State Farm Insurance Beware

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have all of my insurance needs covered by State Farm. Home, auto, motorcycle, and life insurance. In my situation they are the best fit for my family and I. They offer the best service and price for the coverage I want. Trust me I've shopped around a few times over the years trying to find cheaper coverage... While I've been able to find "cheaper" coverage I have never been able to find a company that offers what State Farm does with the customer service, products and coverage at the price they offer. But again I combine all my insurance needs with one company. I do not want to pay three or four different companies trying to get some cut rate insurance. One stop shop with State Farm has over the years served us well. I must say the "value added" products and service is why I've been with them for over 25 years.

Only problem with relying on that, is that you are responsible for your deductible under the homeowner's policy. Better to just have gear coverage on your bike policy.

Relying on it? Of course I rely on it! I absolutely depend on it in case of an accident! Why else would I be paying for it? Maybe for certain people and situations just having cheap, minimum, etc. insurance is fine, but to blanket statement "better to just have gear coverage on you bike policy" is inaccurate. Especially if it is covered by another policy you may already have?! Why pay for double coverage? The policy holder must verify.

I have a $500 homeowners deductible. Had the policy since 1988. After my wife and I hit a deer and were lucky enough to get away with our lives, I was advised by my agent to claim all the riding gear on our homeowners and we did, most of our gear was trashed after the accident. (I was ignorant to the fact that my motorcycle policy with them did not cover gear because I did not request it, but my homeowners did!). However, two helmets, two leather jackets, pants, boots and gloves were all covered by the homeowners. I do not know what jurisdiction or local laws you have but here in York, Pa, that's how it worked for us. When you sit down with your agent why wouldn't you ask and make sure what is and what isn't covered by your policy/policies. Just after the accident, which was back in 2000, I educated myself so from then on I knew exactly what I was paying for and what coverage I was receiving.

Assuming the gear is in your home or yard when it gets damaged or stolen, yes. they will laugh at you if you make a claim for damages that occurred off of your property. :thumbup:

No assuming. It is written in my home owners policy and in my case you assumed wrong. And no they didn't laugh at either my wife or I. Again, this goes back to knowing whats in you policy and what is and is not covered. My State Farm agent Steve Hornish was very sympathetic and helpful. Again, knowing you policy is your responsibility. If you try to claim something not covered, hopefully they won't laugh at you, but advise you what your policy does indeed cover. Buying insurance is a personal "investment" per say. It ranks just under having a family, a house and belongings. Ignorance on the policy holder is not the fault of the insurance company. We all know insurance companies are in the business for one thing. TO MAKE MONEY. So if they can make money off of our ignorance they will!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well my coworker got his check from State Farm yesterday, took about a 7-10 days. It covered the cost of the bike plus his accessories, items that were attached to the bike. Considering he paid $3500 for the bike and got $5500, he is happy.

Things that I would like to see State Farm include:

1. Medical coverage, similar to the medical option you can purchase for vehicles. You and any passenger injured in a crash, you are covered. They don't offer that for motorcyclist, even though certain companies do. I have asked State Farm to offer medical, even if the premium is outrages, at least offer it and let the rider decide whether they want it or not.

2. No discount for taking a motorcycle awareness/safety class. Other insurance companies offer 10-30% discount off their premium for one year.

If your gear is covered under the home owners insurance, that's great assuming that someone owns a home. It is not covered under the renters insurance. I have purchased just about every policy that you can buy with State Farm, and ironically nothing covers my gear, except for the helmet.

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have purchased just about every policy that you can buy with State Farm, and ironically nothing covers my gear, except for the helmet.

That is a shame! I wonder if it has to do with where you live. Being I live in the wonderful commonwealth of Pennsylvania maybe the laws are different?? I dunno? I'll ask Steve when I talk with him next.

Don't we not have at least one insurance salesman on the forums that can shear some insight on this?

Last edited: