Soft Pannier racks/bars for as little as $6...that work!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, am in the middle of prepping one of my FZ6's into a decent, practical touring steed, getting ready for a big summer of touring, later this year, and early next year.

As part of this, i bought some decent soft pannier cases, to accompany my Yamaha top case rack & top case.

Now my new soft panniers are great, but in reality, no soft case is going to sit straight on the rear of a bike, they ae always going to "sag" inwards, and down...So, if you want them to work properly, i reckon you have 2 choices, 1. Go buy some aftermarket soft luggage racks from Givi, or the like, or get smart, and cheap, and make your own "rack", "bracket", "support", whatever you want to call it....but something that ultimately prevents the soft panniers from pulling down, and sagging inwards, towards the sides of your rear wheel....

So after lots of research, and finding a thread on here, where another FZ6 forum member had done something very similar, if not identical, to what i am about to share with you, i decided to work with this idea, and make my own soft pannier bars.

Ok, after a fair bit of standing around thinking about exactly how i was going to do it, followed by a trip to the local hardware shop, for some more thinking, i came up with the following....

A $6 piece of 8mm round bar, bent in the bench vice, threaded with an 8mm x 1.25mm thread, with the ol' tap & dye set....mount on bike...including measuring, it took 2 beers to do, from start to finish....bout an hour, for those of you that are not drunks!!!:D

Photo 1....The pannier bars installed! Still need to be painted with some black killrust.
View attachment 29805

Photo's 2&3...How i mounted them....at the rear, normal nut on the outside, with washer, which i can adjust inwards, or outwards as i desire for differeing width. On the inside side of the rear fender, a Nylock nut, to fasten. At the front, simple nut and Exhaust washer set up....
View attachment 29806

View attachment 29807

Photo's 4,5, &6....with the panniers mounted on ther bike. As you can see, i made the racks as "narrow" as possible, with the inside edge of the panniers being flush with the OEM rear indicators, as i wanted to reduce total width as much as possible...whilst the cases are flush with the indicators, there is no way they can push inwards on the indicators, because of the new bars, but regardless, i will be changing my rear indicators from OEM, to some shorter LED indicators, before i go touring...as you can see in photo 6.
View attachment 29808

View attachment 29809

View attachment 29810

Photo 7...you can see where the case sits hard up against the bar, later after i took these photo's, i used a decent size cable tie on each of the clips on the cases at each end to secure the cases to the bar...this not only secured them, but it also lifted up the caes slightly, and completed the installation, giving a very secure and firm fit.
View attachment 29811

So, all i have to do now, is paint the bars wirth killrust, and fit the smaller indicators, and the job is complete....beats paying hundreds of dollars for aftermarket racks, with the added advantage of being able to remove, or re-fit the bars in about 5 minutes, when desired.

parts needed...

1. about 1.5metres of 8mm steel bar
2. Tap & Dye set, to make 8mm thread for securing the bars to the bike.
3. Some exhaust washers, and a couple of normal 8mm washers.
4. a can of killrust.
5. 8mm nut's, both normal, and nylock.
6. a drill.
7. a decent bench vise.
8. a hammer.
9. a measuring tape.
10. hacksaw.
11. bench grinder.
12. beer!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
holy ****.

and I thought I was being impressive and McGeyver-ish with that PVC pipe over the rear pegs and zip ties! This makes that look barbaric. Good job.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone give this man some rep !!!!!!!! (i need to share some lovin')

That is a serioulsy awesome idea , i was wondering what to do & now i know :thumbup: Thanks for sharing mate :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
two things i did not put in the first post....

1. make sure you use 8mm round bar, it does not flex under load, unlike 6mm round bar.

2. The rear fender is very much solid enough to use as a mounting point, in fact, not only is it strong enough, but by putting the rack on, it actually strengthens it even more...

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
two things i did not put in the first post....

1. make sure you use 8mm round bar, it does not flex under load, unlike 6mm round bar.

2. The rear fender is very much solid enough to use as a mounting point, in fact, not only is it strong enough, but by putting the rack on, it actually strengthens it even more...

Oh, and, the hole, for the rear mounting position, is already on your bike, it is the hole that used to mount your rear OEM reflectors! you just need to drill it out to 8mm, to fit the bars... :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The first time in the history of forums anyone has ever self-quoted-double-posted.

I was actually just trying to edit the post i ended up quoting....dunno what happened, it just turned out that way...same result...info added.

:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work mate :thumbup:

Many years ago I had some gearsack panniers ,they came with their own universal support brackets .

Those were the days, when gear makers, included the brackets/racks, etc, needed to finish the job, without charging you extra for it, or just including it in the price....these days, you pay extra, and normally way too much...Ventura is a case in point....$50 for a short bar for your bag rack...it should come as part of the rack in the first place...it's a $2 piece of steel, with powdercoating, and a couple of 20c end caps....

:(

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
its the greatest marketing success story of all time.

take the most visually recognized item and make that cost what the MAXIMUM people will pay for it (basic market forces of level of demand for something dictating price). So if people will pay 400 bucks to use a camera, then sell the camera for 400 bucks. people in their minds are now purchasing the camera for a price they feel is fair. The camera is the item they are paying for as that is what they see in their heads when they think "I want to own a camera".

then you grind every last dollar out of them with things they NEED to USE the camera until they literally are gouged to the point where they dont want to buy the camera anymore......but you stop a couple bucks BEFORE you hit that point.

And viola! Higher margin sales!!!!

(note...replace camera with anything on the market today)

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
Something I will no doubt check out tomorrow wolf. Would be very handy on the next GOR trip.

Kudos..

PS. If it takes you an hour to finish 2 beers I better tell the wife we wont be home until much later than initially expected LOL.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Something I will no doubt check out tomorrow wolf. Would be very handy on the next GOR trip.

Kudos..

PS. If it takes you an hour to finish 2 beers I better tell the wife we wont be home until much later than initially expected LOL.

Re the Beers, i had to drive to the otherside of Adelaide after! hence why i only drank 2!

:D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job Jamie :thumbup:

You're giving Mike ideas for his XJR now :D

I am making Humpy a set for his "armchair", can make that 2 sets??? no charge, just cause i have the stuff left over to do it, i even have access to an "armchair" to check things on...

Let me know if Mike is up for a set?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am making Humpy a set for his "armchair", can make that 2 sets??? no charge, just cause i have the stuff left over to do it, i even have access to an "armchair" to check things on...

Let me know if Mike is up for a set?

Cheers Jamie. Once he decides what he's going to do, we'll let you know :D

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Really nice :thumbup:
I was just thinking on getting the Givi hard side cases, the only thing that stoped me is that the frame is expensive and a big deal to take off for 2 up riding.
I will try to do this mod and get soft panniers.

Thank you

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rode to work tonight with about 10kg's in each bag....had bags cable tied to rack as i said i would...the bags were as solid as a rock, no movement at all!

:D:D:D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes. But can they support the weight of a large baby seal? That will be the truest test for these racks.

Mate, i reckon you could put about 40kg's against them, and they would not budge! 8mm bar is pretty sturdy, and not prone to flex at the length it is....

So if you can get me 2 Baby Seals in Oz, i will give it a go!!! :eek: