Speedo Healer and 15t install

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I still have not purchased one yet and I really need it. I just rode 200 miles today and had my GPS along, 5 off at 40mph and almost 10 off at 70-80mph. I didn't think it would be that extreme but it was worth it, I wouldn't go back to the 16T.
If I can find someone with one locally can I use it to correct the error without having to keep it attached or does it have to stay on the bike to work?

Katana07

Motorcycle newbie
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having trouble understanding the advantages of a 15T sprocket. :confused: I'm not a physics genius, but wouldn't that do nothing but hurt your performance? Okay, I understand, that putting a smaller sprocket on the front will allow more rpm for each gear which will allow greater acceleration etc.. But once you're in sixth on the highway, what's your rpm at 70mph? 8k? well now you've just blown away all your fuel ecomony and your bike is running really hard when it doesn't have to be. If you're looking for more rpm to increase performance power, can't you simply drop down a gear, so you're pulling higher rpm ready for the beast to come out? Then when your on the highway, it's smooth and getting good gas milage. I'm tempted to see if i can change my front sprocket to a tooth larger to increase economy on the highway. Just my thoughts. Maybe i'm totally missing the point. It's something to talk about anyways. :rolleyes:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having trouble understanding the advantages of a 15T sprocket. :confused: I'm not a physics genius, but wouldn't that do nothing but hurt your performance? Okay, I understand, that putting a smaller sprocket on the front will allow more rpm for each gear which will allow greater acceleration etc.. But once you're in sixth on the highway, what's your rpm at 70mph? 8k? well now you've just blown away all your fuel ecomony and your bike is running really hard when it doesn't have to be. If you're looking for more rpm to increase performance power, can't you simply drop down a gear, so you're pulling higher rpm ready for the beast to come out? Then when your on the highway, it's smooth and getting good gas milage. I'm tempted to see if i can change my front sprocket to a tooth larger to increase economy on the highway. Just my thoughts. Maybe i'm totally missing the point. It's something to talk about anyways. :rolleyes:

It Doesn't play as much a factor in fuel as you would think. ELIZABETH and I fueled up at about the same time today and were both at 1 bar when we refueled. We both rode the same route, I with a 15t sprocket and I was playing a bit myself heavy handing the throttle and a couple gunners to 100+ . She however was the picture of the perfect motorcyclist and we both used about the same amount of fuel. I think I was at about 6,000 rpms at 65+ mph, not uncomfortable to me at all.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
One more thing too, I know it seems you could accomplish the same thing by downshifting but its not the same and I can't say why? For one thing I find myself in a more comfortable rpm range for every gear I am in now. I am doing much less shifting and I don't get that underpowered? sound I used to get when I shift into third or fourth too soon. Hard to explain but easy to enjoy!!:thumbup:

Katana07

Motorcycle newbie
Reaction score
Visit site
That's not much of a change at all really as far as rpm's and speed. I bought a used 2005 FZ6 a few weeks ago, and i'm pulling 5k rpms at 60mph. i'm wondering if the previous owner didn't put one of these sprockets on himself. LOL. i'm going to have to pull the cover off and inspect. Anyways, that's surprising about the fuel usage. What are you averaging as far as mpg's?

Katana07

Motorcycle newbie
Reaction score
Visit site
I will agree with you on the underpowered engine bog if you shift too early. i get that somewhat frequently, but i'm a newbie too;)

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
OK.. did the math. From a full tank I went 187 actual miles(not what bike says the speedos off because of sprocket). When I refilled I put in 3.96 gallons for a grand total of 47.2 mpg. I am surprised at that number myself, but there was 3/4 the trip constant throttle on interstate and long county roads at legal speeds.

Good Times!!

Katana07

Motorcycle newbie
Reaction score
Visit site
That is impressive fuel economy. i'm taking a road trip in a few weeks. i'm going to verify my 16T sprocket and measure gas mileage on the trip. i'll get back with you on it.

Postal1979

Reaction score
Visit site
Just did this mod today. Yeah with the -1 front tooth its a -11.1 change on the speedo healer. Really easy to do. Thanks to OZ for the pics. Made it even easier! I didnt get the blood blister though. Had to run to store to get a socket to take off sprocket nut which made it really fast on and off.

Dave G

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this mod a couple weeks ago. Thanks OZ for the pics and write up it was helpfull. I guess my expectations of the 15T was a little high, the front gets alittle lighter on hard exeleration and I pulled a little power wheely on my first try, but I don't know its ok. As for the speedohealer I am very impresed! I dont know how accuret it was stock ( on those radar boxes on the side of the road it said I was off by about 3mph at 35 I dont think those are very accurat either) But I took my gps with me after I installed the healer and I'm within 1/2mph all the way up to 70mph with it set at 11.1. I didnt check on speeds higher because of road conditions.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Does adding the smaller sprocket mess up your turning...via longer wheelbase?

The most that would change is a few mm, which I don't anyone other than Rossi could tell the difference in. A shorter wheelbase would make turn in easier. A longer wheelbase would make it a little more difficult but would increase straight line stability. Of course this is talking about a few inches, not a few mm.

Stevenator

I'll be back...eventually
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Oz for the OP and pics. You inspired me to do this mod this winter. I picked up the 15T... and got a Speedo Healer for Xmas!!! So ya, did the mod, got it all mounted and back together, with one little hitch... the chain now ticks on the plastic chain guard that sits on top of the swing arm... I am assuming it is from the reduced sprocket diameter. Did you, or has anybody else had this problem? I started my baby up and ran her on the center stand, everything else works perfectly, except the chain passing by that guard. Before I take her out and put it to her on the freeway and in the twisties, I figured I would ask if any of you have had this issue, and if its that big of a deal... since the chain will beat the plastic into submission... :spank:

SeekGod1st

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Oz for the OP and pics. You inspired me to do this mod this winter. I picked up the 15T... and got a Speedo Healer for Xmas!!! So ya, did the mod, got it all mounted and back together, with one little hitch... the chain now ticks on the plastic chain guard that sits on top of the swing arm... I am assuming it is from the reduced sprocket diameter. Did you, or has anybody else had this problem? I started my baby up and ran her on the center stand, everything else works perfectly, except the chain passing by that guard. Before I take her out and put it to her on the freeway and in the twisties, I figured I would ask if any of you have had this issue, and if its that big of a deal... since the chain will beat the plastic into submission... :spank:
I had a similiar issue and decided to cut the chain slack to 1 1/2" and check it regularly. The chain slack is supposed to be 1 3/4" - 2 1/4" but I didn't feel comfortable with the chain slap, the problem was cured.

This is what I did and in no way am I saying that this was correct but when I started researching other recommended chain slack advice it was always 1" - 1 1/2" so I decided to try it. I feel comfortable with it so far.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similiar issue and decided to cut the chain slack to 1 1/2" and check it regularly. The chain slack is supposed to be 1 3/4" - 2 1/4" but I didn't feel comfortable with the chain slap, the problem was cured.

This is what I did and in no way am I saying that this was correct but when I started researching other recommended chain slack advice it was always 1" - 1 1/2" so I decided to try it. I feel comfortable with it so far.

+1 that's what I did also :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

You have to remember to that on the centerstand, the swing arm is hanging down at its farthest point making the rubbing, the worst. Once its on the ground, especially with a rider atop, the swing arm will be higher (the swing arm more level) and the chain more level.

Scott

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i already got the 15t sprocket..but jumped on the speedo healer band wagon this morning using the link provided..free shipping to the UK too and ive already got a update that its been dispatched..early indication seem pashnit are a decent outfit

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet. Unfortunately, I got one of these from the UPS tracking site: "MERCHANDISE IS MISSING. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH ADDITIONAL DETAILS. / ALL MERCHANDISE MISSING, EMPTY CARTON WAS DISCARDED. UPS WILL NOTIFY THE SENDER WITH DETAILS OF THE DAMAGE; DAMAGE REPORTED / DAMAGE CLAIM UNDER INVESTIGATION".

Should've been delivered 12/29/09 :spank::spank: UPS, :Flip:

I now understand what it means when a New Englander says -- man, I was bullsh*.

Dennis