Speedo Healer and 15t install

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
If you install a new 15t front sproket will you have to put a new chain on??? Also lowering the front sprocket = more toruqe right?

Maybe not more torque per se but surely more acceleration and a more powerful feeling bike. You can get up to speed much faster than before for 2 reasons: 1) lower tooth on front sprocket 2) RPM is closer to power band.

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm sounds interesting :p I'll finish the handlebar mod this weekend and head over to the local dealer to see if they can order it for me, if not I'll order it online. god I hate winters, doing all these mods and having to wait till the weather's good and the salt has been washed away from the roads...

I hear ya. This Sunday night, we'll get low 40s F and rain -- I'm hoping next day is sunny and windy and next day can be cold/warm (just as long as it's dry).

That's basically, a wash and blow-dry of the roads :D.

Dennis

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I was able to confirm my speed with the GPS and it's pretty darn close. It seemed less that a mile an hour off at certain speeds. I do remember at 77mph that it was spot on. Close enough for me.

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know the socket size of the nut on the sprocket???

Also if you've done this to a 2007 please let me know how you got the pinch points pulled back off the shaft. My knuckles are bleeding bad. LOL

Last edited:

pedge1

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered a spedo healer and the 15 tooth sprocket today. When it comes in I will have to make time to install all of my winter mods - 15T mod, FZ1 handlebars, Orange wheel stripes and Moose hand guards. Should be awesome!!!

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know the socket size of the nut on the sprocket???

Also if you've done this to a 2007 please let me know how you got the pinch points pulled back off the shaft. My knuckles are bleeding bad. LOL

I don't know the front sprocket bolt size -- all I know is I don't have a socket of that size. However, I was able to use my socket for the big bolt on the rear wheel (it wasn't a perfect fit for sure but was tight enough to get the job done).

If by pinch bolts, you're referring to the "things that folks say to remove before you can turn the front sprocket bolt" -- I don't know either because mine didn't have any (not sure why). Hopefully someone else can chime in about this for you.

Let your hands rest until someone answers and they'll feel better when you get back to work on this :D.

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered a spedo healer and the 15 tooth sprocket today. When it comes in I will have to make time to install all of my winter mods - 15T mod, FZ1 handlebars, Orange wheel stripes and Moose hand guards. Should be awesome!!!

Dude, you need to get busy :D. Spring is only 1 month and 1 day away. For me, Spring starts March 1st.

One thing about Winter mods is that you have to wait until it gets warm enough to test/adjust things.

Dennis

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine was actually just one piece, by that I mean it was attached to the bolt. I just sharpened the tip of a screwdriver a bit and stuck it in there and tapped them open.

pedge1

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, you need to get busy :D. Spring is only 1 month and 1 day away. For me, Spring starts March 1st.

One thing about Winter mods is that you have to wait until it gets warm enough to test/adjust things.

Dennis

I'll get on it soon, work and my son's basketball season are making it hard to find any time right now. :D

hank

Reaction score
Visit site
Not exactly sure but I think the nut is the same size as the rear axle nut which i believe is 1 1/4''? And the small screwdriver to pop up the tabs on the nut is ideal :p

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick update. I found both front and rear sprocket nutz are 32 mm. Put on new sprocket yesterday but im waiting for speedo healer to get in. Well i was getting itchy so i took the bike out before and after the work... Night and Day difference. Its like riding a whole new bike. Throttle is not need as much and the front is jumpy. All i can say is it better get warmer real soon or im might lose my mind..... Can't wait to move to New Mexico.......

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really love this site; all a guy has to do when he has a question about anything bike related is just watch the forum and VIOLA! The answer appears! I was thinking about the 15t, S/H mod alot lately and you guys just helped me decide. I'm ordering bolth items as soon as I log off! I just wish stupid winter would give up and go away. Dumb groundhog anyway.

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got my 15t over two weeks ago and just yesterday got my speedohealer. 15t came from Delaware and took five days to arrive, SH came from Idaho and took SEVENTEEN days to get here.:confused::confused: Ordered them bolth on the same day! Anyway, I just went out to the garage to start the install but door is frozen shut and I will break the door if I force it. Bummer. Still snow and ice and salt all over so I will have to wait til July so I can ride it looks like. Thanks to Oz for posting pics VERY helpful. This is a great thread.

hank

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got to take mine out for a nice spin since i put the 15t on after it started snowing. WOW is all I can say.... who woulda thought that 1 tooth off the front could make such a difference. It completely transformed the feel of the throttle in each gear. There's no sluggish hesitation like the stock set up.

I haven't ordered a speedo healer and am really debating on parting with the $ right now. does anyone know how far off the speedo averages after installing a 15t front?

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
We all like to use the 11.1% speedo error after 15T install. We got it from the speedohealer site. I checked it with my GPS and it's probably within 1mph.

Also, I lost about 5mpg on this mod.

I have a feeling it's mostly because my right hand behavior has changed :D.

Dennis

2xadv

Reaction score
Visit site
-1 Front means more Chain and Sprocket wear!

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but the significant diameter change on a -1 front sprocket change will greatly increase front sprocket wear-out and also wear the chain much faster. If you really want to change the gearing go to a larger rear sprocket. That little tiny front sprocket will work and feel good, but will increase maintenance requirements and decrease fuel economy from the smaller diameter chain friction. Not to mention the higher RPMs from any lowering of the gearing!
Let the flames begin!