Soft Pannier racks/bars for as little as $6...that work!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm...I will have to do this mod the next time I go baby seal hunting then. Always have the problem of the seals drooping into my rear wheel when cornering hard on the way home. Very good!

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
That is truly amazing :thumbup:

So simple when you look at it.

I've been pondering how to get soft panniers on without it looking like this . . . .

(photo of some random Fazer I spotted today)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is truly amazing :thumbup:

So simple when you look at it.

I've been pondering how to get soft panniers on without it looking like this . . . .

(photo of some random Fazer I spotted today)

Lol! That is exactly what i was trying to avoid...hours of worry on the road, cause my gear keeps moving about, or worse...imagine that guy's mindset when riding...it would'nt be fully focused on the job at hand, i know mine would'nt be if my panniers were sitting like that!

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm...I will have to do this mod the next time I go baby seal hunting then. Always have the problem of the seals drooping into my rear wheel when cornering hard on the way home. Very good!

Your gonna have all the "tree huggers" shaking their heads Lone!!!! :spank:

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Well since shipping on a baby seal might be a bit expensive, lets have wolfman test with koala's! Always good to use local stuff

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
nice work.
1. A couple of questions, will the rear pegs still fold up with the bracket attached?
2. Would you be willing to make a set for me? Prepared to pay or you can have a free nights accommodation at my place on your way to the MotoGP (including garaged accom for your bike). I am at Geelong and the ferry from Queenscliff to Sorrento is $30 and saves you driving through and around Melb.
Cheers bloke,
Rumps

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nice work.
1. A couple of questions, will the rear pegs still fold up with the bracket attached?
2. Would you be willing to make a set for me? Prepared to pay or you can have a free nights accommodation at my place on your way to the MotoGP (including garaged accom for your bike). I am at Geelong and the ferry from Queenscliff to Sorrento is $30 and saves you driving through and around Melb.
Cheers bloke,
Rumps

Re question 1, the rear pegs still fold up, and the bolt securing the bars to the pillion peg mount, does not foul the swingarm, when the rear suspension is at the end of it's compression stroke...this was tested 2up today.

Re question 2. No problem, i am already making a set for Humpy, and it really is no trouble...re the Accom, trust me, at least one of the guys i am going with you dont want in your house! Nasty drunk! But i may take you up on that offer, one day, when me and the lil missus go for a quick overnighter to the GOR....which is definitely a goer, as the weather gets warmer...

PM me your address details, and we will make up some sets on the weekend, and send em out next Monday...

They will come finished in black killrust paint...no glam, just something to keep them looking neat.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Soft Pannier racks...on their way people!

Rightio...tomorrow is the day...finally gonna get round to making those soft pannier racks/bars for a couple of ya's...so far i have an order from Mr Rumpole, and i am waiting for Humpy's measurements for a set for his XJR???

Anyone else want a set whilst i am there???

This is a once only offer, after i make this lot, i aint making anymore...

I am even going to paint this lot...black killrust! and put a slightly longer thread on each end for fine adjustment of the width of the racks/bars!!!

Speak now, or forever hold your peace folks!

Oh, by the way, this offer only extends to Aussie forum users, and i am not charging anyone for making them....these are FREE! yep, you read right!

Oh, and you need to have your OEM rear fender in place for these racks/bars to work.

:D

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Soft Pannier racks...on their way people!

Since you aren't fabbing any for us Yanks, I assume you don't mind if I rip off your idea. I really like the simplicity and ease of use. Nice work. The only thing I might do differently is have the missus sew some velcro loops on the soft bags so I don't have to deal with the cable ties.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site

Those racks are really nice, and you are nicer to do this.
I see people paying so much money for ugly rack, I wish I was in Australia
I will pay for at least for the material and of curse a visit to the bar.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well, i finally got round to making the Pannier bars tonight...made 4 sets!

They are still hanging up in the shed at the moment, as i gave them a a couple of coats of Killrust enamel paint once i had cut the round bar, bent it, tapped all of the threads (M8, 1.25), and finally sanded the steel back ready for paint, taped off the threads with tape before paint to keep them nice and clean...(oh the blisters!...well one small one! :D)

Finished each bar off with a standard stainless nut, a stainless nylox nut and 2 x 8mm exhaust washers.

When the paint is properly dry in a day or so, i will send Mr Rumpy his set, and Kris...just send me your address via PM, and i will send you a set too...

That means i have one more set left, hanging in the shed...so first in, best dibs!

I do have enough 8mm round bar to do about 6 more sets...but as is usual with me, it's just a matter of when i can escape to the shed for long enough to do it!

Here's a couple of pics....not on the bike though as yet...waiting for that paint to dry.

View attachment 30111

View attachment 30112

I am quite happy with the way they have come up...the hand tapped threads are a bit scratchy to look at, but work fine, other than that, the paint has come up well, and i modified the design, by lengthening a thing or two, shortening another bit, and making the threads on each end longer, for more adjustability, when mounting them....you can now have them at full extension, and have lots of clearance between your bagsm and the rear indicators, and side pods, but this will remove the ability to fold your rear footpegs.

Or you can have them mounted, closer to the frame of the bike at the front, enabling you to fold your rear footpegs, with the bars in place, but you then will probably need to put a little bit of tape on your side pod, depending on the panniers, just to make sure it does not rub.

Either way, the indicators, exhaust, etc, are all kept well away from trouble with these racks in place...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Oh, and for those of you who have not seen these bars on an FZ6....

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/32604-soft-pannier-racks-bars-little-6-work.html

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I also added this tonight!
View attachment 30118

I am calling it the "Scratch flap"...it's a 1.5mm thick piece of firm rubber, with cotton reinforcement within it, cut to fit under the little square cover thing that holds the flap, to keep water out from your tail light, at the rear of the underside of the seat. I punched a hole in the middle of the "scratch flap", exactly where the fastening bolt holds that little cover thing on with, and then replaced the cover...result, the "scratch flap" is perfectly solidly mounted, with no cable ties, tape, etc, needed! Best part is, now my soft pannier bag straps wont scratch the sides of the bike, and the "scratch flap" will come off, or go back on, in about 30 seconds...

I recommend using something like this, if you wanna look after your bikes appearance, when using soft pannier bags...

I might even put a secondary strip further towardss the front of the seat, which comes out to cover both the side pods, to prevent the pannier bags rubbing on the side pods...