Close call last Sunday

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last Sunday (sorry been too busy/lazy to post it until now :spank:) I went for a short ride out, anyway only 10 minutes down the road I had a close call :eek:. The road split from 1 lane into 2 (in my direction), this was prior to a traffic light. Anyway I took the (newly formed) left hand lane, There was a car in the right hand lane which I had been paying attention to, and leaving him room if he was to move out, anyway he didn't indicate or show any signs of moving over, so I continued past him. At the last minute, when I was about level with the back of the drivers door he swerved into my lane :eek:.

Everything happened really quickly and I pulled my leg up (being afraid he would trap it between his car and my bike) I braked and moved over to the left hand side, anyway he still didn't notice me and was still coming across. I couldn't ride into the median as there were several road signs close to my side of the road.At this stage I kicked my boot just above his rear wheel arch which both warned the driver (who still hadn't noticed) and helped me keep my distance from the back of his car (he was mm's from my bike). My bike moved over a couple of inches, and as I was still breaking I just cleared the rear of his car before he was totally on the lhs of the lane. I managed to bring the bike safely to a standstill, with my wheels outside the white line marking the verge, and still just on the tarmac.

The car driver had heard my boot hitting his car and brought his car to a standstill, a bit further down the road. Anyway he emerged with a shocked expression on his face, as he had realised what had happened, he walked back to me to check if I was OK. I was more amazed that I didn't have a scratch on me or the bike. The guy had a black boot scuff just above the rear wheel arch, but as he was driving a pretty solid car (Jaguar) he didn't even have a dent.
After many appologies and after checking both vehicles we both continued on our way, but I must admit I was a bit shook up, it could have ended much worse, luckily my guardian angel had been sitting on my shoulder :thumbup:

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
glad youre ok Martin, its a battlefield out there!

the cagers dont care very much, sadly, glad you had one that was apologetic for his actions and maybe it has saved a future brother or sister from a fate we never want to contemplate.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes Martin! Glad it didn't end worse than that. Did you have your horn button covered or did it happen so fast you didn't get a chance to use it?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Almost every day I want to kick a cage with my boot - but I'm glad it hasn't come to that yet. Sounds pretty sketchy - glad you kicked the fender and not the wheel itself!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes Martin! Glad it didn't end worse than that. Did you have your horn button covered or did it happen so fast you didn't get a chance to use it?
+ I always have the horn button at the ready when passing many cars, I would have tried this first for sure but glad you're ok!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Glad you came through it without a scratch, Martin! As Joe asked, were you covering the horn.. were you able to get on the horn before resorting to the *boot* technique?

Also, how quickly were you passing him? I know you know all of this, but it helps to minimize the time in driver's blind spot.. so get close to the left part of the lane.. if the car appears to be holding its lane.. no signs of shifting.. pass briskly with as much space as possible (meaning.. move well over to the left side of the left lane as you pass).

I was in a similar situation not to long ago. I was on a 3-lane road, in the left lane. The lady in the right lane shot across TWO lanes into me. This is the only time I can think of when I did not anticipate it (lesson learned.. can never stop assuming people will do the most unimaginable, stupid move).. I had to move over onto the white line, while on the horn and braking.. she came within about a foot of me. She STILL never saw me and continued on her way in left lane going WAY slower than the rest of the traffic in the passing lane.

The stop and apology thing you described.. I don't see that happening in the states :( .. heck, you may get punched or shot for putting your boot on someone's car.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Good save!

I always have the horn covered when passing cars and sometimes even give a short (friendly) warning beep as I'm overtaking them.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Joe this was the most logical action, but I'm embarrassed to say I didn't, I was definately not riding defensively :spank: ride like you're invisible.

Almost every day I want to kick a cage with my boot - but I'm glad it hasn't come to that yet. Sounds pretty sketchy - glad you kicked the fender and not the wheel itself!
I agree this is not the preferred method of dealing with such a case, so no I don't recommend it, but at the time my leg was up and I was concentrating on staying upright, it seem to be the right thing to do, and it seemed to go in slow mo and I hit the spot I was aiming for, but it could have been very different.

Glad you came through it without a scratch, Martin! As Joe asked, were you covering the horn.. were you able to get on the horn before resorting to the *boot* technique?

Also, how quickly were you passing him? I know you know all of this, but it helps to minimize the time in driver's blind spot.. so get close to the left part of the lane.. if the car appears to be holding its lane.. no signs of shifting.. pass briskly with as much space as possible (meaning.. move well over to the left side of the left lane as you pass).

I was in a similar situation not to long ago. I was on a 3-lane road, in the left lane. The lady in the right lane shot across TWO lanes into me. This is the only time I can think of when I did not anticipate it (lesson learned.. can never stop assuming people will do the most unimaginable, stupid move).. I had to move over onto the white line, while on the horn and braking.. she came within about a foot of me. She STILL never saw me and continued on her way in left lane going WAY slower than the rest of the traffic in the passing lane.

The stop and apology thing you described.. I don't see that happening in the states :( .. heck, you may get punched or shot for putting your boot on someone's car.

It wasn't very fast, maybe about 60KM/h but there was no way out, the whole thing was probably over in a couple of seconds, but I can remember it blow by blow. Yes the horn was the smart thing to do, but I didn't have it covered and in the heat of things I was more concentrated on saving the bike. You're right about the blind spot, but I'd also changed my position in the lane to check he could see, I had already seen the possibility of him changing lanes, but you're right covering your horn is the right thing to do.
Luckily guns are illegal here, especially if carried in the car, and I agree annoying someone who's in a car is not a smart move, but it seemed to be the right thing at that time :eek:.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In the heat of the moment, I probably would have done the same. As I read your post, I didn't see the horn mentioned and it caught my attention. Again, glad you made it out safe.

ACME_Rocket

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow what a day last Sunday was
I also had a close call and have not had a chance to post

I was on the way to my Dads house to meet up for a ride
It was a 20 mile ride on country roads
About half way there after topping a steep hill was going about 75 MPH or so not looking at speed open flat rode
I cold see an oncoming truck about 200 yards done the road and it look he was slowing done
I also got off the gas and let the engine slow me down and covered barks
I was down to about 50 MPH and a 2 car length away when truck
He pulled to the right of his lane and I thought he was pulling off to the right
I went to proceeded past at current seep when he turd left in-front of me
I slammed on barks and locked the bake brake up
This happen so fast I am not not fully sure ever step next
I could see I could not stop in time even if I lade it down I was going hit this truck
I slowly let off back brake without high siding it and quickly swerved around the bake of the truck
My mirror came withing an inch or two of his tale light

I never had time to hit my horn however looking back if I did he my have stopped and not giving me room behind to pass
However I will definitely slow more when approaching questionable situations
I horn beep to make them aware your you before he had time to turn may have also help
Any other suggestions?

Now for the good news after I got to my Dads and stopped shaking
I got back on and went on a good 200 mile ride with no more problems
Good day that could have goon very bad

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any other suggestions?

Yes.. going up a hill is no different than approaching a curve.
What should you do with your speed as you approach a blind curve? Same goes for hills.
Besides that.. always assume in any questionable situation that other road users will do the WORST possible thing, not the best.
Giving your horn a quick press would have been wise way before the truck did anything *wrong*. However you still can't count on the horn to make the other driver do the right thing.. so continuing to slow down would have been wise.
You also mentioned you used engine braking to slow down from 75 to 50. Did you touch your brakes at all at that point? If not, how would the vehicles behind you know you were slowing down?

Last question: have you taken a MSF course? (BRC or BRC2)

Be safe and never stop learning! :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're okay brother Martin!
I sometimes blip my horn in traffic. There are those times you end up with a driver that has nothing to do with where they're at and you must use all of your focus on avoiding contact in the immediate moment. I like the idea of the horn used as a tool ahead of a possible event. Every time I've ever had an experience with a cage there was no time for the horn and all of my effort was toward avoiding contact. :)

I have to admit there was one time my boot scuff mark would not have been on the car! :eek::spank:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
In America we are too afraid to use our horns because 99% of the time you hear a horn it's someone displaying their displeasure with the way someone else is driving. In many countries the horns is always used to alert other drivers to your presence when overtaking another vehicle.

Cages may not see us but they can hear us (if you have a loud horn!)

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
He pulled to the right of his lane and I thought he was pulling off to the right
I went to proceeded past at current seep when he turd left in-front of me

Yeah, ya gotta watch big rigs, they will frequently swerve to the right some to prepare for their left hand turn. Always safest to never assume they're gonna do what it appears they're gonna do. I talk it he didn't use his signal? Grrrrrrrrr

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
In America we are too afraid to use our horns because 99% of the time you hear a horn it's someone displaying their displeasure with the way someone else is driving. In many countries the horns is always used to alert other drivers to your presence when overtaking another vehicle.

Cages may not see us but they can hear us (if you have a loud horn!)

This!

I almost never honked my horn (in my cage) until I spent 4 months living in West Africa - horns are used there so much more than here, and it worked.

When I got back I found myself using my horn a lot more, and I continue to - If I do something stupid I want someone to honk at me - lets me know they're paying attention too!

(last week I may have filtered a bit of traffic at a light and got a couple of honks - sure, it was displeasure, but I used it as sonar so I knew how wide the lane was :) )

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
This!

I almost never honked my horn (in my cage) until I spent 4 months living in West Africa - horns are used there so much more than here, and it worked.

When I got back I found myself using my horn a lot more, and I continue to - If I do something stupid I want someone to honk at me - lets me know they're paying attention too!

(last week I may have filtered a bit of traffic at a light and got a couple of honks - sure, it was displeasure, but I used it as sonar so I knew how wide the lane was :) )

If someone honks at me in displeasure, most of the time it's because they were driving like crap and I decided to safely pass them. I usually give them a big thumbs up after they honk at me :thumbup:. It really confuses them.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok!

The same thing happened to someone i know on the highway doing 120km/h, he was riding next to a car, car didn't see him, changed lane, took him out.
He slid a lot, broke a leg, and totaled his bike...

This is why i never, EVER ride at the same level as a car, always behind or in front, and i always overtake quickly if i can.

Regarding the horn, IMO cars are pretty oblivious to it anyway, i will really only use mine in low risk situations, like someone not paying attention to a light going green, or something like that.

If i feel that someone is not seeing me and i am in danger, i just do a good old rev bomb, it really works a lot better than the horn and your hand is already on the throttle.

(I know this sounds a bit squiddy, but i don't do that on a regular basis, just in emergency situations. Only had to do it twice in a year!)

ACME_Rocket

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes.. going up a hill is no different than approaching a curve.
What should you do with your speed as you approach a blind curve? Same goes for hills.
Besides that.. always assume in any questionable situation that other road users will do the WORST possible thing, not the best.
Giving your horn a quick press would have been wise way before the truck did anything *wrong*. However you still can't count on the horn to make the other driver do the right thing.. so continuing to slow down would have been wise.
You also mentioned you used engine braking to slow down from 75 to 50. Did you touch your brakes at all at that point? If not, how would the vehicles behind you know you were slowing down?

Last question: have you taken a MSF course? (BRC or BRC2)

Be safe and never stop learning! :thumbup:

Eric
Thanks for your input
Yes I have taken BRC and this situation wold have been a lot worse without the Knowledge from the Coarse
After I topped the hill there was a 200 yard straight away before I encountered the truck
I assumed he had saw me and that was a big mistake
I ride in areas with high bike traffic cagers are respectful and aware so I stop expecting the WORST at the wrong time
And last point when I was engine braking as taught in BRC check mirrors and road was clear behind so I did not flash brakes however always flashing brakes when slowing a great habit

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Eric
Thanks for your input
Yes I have taken BRC and this situation wold have been a lot worse without the Knowledge from the Coarse
After I topped the hill there was a 200 yard straight away before I encountered the truck
I assumed he had saw me and that was a big mistake
I ride in areas with high bike traffic cagers are respectful and aware so I stop expecting the WORST at the wrong time
And last point when I was engine braking as taught in BRC check mirrors and road was clear behind so I did not flash brakes however always flashing brakes when slowing a great habit

This is what my instructor told me when i passed my license, great tip!

"Ride as if you where invisible, and as if everybody on the road was blind, deaf and stupid. Always assume they are going to do the stupidest thing they could do at any given time!"

One thing to add about flashing brakes, is keep the brakes on when standing at a light or if stopped for any reason.
I see a lot of bikers sitting at the lights with both feet on the floor and not applying the brakes, this IMO really increases your chances of not being seen and being rear ended. I always step on the rear brake when stopped and waiting anywhere. Pretty much the only thing i use the rear brake for!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always step on the rear brake when stopped and waiting anywhere. Pretty much the only thing i use the rear brake for!

Yup! (thought front works just as well for this). Also, as I see the car approach from behind, I tape it a few times. Flashing light is better than steady light.