State Farm Insurance Beware

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just found out that they do not cover gear, except for your helmet.

I had a co-worker who was involved in a crash and he was insured with State Farm. Historically, I have stuck with State Farm for decades because every crash thread I have read, everyone got paid quickly including their mods, with very little hassle and no receipts. If you have Comprehensive and Collision, anything attached to the bike is covered. Saddle bags, pipes, custom seat, windscreen, etc. But not your gear. With my FZ6 being an '06 with 93k miles, my gear is now worth more than my bike. I must now re-evaluate whether I should switch to an insurance company that covers gear as long as my FZ is my primary bike.

On a promising note, I did ask for them to quote me what it would cost to insure my new motorcycle that I am planning to get next year, a 2013 or 2014 Ducati Multistrada. Full coverage, $262 a year!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you find an insurance company that covers more than State Farm, please let us know! I've been a huge fan/customer since 1985, and they've always been there for me (including a couple questionable spots).
If I crashed tomorrow and they didn't pay for my 3-year old $250 jacket, 6-year old $50 gloves, new $80 MC jeans, and new $200 BMW boots, but paid for everything else (including my new Schuberth helmet) I don't feel I could complain much.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Shoei Qwest with Graphic with tinted blue visor $650, Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar with Quad Armor and extra reflective material $750, Motoport Kevlar Racing Glove $200, Jacket can vary pending riding season but I'm currently wearing a $400 Yamaha Leather jacket with armor, and I have the BMW Sport Dry Boots $350.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He rides a cruiser and had his chaps, leather jacket and helmet on. Minor road rash and that's about it. Bikes totaled. He was on a motorcycle trip to Montana and crashed about 150 miles away from Boise, near Sun Valley.

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
I have progressive and yes they cover your gear as long as it is designed for motorcycles. I had a accident a few years ago and they covered my helmet gloves and jacket but not my jeans because they were not riding jeans.

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
That's good to know. I never thought of gear as also being covered by some but not all.

Not to thread jack, but make sure you get a chance to test ride a Multistrada. On paper it looked perfect for me, but then I test rode it and really didn't like it. The engine is very vibey (tractor like) and the frame was not confidence inspiring in the turns. Oh and if I didn't like it, my girlfriend hated it and told me she couldn't wait for the test ride to be over. I also had a chance to test ride the GT1000 that same day and that was even worse.

The only positive that day is I got to try a Tiger 1050. The triple was so much more fun than the Multi's v-twin. I ended up buying one to replace the Yamaha, but long story short, I sold the Tiger 8 months later when I lost confidence with all the mechanical issues I had with it. I guess I've gotten spoiled with how reliable our FZ6 is.

Moral to the story, test ride as many bikes as you can before you pull the trigger.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is good food for thought. State Farm have always been good to me in the past, and I hadn't thought of the cost of replacing gear, as mine's not very expensive (yet). Thanks for the heads up.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
My gear is only worth about $400 combined. And if it is all damaged I will have bigger problems than my gear!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's good to know. I never thought of gear as also being covered by some but not all.

Not to thread jack, but make sure you get a chance to test ride a Multistrada. On paper it looked perfect for me, but then I test rode it and really didn't like it. The engine is very vibey (tractor like) and the frame was not confidence inspiring in the turns. Oh and if I didn't like it, my girlfriend hated it and told me she couldn't wait for the test ride to be over.

Moral to the story, test ride as many bikes as you can before you pull the trigger.

I never test rode the FZ.

Thanks for your honesty. You are the very first person that I have encountered that did not like the bike or it's handling. I've been researching and doing my homework about this bike for over two years. Fortunately, I do not have to factor in the passengers point of view, since 99% of my ride is one up.

I generally do not like demos or test rides, because it's so damn depressing going back to the FZ. I had an opportunity to test ride a BMW 1000rr for a couple of hours. My FZ felt like a mini bike after that. Never want to experience that feeling again.

SAAVA

Reaction score
Visit site
You're right about the FZ feeling like a mini bike after the 1000rr. I was grinning ear to ear after a test ride, but I thought I wouldn't have any knees or back or a valid driver license if I ever owned one! It was a beautiful in its singularity of purpose and execution.

Funny story is my friend and I that same day also tried the f650gs, f800gs and the 1200gs. I thought the f800gs was the most fun of the three, but we each hated the f650gs. It lacked any visceral charm. The funny part is that each one of us preferred our own bikes and my friend rides a 1979 KZ650!

Don't mean to change your mind, but just giving my opinion. You might love it and think I am full of it. As an aside, right now of all the bikes I've test rode and researched, I'd probably buy a 2012+ DL650.

I never test rode the FZ.

Thanks for your honesty. You are the very first person that I have encountered that did not like the bike or it's handling. I've been researching and doing my homework about this bike for over two years. Fortunately, I do not have to factor in the passengers point of view, since 99% of my ride is one up.

I generally do not like demos or test rides, because it's so damn depressing going back to the FZ. I had an opportunity to test ride a BMW 1000rr for a couple of hours. My FZ felt like a mini bike after that. Never want to experience that feeling again.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Being that it's going to be a 25k bike, I will most likely test ride it, but I doubt anything on the ride will make me change my mind. It's got to ride better than the FZ.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You kind've got me to wondering: in a car accident, do any insurance companies pay for your ripped/bloody/burned clothing and shoes? :confused:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You kind've got me to wondering: in a car accident, do any insurance companies pay for your ripped/bloody/burned clothing and shoes? :confused:

I don't know, I don't own a car. But there are certain insurance companies that will cover for gear. What about a child seat? Is that covered if it gets damaged?

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have State Farm. Bike, auto, and home owners. The bike insurance covers the bike of course, but my home owners covers the gear. Head to toe.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
I have State Farm. Bike, auto, and home owners. The bike insurance covers the bike of course, but my home owners covers the gear. Head to toe.

Only problem with relying on that, is that you are responsible for your deductible under the homeowner's policy. Better to just have gear coverage on your bike policy.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

Assuming the gear is in your home or yard when it gets damaged or stolen, yes. they will laugh at you if you make a claim for damages that occurred off of your property. :thumbup: