Speedo Healer and 15t install

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
heh modding fever is hitting me hard, probably because I can't ride because of the snow and salt, and now I'm thinking about doing this as well.

Are the pics in any chance somewhere still available?
I'm slightly worried about the speado healer install??
The sprocket I'll manage, but electronics scare me, and I have a job as IT admin at a local hospital :spank:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are the pics in any chance somewhere still available?
I'm slightly worried about the speado healer install??
The sprocket I'll manage, but electronics scare me, and I have a job as IT admin at a local hospital :spank:

The pics are still in my album Drinky,you can view them there.
I will repost them in the original post when I get home.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woohoo!! im off work today with Man Flu..postie got me out of bed with a little treat this morning

DSC00399.jpg

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet. Hey, I'm expecting a speedo healer soon too -- why do you have 2 packages? I only ordered the speedo healer -- did I need to order a harness too?

Thanks,

Dennis

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
did I need to order a harness too?

Dennis

I would of thought so..the harness is FZ6 specific, iirc i think there are two types for different years..it will plug inline with the existing spedo harness.

the speedohealer comes with no wiring other than the top speed memory button

Last edited:

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis..did you find out about the harness?...when i ordered mine i was prompted to order the appropriate harness..just wondered depending on the site you ordered from ,it may be selected just by the the ordering method of that particular site

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis..did you find out about the harness?...when i ordered mine i was prompted to order the appropriate harness..just wondered depending on the site you ordered from ,it may be selected just by the the ordering method of that particular site

Yes, when I ordered the speedo healer, it came with 2 bags -- one for the unit and one for the harness. I also called to verify.

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Ozfazer6, thank you for posting the instructions as they were helpful :rockon:.

Finally, I put my Vortex 15T sprocket and Speedohealer v4 on. :cheer:

Just a little bit about the installation: For loosening the front sprocket, I put a piece of wood on top of the swing arm (and across to the other side so the rear wheel spoke will rest on it) to keep the rear wheel from turning while I turned the sprocket bolt counter clockwise. For installing, I stepped on the rear brake with my right foot (while standing to the right of the bike) and then leaning over the bike to turn the sprocket bolt clockwise for tightening. Both methods I got from this forum somewhere. I also used one of those chain alignment tools to realign the chain -- it worked out well.

I ran with 15T sprocket only for about 50 miles.

Some observations:

As with the 16T sprocket, I found that 4th gear RPM divided by 1000 was equal to indicated speedometer speed (e.g., 4K RPM = 40mph indicated). With the Speedohealer, this was still true -- but in 5th gear.

The 15T sprocket puts every gear in a higher RPM (i.e., closer to the power band making the bike that much more responsive). I think it really transforms the bike into something different -- more sporty and an "all-business" feel. With 16T, I rarely used 6th gear as there didn't seem to be enough torque to keep things interesting. With 15T, I finally get to use 6th gear on the highway too. I use 5th gear more now on the back roads when I'm just cruising around and the bike feels very responsive.

The way I ride, I tend to keep the bike in or near the powerband. With the 15T, this works out well even in 6th gear. This is true even on slower back roads.

The Speedohealer v4 is a great addition to this bike -- wow! I now have an actual speedometer and I don't have to calculate my actual speed -- woohoo! Also, I can look at my speedometer and see my speed instead of having to glance at my GPS (smaller speed indicator) to find out my real speed. The v4 has a top speed indicator that requires you to press some button attached to the Speedohealer unit via some long wire -- I won't mount this up (too much clutter).

In the end, I really like this mod and intend to keep it and still will keep the 16T around just in case I want to convert (e.g., to sell the bike or to put myself on "speed/torque probation"). There is one big problem, the torque is much better and the bike gets up to speed a bit faster -- the power is intoxicating and addictive and I need to be more careful to avoid wheelies or excessive speed.

This pic shows what I got when I pressed the "top speed" button :spank:

4291392876_d3c4121bf3.jpg

I think a radar detector may be useful :D.

Dennis

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hmm sounds interesting :p I'll finish the handlebar mod this weekend and head over to the local dealer to see if they can order it for me, if not I'll order it online. god I hate winters, doing all these mods and having to wait till the weather's good and the salt has been washed away from the roads...

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this has been done to death,but what calibration setting did you input..i think i did the 11.1 but it doesnt seem right..ive only had chance to take it up and down the drive way a couple of times

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
If you install a new 15t front sproket will you have to put a new chain on??? Also lowering the front sprocket = more toruqe right?

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
If you install a new 15t front sproket will you have to put a new chain on??? Also lowering the front sprocket = more toruqe right?

No... as long as you order the correct sprocket you don't need a new chain just be sure to get the 15T 530 sprocket. As far as more torque, not really more just torque moved to a happier and more usable place. You will feel like you have more torque although technically you don't really have more. You will not regret this easy and cheap mod, my personal favorite!

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the sprocket speedo healer and power commander 5 all in one shot last month. Now this bike runs like it's suppose to. Totally satisfied now.