Stalls when put into gear...

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
Hi,

FZ6 S2

Haven't been around for a while and my bike has been untouched in the garage for a couple of years... Long story...

Anyway, I tried to start her yesterday and the battery couldn't quite make it (understandable)...

So I charged her overnight and she started first thing today - sweet!

However, every time I put her into 1st gear she stalls - rather like the side stand is down but it isn't.

Given that she hasn't been touched for two years and was working perfectly when I put her away, where is the first place to start looking please...?

Thanks in advance for your help...

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you're warm. Start with the side stand switch. It may be stuck in the open position (even though the sidestand is up).

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What was the condition of the fuel left then and the fuel and level now? Was it full then and did you add any fuel stabilizer? If no, I'd opt for sucking, dumping, removing the old fuel and put in fresh. Open the lid and give it the old sniff test. If it stinks of bad fuel, this is another hint it may not burn well.

Will it stay running if opened to say 4000 RPM?

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
What was the condition of the fuel left then and the fuel and level now? Was it full then and did you add any fuel stabilizer? If no, I'd opt for sucking, dumping, removing the old fuel and put in fresh. Open the lid and give it the old sniff test. If it stinks of bad fuel, this is another hint it may not burn well.

Will it stay running if opened to say 4000 RPM?

Thanks for your reply....

She runs beautifully and started first time... I didn't add stabilizer to the fuel...

I've dug out the Haynes manual which has a big section on the 'safety circuit' so I'll work through that tomorrow and report my progress...

Thanks again for all the help here....

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the side stand switch or wiring to the side stand switch. Unless all the clutch plates are stuck together. Can you put it in gear (engine off) pull in the clutch and roll the bike forward and back?

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
Sounds like the side stand switch or wiring to the side stand switch. Unless all the clutch plates are stuck together. Can you put it in gear (engine off) pull in the clutch and roll the bike forward and back?

Thanks...

Yes, I tried that... I can roll the bike back and forwards in 1st with the clutch pulled...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks...

Yes, I tried that... I can roll the bike back and forwards in 1st with the clutch pulled...

Check the side stand switch it may have gotten gummed up and may not be operating properly. There are 2 wires attached to the switch. There have been a few cases of rodent's moving into cars or bike and gnawing through wires. If your bike has been sitting for a long time it would probably be good to also check your air box. :)

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
Check the side stand switch it may have gotten gummed up and may not be operating properly. There are 2 wires attached to the switch. There have been a few cases of rodent's moving into cars or bike and gnawing through wires. If your bike has been sitting for a long time it would probably be good to also check your air box. :)

Thanks...

The Haynes has it all well covered so I'll work through it tomorrow....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks...

The Haynes has it all well covered so I'll work through it tomorrow....

You can save a bunch of time and just remove the switch from the frame without un-plugging it. Put a short stool next to the bike, put the switch atop it. Saves lifting the tank, finding the connector end, etc. Shouldn't take 15 minutes to go thru the switch. I did mine years ago, just for preventive maintainance (after reading of the issue)..

There is a spring inside (one member had it rust out) so watch that doesn't find a new home. A "retractable pen spring" worked as a replacement for his bike.

I'd re-pack with di-lectric grease while your there too..

Haynes likely won't have anything on pulling the switch apart, maybe just un-plugging it. It is pretty simple inside...

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
You can save a bunch of time and just remove the switch from the frame without un-plugging it. Put a short stool next to the bike, put the switch atop it. Saves lifting the tank, finding the connector end, etc. Shouldn't take 15 minutes to go thru the switch. I did mine years ago, just for preventive maintainance (after reading of the issue)..

There is a spring inside (one member had it rust out) so watch that doesn't find a new home. A "retractable pen spring" worked as a replacement for his bike.

I'd re-pack with di-lectric grease while your there too..

Haynes likely won't have anything on pulling the switch apart, maybe just un-plugging it. It is pretty simple inside...

Excellent, thank you!

cyprusgrump

Reaction score
www.virtual-pub.com
Thanks for your help and support guys - the bike is back on the road!

I removed the seat and lifted the tank. Separated the side-stand switch connector and tested it - worked fine.

Then I checked the clutch switch and that too worked fine on the multimeter.

Hoping beyond hope, I fired her up again, dropped first gear and she was fine!

Put her all back together and then off for a quick test-ride...

So, I can only assume that the plunger on the side-stand switch was sticky and I'd freed it with all the buggering about or the connector under the tank was a bot loose or corroded.

BTW, I re-read my OP and realised that it sounded like I'd been away for a stretch! I haven't...

...I purchased a 40 year old Mini (see pic) and re-built it. It took much longer (and more cash) than I'd anticipated and the FZ was trapped at the back of the garage behind the shell and all the associated parts...

Next project - get the TTR230 working again!

Thanks again for your help and useful suggestions.

DSCN0718_zps3dbfa071.jpg

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice Mini!

Yep, boogering with it probably corrected the issue. Sometimes a little oxidation on the pins at the connectors can prevent things from working properly.

Good luck on the FZ and hope there are no more problems.