduled a track day in a few weeks as well. Guess I'll have to wait until I get my next bike.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What a shame since you did a great job of identifying the vehicle that put you in harms way.

What I usually do in this situation is slow down, cover both brakes and cover my horn and possibly adjust my position within the lane that could possibly give me some more real estate in the event they make the turn. Also practicing your emergency braking on a regular basis will prevent you from grabbing a handful of front brakes and low siding. Quick stop require muscle memory. Applying the correct amount of pressure on your braking levers. Your natural instinct is to grab or slam, which is okay in a car but not on a bike. Technically, if you did not hit the vehicle, the damages and insurance is on you, not the other party. But they could be cited. But there is a good side to this story, there was contact with the vehicle and sounds like you escaped serious injuries since you were able to walk away, but I would still see a doctor.

Another technique is called the Smidsy technique. Weaving quickly within your lane to become more visible to the other driver, rather than being a stagnant object may have prevented the left turn but not guaranteed.

All riders must understand that it's very difficult for other drivers to judge the oncoming speed of a motorcyclist. The size of a car or truck will get larger as they get closer to you, but for a motorcycle, the size remains relatively the same which is why so many decide to take the turn even if they see the motorcyclist.

Last edited:

petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
I encounter this on an almost daily basis. Here in SoCal I am thankful that many drivers are aware of motorcycles (I attribute that to the lane splitting law) but more to VegasRider's point I flash my brights, tap the horn and am ready to weave (which has saved my a$$ on multiple occasions ). I just assume that the Cagers will automatically go in front of me. I do practice swerves on closed lots. But I am especially aware during rain. That's the equivalent of snow and blizzard elsewhere.

Glad to hear that you're ok. While it may hurt you that your bike was damaged, I'd be more happy about the fact that you'll ride again. Maybe it's a sad indictment of other drivers. But I'll take whatever I can get in situations like that. Be safe and good luck with the insurance co's. You'll need it.

GhengisT

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
What a shame since you did a great job of identifying the vehicle that put you in harms way.

Thanks for the reply Vegas. Good tips as there is always room for improvement in motorcycling skills. I regularly practice emergency stops (and stoppies Blah ). In this scenario, I held as far left in my lane as possible, hoping to wedge between the turning car, and the second car waiting in the turn lane. Didn't quite make it.

Reflecting on the situation- where I let my guard down was allowing myself to believe that the other driver saw me. My high-beam is always on, it was day light out, about an hour after sunrise, and my jacket has a large 4" wide reflective strip that runs across the chest, arms, and back. I also wear a bright silver tribal design helmet. It was a two lane road, and no other traffic except the car behind the driver that was turning. I was purely in plain sight.

The driver was young, probably just earned his license and in my experience, cage drivers aren't accustomed to look for motorcyclists. They're generally only scanning for other cars. Lesson learned :spank:

GhengisT

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I encounter this on an almost daily basis. Here in SoCal I am thankful that many drivers are aware of motorcycles (I attribute that to the lane splitting law) but more to VegasRider's point I flash my brights, tap the horn and am ready to weave (which has saved my a$$ on multiple occasions ). I just assume that the Cagers will automatically go in front of me. I do practice swerves on closed lots. But I am especially aware during rain. That's the equivalent of snow and blizzard elsewhere.

Glad to hear that you're ok. While it may hurt you that your bike was damaged, I'd be more happy about the fact that you'll ride again. Maybe it's a sad indictment of other drivers. But I'll take whatever I can get in situations like that. Be safe and good luck with the insurance co's. You'll need it.

Thanks PeterGreko- I'm a little further north in SoCal, but orginally from Ventura, CA. I've done my fair share of LA & San Diego commutes. Being in Orange County, I think you have it worse in terms of cyclist observation. Santa Barbara is a very 2-wheel oriented county, lots of college students riding scooters, moto, and bicycles. As always keep that rubber-side down and an eye out for the un-ruly cage-driver.

The shop manager said my FZ6 will be deemed total-loss by insurance due to the frame scratches alone which doesn't bother me as long as they cough up the $$$. I've got my heart set on a KTM Duke 690 (w/ ABS) and this might just put me in the position to buy it out-right.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also slow when I see the possibility of being cut off. There's a left hand que where cars always try to make a left right before my home street and I always flash my hi beams to try and get attention. I know the one thing that will get me through a possible cut off is to slow to a speed that I feel gives me more options whether it's braking or finding a hole.

Good that you seem to be relatively unharmed! :)

As experienced as I get, there's always something new a cage will try to teach me.:eek:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! Glad it wasn't worse! Never trust a car driver. If they look like they are turning in my path I have no problems blaring the horn and braking down to 20 mph until I'm sure they aren't as stupid as they appear.

I would have exchanged more than insurance information with this driver! Choice words at least. blows at worst! :spank:

Fix her up! Hope insurance gets you even nicer forks!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your walking - hope you're mending properly and all is well in a few weeks.

Like those above, I generally swerve a lot in my lane to allow varying angles of the headlamps to stray their way. I'm Hoping they see me, but not expecting they do.

I guess I have some fear that flashing the HB's (which I do do sometimes), may send the wrong messages "LIKE GO! Its fine!!". Bike is an 08, stock lighting w/ dual HL mod.

Get well!

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I could tell the driver was debating the distance as I covered the front brake lever about 60 ft out. The car then stopped, so I felt safe continuing forward. As I approached 20ft or so of the opposing car, he decided to go for the turn, leaving me about 10 to 15 ft of braking distance.

Reflecting on the situation- where I let my guard down was allowing myself to believe that the other driver saw me. Lesson learned :spank:

So what did he have to say for himself afterwards? He didn't see you? :spank:
I'm sorry you went down and very thankful you weren't hurt worse.

Last edited:

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're able to walk away, that's the best part. Unfortunately, as others note earlier, it can be very difficult for cagers to judge distance and speed, you have to make the assumption that they will mis-judgw. Be as ready as you can

There are a variety of ways to mitigate, including weaving, using high beams or suspiciously bright headlights (who, me?), truck horns (again, not me :rockon:) to try to get their attention.

The bike can be fixed, doesn't sound too bad, hopefully never again

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
.....and sometimes, its just size that gives the cars and trucks the advantage.
This morning the driver of a smallish covered truck ( food delivery) looked me in the eye as he decided to cut across my bow, despite a larger space behind me than in front.
Pure selfishness and disregard. Of course I yielded, what other option can I pursue

good luck with insurance and I'm glad you walked away!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
.....and sometimes, its just size that gives the cars and trucks the advantage.
This morning the driver of a smallish covered truck ( food delivery) looked me in the eye as he decided to cut across my bow, despite a larger space behind me than in front.
Pure selfishness and disregard. Of course I yielded, what other option can I pursue

good luck with insurance and I'm glad you walked away!

Options include but are not limited too "A Living Hood Ornament!!!" :don'tknow::eek::eek:

FWIW and IME; in these parts, if the oncoming traffic turning before you has roots in the Trucking Industry - those folks take "FLASHING HB's as CLEAR TO MANEUVER THEIR VEHICLE INTO YOUR LANE!!" Be Careful folks - they don't drive big rigs everyday everywhere.....

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A karma moment is what I would hope for, the driver to come back to a flat tyre or three, sadly it was a plain wrap truck so no-one to report driver conduct to, but I'm still here and thats what counts

GhengisT

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
FWIW and IME; in these parts, if the oncoming traffic turning before you has roots in the Trucking Industry - those folks take "FLASHING HB's as CLEAR TO MANEUVER THEIR VEHICLE INTO YOUR LANE!!" Be Careful folks - they don't drive big rigs everyday everywhere.....

This is very true for those of you that flash your high-beams at truckers. My dad & girlfriend's dad both drive semi-trucks for a living. Flashing your high-beams at them is the universal symbol for "proceed with your maneuver/go for it"

GhengisT

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Update: Bike is totaled due to frame damages (scratches really), which I assumed. Front forks are bent, but very slightly. Insurance company is going to pay me a tiny bit more than what I bought it for, out the door. No complaints.

The other party's insurance is waiting on the observation of a witness, who they have been unable to reach. Witness was driving the lexus behind the car that turned in front of me. It's at the request of the kid's father, so I hear. That Lexus could have damn well been part of this accident had I chosen to swerve left into her hood, but even mid-stoppie, aimed for the pocket between the two cars.

In CA, I'm almost certain the fact that I had the right-away, i.e. no intersection or stop sign where the accident occurred and wasn't speeding acquits my liability. What a pain dealing w/ this stuff, I just want to get my bike and get on with my life.